Parts Express [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Parts Express

Duds
02-16-2006, 11:27 AM
So after reading about interconnects and speaker cable, I became interested in getting some new stuff. After reading some recent posts on here, I thought about getting some Dayton stuff from Parts Express. I called them and asked the technician if I would hear any difference in my system if I replaced my generic cables with Dayton stuff. He flat out said "no."

Now I appluad this guy for not selling me somethign just to make a sale, and he's obviously on the side of the fence who think that cables and wire make no difference.

My question to you guys is, will I hear any difference in my system if I get some better interconnects and speaker wire? I'm currently just using generic speaker wire, and a cable that came with my denon universal player, with the exception of the component video cable which is Monster.

kexodusc
02-16-2006, 11:56 AM
You could very well start a flame war with your question, but I don't think that's your intent so I'm going to try to answer.

You might "hear" a difference, but I doubt it. If your current cables aren't carrying the signal, are introducing static, or have some funky inductance, capacitance or resistance properties that are distorting the signal then I suppose it's possible. Bad connector ends are usually the culprit when you have cable problems, but if you don't notice any, improvemetss aren't likely.

I'm actually surprised he gave you that answer, these guys have some amazing hi-end systems in store, and have sometimes used some pretty high-end cables at the displays/events I've seen. Maybe his experience with different cables led him to say no.

If your generic cables are the thin 22 gauge wire crap that comes with your a/v equipment, then I'm going out on a limb here and saying you might very well here a small improvement in your system. Those things are usually pretty crappy.

Even thicker speaker wire doesn't necessarily improve sound, though it might improve efficiency a tiny bit as length increases. Whether you could hear the difference, I don't know.

Is there a problem with your current cables that has caused you to seek replacing them? If not, there's probably better things to spend money on to improve sound quality.

E-Stat
02-16-2006, 12:12 PM
My question to you guys is, will I hear any difference in my system if I get some better interconnects and speaker wire?
If you're "too embarrassed" to list your components, that tells me you need to focus there first if you seek the biggest bang for your buck improvements.

rw

Duds
02-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Definitely wasn't trying to start a flame war.

I was just wondering if I could squeeze out a little more out of my system with some cable upgrades. I've recently upgraded my speakers and purchased a Denon universal player, so I thought maybe using some better interconnects and speaker wire would be a benefit.

I was shocked when the guy at Parts Express said it wouldn't matter. I was expecting to hear that I should spend $300 and have them shipped overnight so I could use them tomorrow...lol!!

Thanks for your response, it was very helpful.

You could very well start a flame war with your question, but I don't think that's your intent so I'm going to try to answer.

You might "hear" a difference, but I doubt it. If your current cables aren't carrying the signal, are introducing static, or have some funky inductance, capacitance or resistance properties that are distorting the signal then I suppose it's possible. Bad connector ends are usually the culprit when you have cable problems, but if you don't notice any, improvemetss aren't likely.

I'm actually surprised he gave you that answer, these guys have some amazing hi-end systems in store, and have sometimes used some pretty high-end cables at the displays/events I've seen. Maybe his experience with different cables led him to say no.

If your generic cables are the thin 22 gauge wire crap that comes with your a/v equipment, then I'm going out on a limb here and saying you might very well here a small improvement in your system. Those things are usually pretty crappy.

Even thicker speaker wire doesn't necessarily improve sound, though it might improve efficiency a tiny bit as length increases. Whether you could hear the difference, I don't know.

Is there a problem with your current cables that has caused you to seek replacing them? If not, there's probably better things to spend money on to improve sound quality.

Duds
02-16-2006, 12:33 PM
thanks for jumping to that conclusion, but thats not the case.

I'll be the first one to admit my system is nothing special, but for a site moderator to say something like I am "too embarrassed" to list my components is ridiculous.

Here ya go Pal, cant wait to hear your snobbish remarks about my system

Marantz SR-7000
Denon 2910
Von Schweikert VR-1's

If you're "too embarrassed" to list your components, that tells me you need to focus there first if you seek the biggest bang for your buck improvements.

rw

E-Stat
02-16-2006, 01:03 PM
thanks for jumping to that conclusion, but thats not the case.

I clicked your moniker and read the profile you provided. Perhaps you had forgotten how you filled it out.

Duds (http://forums.audioreview.com/member.php?u=245013)

Ultimately, I would recommend trying some different cables in your system so you can make your own judgement. Hopefully, you can find a local dealer who has a return policy.

rw

Duds
02-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Well don't I look like the schmuck now!! I apologize, I had no idea that was even there.

