Listening to a comp for the first time is good [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Listening to a comp for the first time is good

Davey
02-17-2006, 02:13 PM
I love that first time listening to one of your own comps. You rip a ton of songs from a big stack of different CDs, then you load them all in Roxio or whatever you use and see it's about 120 minutes worth of music which won't fit on a 80 minute CD-R, so you do a quick first perusal and throw out some of the songs that obviously don't go with the flow developing in your head, and then you do a second and then a third iteration to pare it down some more, and then you have one or two songs that you really fret over because by this time they all have some personal baggage attached, but you have to cut them loose anyway, and you get it under 80 minutes so start moving them around and maybe doing some compression stuff to get them up around the same average volume level, because you're a professional geek, and you probably listen to some segments on your computer and move some tracks around to get it about like what you want, because again you're a professional geek, and then you pull out one of your 80 minute CD-Rs and burn off the first copy. And when it's finally done, you anxiously slip it in the big rig slot and give it that first listen. What a long, strange trip it's been ;)

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1926317&postcount=2497

Mr MidFi
02-17-2006, 02:51 PM
So I'm reading your post, and I'm identifying with it a lot, and specifically relating it to my own recent comp-making escapade from about 2 weeks ago. So I click thru the link and lo and behold...there's two of the same tracks that made the cut on my last comp. (Specifically, "Gideon" and "Bom Bom Bom".)

If you wouldn't mind setting me up with one of them thangs, I'd be much obliged.

Happy weekend.

3-LockBox
02-17-2006, 03:03 PM
I love that first time listening to one of your own comps. You rip a ton of songs from a big stack of different CDs, then you load them all in Roxio or whatever you use and see it's about 120 minutes worth of music which won't fit on a 80 minute CD-R, so you do a quick first perusal and throw out some of the songs that obviously don't go with the flow developing in your head, and then you do a second and then a third iteration to pare it down some more, and then you have one or two songs that you really fret over because by this time they all have some personal baggage attached, but you have to cut them loose anyway, and you get it under 80 minutes so start moving them around and maybe doing some compression stuff to get them up around the same average volume level, because you're a professional geek, and you probably listen to some segments on your computer and move some tracks around to get it about like what you want, because again you're a professional geek, and then you pull out one of your 80 minute CD-Rs and burn off the first copy. And when it's finally done, you anxiously slip it in the big rig slot and give it that first listen. What a long, strange trip it's been ;)

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1926317&postcount=2497

So now we're your personal diary?

;)

3-LockBox
02-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Actually, I can relate.

So tell me, does it happen to bug the crap out of your significant other that you can spend hours ripping, manipulating, compiling, arranging and burning when there are weeds in the flower beds?

Hypothetically speaking, that is...:rolleyes:

Davey
02-17-2006, 03:17 PM
So I'm reading your post, and I'm identifying with it a lot, and specifically relating it to my own recent comp-making escapade from about 2 weeks ago. So I click thru the link and lo and behold...there's two of the same tracks that made the cut on my last comp. (Specifically, "Gideon" and "Bom Bom Bom".)

If you wouldn't mind setting me up with one of them thangs, I'd be much obliged.

Happy weekend.
Remind me of your address in a PM. Did I send you a copy of the CRSV10? I don't even have you in the list. I used to be so organized, but then I met this ditzy blonde and all of a sudden I became a poster child for mental illness. Yeah, blame it on Canada ;)

Davey
02-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Actually, I can relate.

So tell me, does it happen to bug the crap out of your significant other that you can spend hours ripping, manipulating, compiling, arranging and burning when there are weeds in the flower beds?

Well, to be honest, the more I'm outasite, the better. But this only took a few minutes. Quick and dirty, like one of those disposable Sloshy comps.

-Jar-
02-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Actually, I can relate.

My wife has a hobby too, knitting. But with her hobby, she makes useful things.

I sometimes feel like my hobby isn't very respectable because it's so selfish.

But here's some interesting stats, the # of comps I made per year starting in 2001.

I was married in Feb of 2003.

2001: 34
2002: 32
2003: 30
2004: 26
2005: 8

Note that in 2005, my youngest turned TWO.

AND learned how to use the computer...

-jar

Davey
02-19-2006, 03:44 PM
My wife has a hobby too, knitting. But with her hobby, she makes useful things.

I sometimes feel like my hobby isn't very respectable because it's so selfish.

But here's some interesting stats, the # of comps I made per year starting in 2001.

I was married in Feb of 2003.

2001: 34
2002: 32
2003: 30
2004: 26
2005: 8

Note that in 2005, my youngest turned TWO.

AND learned how to use the computer...

-jar

Wow, whaddaya do with all those comps in previous years??!! Heehee, I just checked and I did 5 last year. Or maybe it was 6, but I only kept a record for 5. I had a big peak in 2001, but since I've been in a steady decline (I mean my comp making!). But from my favorite song of 2001, "Forget your sweet decline - this is the longest goodbye." (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/reviews.htm#Califone_Roomsound) ;)

2000: 6
2001: 22
2002: 12
2003: 5
2004: 4
2005: 5
2006: 1+

My latest wound up kinda weird. It's called New Disguise, but don't ask why, although I could probably just say it comes from the first song. I suspect you might see a copy before long. Just a warning ...

1. Brainiac - Fresh New Eyes/Nothing Ever Changes
2. Devo - Satisfaction/Girl U Want
3. Laika - 44 Robbers
4. Pixies - Here Comes Your Man
5. Enon - Window Display
6. The Dismemberment Plan - What Do You Want Me to Say
7. Califone - 2 Sisters Drunk on Each Other
8. The Black Heart Procession + Solbakken - Voiture En Rouge (with Rachael Rose)
9. Hector Zazou - Indiana Moon (with Lisa Germano)
10. Nine Horses - The Banality of Evil
11. Tindersticks - Can We Start Again
12. The Flaming Stars - She's Gone
13. My Morning Jacket - Gideon
14. Radar Brothers - Papillon
15. Fiery Furnaces - Tropical-Iceland/Cousin Chris/Sweet Spots

Stone
02-19-2006, 04:07 PM
I remember when I used to make comps.

Slosh
02-19-2006, 04:10 PM
I don't make comps anymore; I make playlists, and often they're really good and I try to cut 'em down to 80 minutes and then I'll burn a CD-RW to listen to in the car. I change my mind so often nowadays that I don't see a whole lot of point in making a CD-R when I'll likely want to change things around a bit a week or so later, and then move on to a completely different set of songs, and on and on and on . . .

Ex Lion Tamer
02-20-2006, 07:32 AM
I remember when I used to make comps.

Me too. I like 'em. Like receiving them in the mail. Just can't bring myself to making them anymore. Just lazy I guess.

-Jar-
02-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Wow, whaddaya do with all those comps in previous years??!!

put 'em in a case.. try to keep from losing them.

list them here:

http://www.artofthemix.org/AOTMCommunity/profile.asp?intMemberID=640

If I can ever get my butt to the post office, I got a few I've been meaning to send you.

you'd probably like this one:

<a href="http://www.artofthemix.org/FindAMix/getcontents.asp?strMixID=98560">Sloshing Around</a>

:)

-jar

Davey
02-20-2006, 10:51 AM
you'd probably like this one:

<a href="http://www.artofthemix.org/FindAMix/getcontents.asp?strMixID=98560">Sloshing Around</a>

:)

-jar
Yeah, I might've heard a few of those people before, once or twice. I don't really have enough CDs right now to be making comps since most of them are in storage, but I do it anyway, just because it's still fun to string songs together in my own unique way and pretend it's something special. Guess the inbreeding on my playlists is starting to get obvious ;)