Progressive Scan [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Scan

Ace H
02-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Pardon what may appear to be a "dumb" question here, but......in order to use the progressive scan function of a DVD player, does the TV also have to be capable of that function?

edtyct
02-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Yes, either 480p or 720p at this point. The upper-end HD format of 1080p has little play in consumer video as yet, but it's just a matter of time. You need either an HD-capable set or one designated as ED, or enhanced definition, which taps out at 480p.

Geoffcin
02-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Pardon what may appear to be a "dumb" question here, but......in order to use the progressive scan function of a DVD player, does the TV also have to be capable of that function?

You also have to connect it with Component jacks (3) to get progressive performance.

Oh, and it's NOT a dumb question.

Ace H
02-18-2006, 08:25 PM
My DVD player does not mention the TV must be capable of that function. Instructions only state "during stop, press progressive button on remote". Thanks again.

Ace H
02-20-2006, 05:53 AM
You also have to connect it with Component jacks (3) to get progressive performance.

Oh, and it's NOT a dumb question.

It's connected with component jacks. (I forgot to say that earlier)

Geoffcin
02-20-2006, 05:56 AM
It's connected with component jacks. (I forgot to say that earlier)
Any TV with component jack inputs IS progressive capable.

Geoffcin
02-20-2006, 06:18 AM
Geofficin,

Technically, that's not true, though it may get to that point. Component video can be either progressive or interlaced. Some of us were using interlaced component connections back in the days of laserdisc, and I'm sure that the last of the non-HD CRTs still carry component jacks, though they aren't capable of anything better than interlaced, standard definition.

Ed

Although I don't think a decent non-progressive capable TV has been made in the last 5 years or so with component input. Of course this doesn't include all the 25" sharps that sell at K-mart for $129. (do they even have component inputs?!)

edtyct
02-20-2006, 06:20 AM
Geofficin,

Technically, that's not true, though it may get to that point. Component video can be either progressive or interlaced. Some of us were using interlaced component connections back in the days of laserdisc, and I'm sure that the last of the non-HD CRTs still carry component jacks, though they aren't capable of anything better than interlaced, standard definition.

Ed