A+b????? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A+b?????

speakeroligist_38
02-16-2006, 06:11 AM
Hello people I have a q: If I run my front speakers (A) and another set (B) at the same time (A+B) while in home theater mode will it damage my receiver???? I will be using the Athena S.5's MKII set with the fronts on A and I also have B connected to a set of Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's which I mainly use for 2 channel music listening. Hence, if I were to use my 20's along with my Athenas will it be too much for my receiver to handle? I have a Yamaha RX-V757. Keep in mind I will be also using the Athena center and (2) surrounds as well. The LFE will be handled by (2) 8" Acoustic Research powered subs. I dont listen to movies at very high volumes due to my neighbors. Anyways, please help if you can. Feel free to offer some suggestions.

agtpunx40
02-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Check your reciever's manual. It should specifically mention such a situation. What exactly are you hoping to gain by running the two sets of mains while watching a movie? I suspect that you will find that running the two sets of mains in addition to the other HT speakers will make the overall sound worse.

Smokey
02-16-2006, 02:18 PM
I suspect that you will find that running the two sets of mains in addition to the other HT speakers will make the overall sound worse.

Agree with your statement. It will be too much power drain on the amp thus lowering its dynamic headroom capability, and increasing distortion (THD).

speakeroligist_38
02-16-2006, 02:23 PM
smokey and agt sounds like I better just use my Athenas when watching dvd's and my Studio 20's when listening to 2-channel music. Just dont care for the multi-channel music listening. Thanks guys for your thoughts. Guess there would be very little to gain by using (2) sets of front speakers and torturing my Yammie.

accastil
02-16-2006, 03:49 PM
exactly!

PAT.P
02-16-2006, 08:55 PM
smokey and agt sounds like I better just use my Athenas when watching dvd's and my Studio 20's when listening to 2-channel music. Just dont care for the multi-channel music listening. Thanks guys for your thoughts. Guess there would be very little to gain by using (2) sets of front speakers and torturing my Yammie.I have the Yammy Htr-5760 and have A/B on at the 4ohm setting and 2 sub ,large centre channel,presence speakers and surround speakers on and never had a problem with it .

paul_pci
02-16-2006, 09:10 PM
I have the Yammy Htr-5760 and have A/B on at the 4ohm setting and 2 sub ,large centre channel,presence speakers and surround speakers on and never had a problem with it .

But you have a fire extinguisher nearby, right?

speakeroligist_38
02-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Hmmmm sounds like I got a good receiver then. Thanks for the info.

PAT.P
02-16-2006, 09:24 PM
But you have a fire extinguisher nearby, right?Never need it ,I have 3 receiver in basement 30+ years and A/B on at all time and never fried one.I also never blew a speaker. :D