Sorry Stat, hope you can understand my mistake!!

I clicked your moniker and read the profile you provided. Perhaps you had forgotten how you filled it out.

Duds (http://forums.audioreview.com/member.php?u=245013)

Ultimately, I would recommend trying some different cables in your system so you can make your own judgement. Hopefully, you can find a local dealer who has a return policy.

rw

E-Stat
02-16-2006, 01:31 PM
I apologize, I had no idea that was even there.
The kinds of improvements I hear with better cables are indeed subtle. A quieter, "darker" background from which more musical detail can be heard. In some RF laded environments (like mine), well shielded cabling can reduce a kind of tizzy high frequency brightening effect that lesser cables exhibit. One of the issues is that CD/DVD players generate an RF cloud that can be picked up by downstream components and can affect the audible region even if the RF itself is much higher in frequency itself.

Happy hunting.

rw

Duds
02-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks Stat

So, how much do you think one has to spend to hear a subtle difference? Will buying a $15 Dayton cable for 2-channel sacd make a difference? or does it take a $100 cable?

QUOTE=E-Stat]The kinds of improvements I hear with better cables are indeed subtle. A quieter, "darker" background from which more musical detail can be heard. In some RF laded environments (like mine), well shielded cabling can reduce a kind of tizzy high frequency brightening effect that lesser cables exhibit. One of the issues is that CD/DVD players generate an RF cloud that can be picked up by downstream components and can affect the audible region even if the RF itself is much higher in frequency itself.

Happy hunting.

rw[/QUOTE]

paulo m
02-16-2006, 02:35 PM
So, how much do you think one has to spend to hear a subtle difference? Will buying a $15 Dayton cable for 2-channel sacd make a difference? or does it take a $100 cable?

It might be quite noticeable, and price does not necessarily mean better. A couple of weeks ago I was checking cables for my new system. I did a number of auditions with the standard, not very expensive, cables that were setup in the listening room (Audioquest Indigos for speaker cables, some Monster interconnect). It sounded great. Out of curiosity, I asked the salesman to switch cables to something in a price region commensurate with the level of components I was buying. He put in a pair of Synergistic Research Signature 10 for speaker cables ($800/pr) and the Resolution Reference (~$1000) from the same brand for interconnects. They sounded terrible. Some characteristically dense moments in the recordings I was using were reproduced without the clarity and resolution (ah the dreaded word) I heard with the cheaper cables. On the same day the salesman decided to take me to a room where they had a $150k system set up (pair of VTL Siegfrieds, Grande Utopia speakers, dCS Elgar/LaScala transport and DAC) with the top-of-the-line Synergistic cables. The dense moments had resolution and clarity once again, although a certain laidback-ness in the sound that I had noticed (and didn't like) with that brand of cables in the previous audition remained. As you can surmise, I didn't go for Synergistic and in fact went for Audioquests, similar to those in the initial audition.

You should try to find a dealer that has a money-back guarantee so that you can try out different cables, from different brands and at different price regions. At the end of the day, your ears will judge what sounds best.

The auditions I described above were all done with my own set of reference CDs, which I have been using for more than 10 years when trying out components, which means I know exactly how they sound and I can identify deviations from what I define as a good rendition. I have heard quite a variety of components with them and I know exactly what pleases me and how they perform on systems in all price ranges.

Hope this helps,
//p

E-Stat
02-16-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks Stat

Well, I unfortunately I haven't heard magic from a $15 cable yet. It will likely cost more to achieve what I'm referring to. My JPS Labs Ultraconductor+ are definitely more.

On the other hand, $15 will buy you an absolutely indispensible tool for any system - really good contact cleaner. All cables, even the gold plated high priced spread will oxidize over time leaving an audible grunge behind. I've cleaned a reviewer friend's Valhallas before and had a dirty cloth to prove the results. I use Caig Pro Gold.

rw

Duds
02-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Very interesting info from everyone, I certainly appreciate the comments!!

I'll have to visit some local shops this weekend to see if I can give some different cables a test run.

