which to get- Denon 3805 or Yamaha rx v2500 for stated setup? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : which to get- Denon 3805 or Yamaha rx v2500 for stated setup?

viscera912
02-16-2006, 04:38 PM
This is my first post, I tried searching for a comparison between these two receivers, however I didn't find one. If there has been one done and I happened to miss it, could you possibly link it here for me, I would appreciate it....if there hasn't been one well then on to the comparison....

I am currently in the floor plan stage for building my new house. I would like to put a 5.1 in my family room which is 23 x 18 with ceramic tile flooring. I am considering these following speakers: Axiom M80, Axiom VP150, Axiom QS 8 and Axiom EP500. I am still trying to figure out if I want to use the VP150 or not,however, I'm pretty much sold on the M80 and QS 8. I also want to use either the Denon DVD 2910 or 2900 to play my music and dvd's; I can't wait to hear DVD-A or SACD in my house!! My problem with the whole setup is I'm trying to find a receiver to go with all this-from reading on this forum and other research I have narrowed the choice down to the Yamaha 2500 and Denon 3805.

I love music, I am a musician- top 3 listening genres are jazz, chill/lounge music, and choirs. My fiance and I are big movie fans as well so I would like to have that aspect built in as well so I guess the question is which receiver would be the best for this type of setup? I thank you all very much for your help with this question!!!

jason

kexodusc
02-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Both are pretty excellent receivers, you'll find each have their loyal fans...and that those who like one, tend to despise the other so take that with a grain of salt.
Time to get out there and listen to these for yourself, familiarize yourself with their features, and how they operate. Then make your own decision.

paul_pci
02-16-2006, 05:38 PM
If you are considering hanging onto this receiver for a while you may wish to consider the appropriate Denon and Yamaha models that offer hdmi switching for hi-def and multi-channel audio, of course, mated with the appropriate player(s).

EdwardGein
02-16-2006, 07:10 PM
If you have some credit on your credit cards, just buy them both and compare which one you like best & return the one you like, least. Or if you want to be sneaky, return both & order the one you like best, online at the cheapest price.

accastil
02-17-2006, 02:15 AM
both of these receivers are great for HT..for music listening of your type (jazz, chorals, etc)..i believe Denon would serve you better. but then again, its only me..what's more important is which one of these 2 sounds better to YOU. others are right, give em both a good listen and decide for yourself for whichever one you choose, you will never go wrong.

Eric Z
02-17-2006, 05:58 AM
Good points from everyone! I agree that you can't go wrong with either- check them both out very closely and see which one you like better regarding how user friendly it is. They'll both make the speakers sound terrific- one may sound a tad different than the other, but still will do a wonderful job.

On a side note, since you're a musician, you probably already know this- since your family room has a ceramic floor, the sound may be a little obscure. It can still sound fantastic with a hard surface floor, but you'll just need to have a nice big area rug and other items that can soak up the sound so everything isn't bouncing off of each other.

Enjoy and let us know what you decide!
Eric

GMichael
02-17-2006, 06:08 AM
Ditto, you really can't go wrong with either one. I picked the Yamaha but the choice was tough. Both sounded about the same to me.

viscera912
02-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Thank ya'll for the responses! I have a couple questions: first, since Axiom doesn't have any retail stores is there a way I could try out what ya'll have said and go listen to both receivers with these speakers? Also, with the Axiom 80 and QS 8, what center channel would be the best option...as per reviews I've read, the VP 150 may not perform as good as some other center's would?? And lastly, as much as I would love to buy both receivers and return one I don't think my fiance is going to let me...i'm sure ya'll know what i mean!!! thanks again in advance for your help!!!

paul_pci
02-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Thank ya'll for the responses! I have a couple questions: first, since Axiom doesn't have any retail stores is there a way I could try out what ya'll have said and go listen to both receivers with these speakers? Also, with the Axiom 80 and QS 8, what center channel would be the best option...as per reviews I've read, the VP 150 may not perform as good as some other center's would?? And lastly, as much as I would love to buy both receivers and return one I don't think my fiance is going to let me...i'm sure ya'll know what i mean!!! thanks again in advance for your help!!!

Unless you like returning speakers, I'd have some serious qualms about a "deaf" purchase of speakers, given that they will be the subjective heart of your listening experience.

Eric Z
02-17-2006, 01:30 PM
I 100% agree with Paul- be careful buying speakers without hearing them first. I feel you can't go wrong with a good speaker brand, but I'm always hesitant about going in somewhat blind to a purchase. I'm not sure the price range of the Axioms you're look at, but you might want to head to a speaker shop and take a look at speakers in the same price range- at least it will be easier to know how much you like them.