Minimum Requirement [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Requirement

Bernd
02-17-2006, 03:59 AM
I have been wondering for a while what the minimum requirement would be, for fellow AR members, before the percieved sound becomes bland.The love of music is a given and I am not asking if you can enjoy music, I can enjoy music in my car.I am interested when does the sound stops to be special for you and turns bland.

I run three systems in my house,The Listening Room,The Living Room and one in the Office/Dining Room (Teac 300 system into Wharfedale Diamond 8.1).
In the listening room I don't even mange to read two sentences when the system is on as the mind wants to listen, but in the Office I easy can do Paperwork etc.,but can also enjoy some of the recorded magic if a fav. comes on. I have tried an all in one Teac system once and the sound turned bland. So I reckon I reached my minimum. Be interesting to know what yours is.

The power of music gives you wings

Bernd

Florian
02-17-2006, 04:27 AM
I can enjoy music on my laptop or in the car but as a home system, for me the bare minimum was the Pathos Acoustics Classic One, Maggie 1.6's and the Rega Planet 2000 MKII. That was a nice system, and a system that i could live with. The .5 before that was nice but below the minimum. and the enite THX HT system with the Onkyo 989 etc...falls below that. Nice for HT, but has no place in music. And now since i reached almost the end for me, i dream of nothing more but a large room. But i dont shed a tear over it, it will come. Now after reaching a realm of State of the Art speaker wise and very close equipment wise i can sit back and enjoy all MUSIC and run to Vinyl shops and buy a Kilo or two ;-)

kexodusc
02-17-2006, 04:30 AM
I need a clean FM signal and 1 am/fm radio speaker to enjoy music. There's just different degrees of satisfaction. But I've never considered not listening to music because it was on a system inferior to my stereo or HT rigs.
I have a set of old Wharfedale Emerald's out in my garage powered by a 23 year old NAD 3020 and NAD tuner..sometimes the nostalgic value of my first amp and speakers gives me more enjoyment than any other speaker ever could.

Florian
02-17-2006, 04:49 AM
Good start. Remember I am after the enjoyment of the recording not enjoyment of music.I take that for granted. Otherwise why do this at all.

BerndI thought that was obvious ?!? :p

Bernd
02-17-2006, 04:51 AM
Good start. Remember I am after the enjoyment of the recording not enjoyment of music.I take that for granted. Otherwise why do this at all.

Bernd

Bernd
02-17-2006, 05:00 AM
I thought that was obvious ?!? :p

Just wanting to make sure.To me there is a difference.

Bernd

Bernd
02-17-2006, 05:03 AM
I need a clean FM signal and 1 am/fm radio speaker to enjoy music. There's just different degrees of satisfaction. But I've never considered not listening to music because it was on a system inferior to my stereo or HT rigs.
I have a set of old Wharfedale Emerald's out in my garage powered by a 23 year old NAD 3020 and NAD tuner..sometimes the nostalgic value of my first amp and speakers gives me more enjoyment than any other speaker ever could.

I know exactley what you mean by an old system. I have recreated in my Living room the same set-up I had in the mid 80s. And listening to some 80s recordings through that can transport me right back 20 years.

Bernd