Speaker Question?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Question??

J2phat4u
02-17-2006, 05:47 PM
I currently have a H/K AVR7200 and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for speakers under $1,500 for H/T. I want to get the best sound i can and the current speakers i have right now in a 7.1 setup sound ok but i know it can sound better.

EdwardGein
02-17-2006, 06:38 PM
I currently have a H/K AVR7200 and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for speakers under $1,500 for H/T. I want to get the best sound i can and the current speakers i have right now in a 7.1 setup sound ok but i know it can sound better.

Orb Audio Mod 1 System (www.orbaudio.com)

Woochifer
02-17-2006, 07:07 PM
If you already have a spare pair of speakers lying around, I would suggest that you dedicate your budget to finding the best pair of speakers within your price range, and if you still have some budget left over, then buy the front three speakers together. You can always add the matching surround speakers and subwoofer later on as your budget allows. The incremental approach to building your home theater will allow you to build towards a higher level of performance in the long run.

If you spend all $1,500 on seven speakers plus a subwoofer, then you have a much narrower range of performance options to choose from. In general, I've found that all-in-one speaker packages usually leave something to be desired, and typically come with a lower performing subwoofer than you can get by purchasing it separately. You might like the 7.1 package options available at that price point, or you might decide that a pair of $1,500 speakers is more to your liking and sound good enough to patiently add the ancillary matching speakers more gradually.

Best thing to do is visit a local specialty retailer, and start listening to speakers. They will likely carry a selection of speakers with a wider range of performance and price points than you would find at a Best Buy or Circuit City. The key is to keep as many options open up front as possible, and then sift through the tradeoffs as you do your listenings and develop your preferences and short lists.

accastil
02-23-2006, 04:32 AM
i agree with wooch, have your budget concentrated on the front speakers for the meantime. buy the rear and/or the center at a later time. good choices would be paradigm, dyna audio, triangle, mordaunt short, nht.

kexodusc
02-23-2006, 04:37 AM
I'll 3rd this recommendation. Your surround channels (especially 6th and 7th speakers) contribute much less than the front 3 speakers. Your total sound quality and enjoyment will be greatly enhanced by concentrating on these.
Do you have subwoofer? If not, that would be the next addition after the front 3 speakers.
$1500 can go pretty far in the used market, on ebay, or audiogon.com.