The Americans Have Stolen My True Love...Eliza Carthy [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Americans Have Stolen My True Love...Eliza Carthy

Davey.
01-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Any other Eliza Carthy fans around? I know Mike is since he's the one who gave me this wonderful compilation of her Rice and Red albums a couple years ago. Mostly traditional English folk music on the first "Rice" half with a couple originals, moving into more contemporary and electrified territory in the second "Red" half. I enjoy the more traditional folk half the best but the whole collection is very solid, even if the "modern" half doesn't distinguish her in my mind as well as the folk half does. Some amazing fiddle playing, especially in that second half. Kinda Steeleye Span sounding. Very cool.

I do have a question about the chosen sequence of this comp, Mike. The songs all seem to follow the same order as on the original albums, except for the first two songs. Was this by choice or just an accident? And were these taken from the orginal 2-disc set Red Rice or from the later separate releases? Or were they always released separately in the UK?

Anyway, I don't think I ever said much about this comp at the time, but I do really appreciate it and just wanted to mention that there is some awfully good music on here. Really opened my eyes to her talent. Thanks, and as usual, a quality comp from the packaging through to the music :)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/eliza.jpg

chrisnz
01-21-2004, 03:04 PM
That would be me then! I've definitely got Red somewhere around here and I might even have Rice... what I'm lacking is a filing system ;-)

She's coming to town in March for the local Art's Festival. I'll be trying to get there. Lyle Lovett was coming too but bailed over security fears... in NZ? Lyle your a pillock!

Happy New Year, Chris.

Jim Clark
01-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Lyle your a pillock!

Happy New Year, Chris.

Just wondering out loud. What exactly is a pillock? I have no doubt that Lyle is most assuredly at least a pillock, but I want to make sure that it goes far enough to cover it all.

jc

chrisnz
01-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Just wondering out loud. What exactly is a pillock? I have no doubt that Lyle is most assuredly at least a pillock, but I want to make sure that it goes far enough to cover it all.

jc

Hi JC, always happy to help with translations for those with English as a second language ;-) Mind you I look back on my last couple of posts and wonder whatever happened to my spelling ability but then I suppose it's going the same way as the rest of my abilities.

Anyway... back to the question. I suppose a pillock is a bit like a plonker and yes Lyle is most definitely an example of both. I trust this clears things up?

Regards, Chris.

tentoze
01-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Anyway... back to the question. I suppose a pillock is a bit like a plonker and yes Lyle is most definitely an example of both. I trust this clears things up?

Regards, Chris.
Certainly cleared things right up for me............

:eek:

Mike
01-22-2004, 02:25 AM
Wow forgot about that one Dave...In the UK they were released as two solo albums and as far as I remember they are pretty short albums so it was a straight copy track for track. If I altered the first two tracks it wasn't intentional.

Her latest album Anglicana is pretty good it's been getting rave reviews, I've not bought it yet but heard snatches, she's returned to her roots again so it's very similar to Rice/Red.
If you like her Dave you might like Kate Rusby, I can't remember if I ever sent anything by her to you, thinking about it I think there's a track on one of my very first comps 'Rave Recordings' which I'm sure you have a copy of. Hourglass is a good one and her latest is supposed to be pretty good too. Between them they've been responsible for reviving the English folk scene

As for pillock it tends to get used in an affectionate way eg 'you daft pillock' poor old Lyle was married to Julia Roberts so maybe he wasn't one, but then he did let her go so undoubtedly yes he is a right pillock.

Cheers
Mike

Davey.
01-22-2004, 09:27 AM
.....Dave you might like Kate Rusby, I can't remember if I ever sent anything by her to you, thinking about it I think there's a track on one of my very first comps 'Rave Recordings' which I'm sure you have a copy of. Hourglass is a good one and her latest is supposed to be pretty good too. Between them they've been responsible for reviving the English folk scene

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/orton-rusby.jpg

:)