ROTEL & NAD vs the others. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : ROTEL & NAD vs the others.

Highgear
02-19-2006, 11:21 AM
I was at the audio store the other day checking out the Paradigm speakers and saw the two above brands I never new existed. The salesman went on to explain how they were superior to most other like Onkyo, or should I say discount house brands. He said they were much heavier and had different components inside that processed the music better. Can anyone explain this and how it is better? :confused: I looked at the reviews on this web site and they were just like the rest in scores.

kexodusc
02-19-2006, 11:30 AM
These companies make receivers using the same high quality components found in their separate amplifiers and pre-amps. They usually have bigger power supplies, and greater quality componentry throughout the circuitry than the likes of Onkyo, Denon, etc.

But they cost more too. And while they do sound a better, you'll find the improvements aren't as big and noticeable as the difference between higher quality speakers.
There comes a point for some people where the move to quality components like these over your "discount house brands" is needed. Most people probably do just fine with an Onkyo or whatever.

emorphien
02-19-2006, 01:30 PM
I looked at the reviews on this web site and they were just like the rest in scores.
You can't compare the scores of different tiers of gear to each other. Compare the NAD to the Rotel to Cambridge to etc but not to the mass market receivers. The people who have only owned receivers will all rate them highly if there are no glaring problems. People who buy higher end equipment will if anything be more critical.

Highgear
02-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Good point.

You can't compare the scores of different tiers of gear to each other. Compare the NAD to the Rotel to Cambridge to etc but not to the mass market receivers. The people who have only owned receivers will all rate them highly if there are no glaring problems. People who buy higher end equipment will if anything be more critical.

accastil
02-23-2006, 03:34 AM
stop looking at scores and listening to salesmen. instead, have a good listen to these brands and see how they differe with the more familiar brands...yes indeed, they belong to a different level, and youll realize that once you have a good listen at them.

Francois1968
03-12-2006, 05:36 AM
I think the amplifier / reciever is just as important as the speakers. Only a good amplifier can really show the potential of your speakers.
The differences between budget- and midend or highendrecievers are huge. If you can't hear those difference it's time to replace your speakers.