It might be quite noticeable, and price does not necessarily mean better. A couple of weeks ago I was checking cables for my new system. I did a number of auditions with the standard, not very expensive, cables that were setup in the listening room (Audioquest Indigos for speaker cables, some Monster interconnect). It sounded great. Out of curiosity, I asked the salesman to switch cables to something in a price region commensurate with the level of components I was buying. He put in a pair of Synergistic Research Signature 10 for speaker cables ($800/pr) and the Resolution Reference (~$1000) from the same brand for interconnects. They sounded terrible. Some characteristically dense moments in the recordings I was using were reproduced without the clarity and resolution (ah the dreaded word) I heard with the cheaper cables. On the same day the salesman decided to take me to a room where they had a $150k system set up (pair of VTL Siegfrieds, Grande Utopia speakers, dCS Elgar/LaScala transport and DAC) with the top-of-the-line Synergistic cables. The dense moments had resolution and clarity once again, although a certain laidback-ness in the sound that I had noticed (and didn't like) with that brand of cables in the previous audition remained. As you can surmise, I didn't go for Synergistic and in fact went for Audioquests, similar to those in the initial audition.

You should try to find a dealer that has a money-back guarantee so that you can try out different cables, from different brands and at different price regions. At the end of the day, your ears will judge what sounds best.

The auditions I described above were all done with my own set of reference CDs, which I have been using for more than 10 years when trying out components, which means I know exactly how they sound and I can identify deviations from what I define as a good rendition. I have heard quite a variety of components with them and I know exactly what pleases me and how they perform on systems in all price ranges.

Hope this helps,
//p

ruadmaa
02-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Well, I unfortunately I haven't heard magic from a $15 cable yet. It will likely cost more to achieve what I'm referring to. My JPS Labs Ultraconductor+ are definitely more.

On the other hand, $15 will buy you an absolutely indispensible tool for any system - really good contact cleaner. All cables, even the gold plated high priced spread will oxidize over time leaving an audible grunge behind. I've cleaned a reviewer friend's Valhallas before and had a dirty cloth to prove the results. I use Caig Pro Gold.

rw

This is news to me. I have never heard of gold oxidizing.

E-Stat
02-17-2006, 11:22 AM
This is news to me. I have never heard of gold oxidizing.
Perhaps I should have qualified my statement. My experience with "gold plated" contacts found on audio plugs (know of anything other than bullion that is 24k?) connected to various other metals will accumulate a layer of greenish, black grunge that can be audible.

Do you clean your various contacts?

rw

ruadmaa
02-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Perhaps I should have qualified my statement. My experience with "gold plated" contacts found on audio plugs (know of anything other than bullion that is 24k?) connected to various other metals will accumulate a layer of greenish, black grunge that can be audible.

Do you clean your various contacts?

rw

Contacts will never require cleaning if you put a "lite" coating of vaseline on them. You can test this by simply putting a lite coating of vaseline on the battery terminals of your car the next time you install a battery. The terminals will not accumulate corrosion and will stay as clean as the day you installed the battery.

Incidentally, gold plated contacts will not accumulate this green grunge that you speak of. If they do, the contacts are not gold plated.

E-Stat
02-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Contacts will never require cleaning if you put a "lite" coating of vaseline on them.
Good tip. There are specialized electronic products available as well.

Incidentally, gold plated contacts will not accumulate this green grunge that you speak of. If they do, the contacts are not gold plated.
By "connected to various other metals" I was referring to the jacks into which plugs are inserted. Gold plating must be on both sides to be totally effective.

rw

daviethek
02-17-2006, 07:26 PM
So after reading about interconnects and speaker cable, I became interested in getting some new stuff. After reading some recent posts on here, I thought about getting some Dayton stuff from Parts Express. I called them and asked the technician if I would hear any difference in my system if I replaced my generic cables with Dayton stuff. He flat out said "no."

Now I appluad this guy for not selling me somethign just to make a sale, and he's obviously on the side of the fence who think that cables and wire make no difference.

My question to you guys is, will I hear any difference in my system if I get some better interconnects and speaker wire? I'm currently just using generic speaker wire, and a cable that came with my denon universal player, with the exception of the component video cable which is Monster.

I don't know about the speaker wire, however, If you are using factory supplied audio interconnects you might be able to do a bit better rather cheaply. I recently bought a pair of audio interconnects from Knukonceptz internet. It is the Krystal interconnect. triple shielded twisted design with good connectors and a good soldering job inside. It costs around 11.00 for a 1 meter pair. thats right, just over a sawbuck. You might hear an improvement.
Its a lot cheaper than charging full steam into the cable maze. enjoy yourself.

emorphien
02-26-2006, 03:01 PM
I don't think you need to spend a fortune, I've heard some very nice systems with modest cabling. The issue isn't the cost of the cable, but is it above xx level of build quality with enough shielding to keep the signal safe. That doesn't require thousands if you ask me, but $15 won't usually accomplish it either.

I like Parts Express for the quality they offer at a reasonable price. You can decide if it's worth it to you to spend a bit more. I would like to have slightly better build quality but they aren't flimsy based on the ones I've used.