Rush Dvd [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rush Dvd

MasterCylinder
02-16-2006, 04:30 AM
A few recent posts here at this board have discussed "wheelchair rock", i.e., Pink Floyd is over -- and -- the Stones at the Super Bowl, etc.

While I can agree that, with some bands and the aging members therein, there comes a time when stretching the life of the band is actually detrimental to their popularity and CD sales.......the opposite of what might be intended........that is NOT the case with RUSH.

I just saw r30 last night and WOW (my apologies to all of you that might have previously discussed this DVD and I missed out)....just WOW.

Alex has put on some tonnage -- other than that, these guys are still getting it done -- and in a big way. Great audio sonics (I love DVDs that offer the PCM stereo mix in addition to the 5.1 Dolby) and video scenes...........many, many songs.......great band that is still sounding good and playing very well.....most people would not realize the torture that Peart has been through by watching this footage.

I thouroughly enjoyed the first screening of this DVD -- highly recommended.

kexodusc
02-16-2006, 04:48 AM
Yes, it is a great DVD...Saw these guys play a few times in the last few years...they've definitely still got it, or at least enough of "it" left to make a go of it...I never saw them back in their prime so I can't compare.
Wonder if they'll go back to the studio? Last I heard they were going to re-master "Vapor Trails". I hope so, some of the tunes are great, but the recording was painfully mediocre.

ForeverAutumn
02-16-2006, 05:55 AM
Yes, it is a great DVD...Saw these guys play a few times in the last few years...they've definitely still got it, or at least enough of "it" left to make a go of it...I never saw them back in their prime so I can't compare.
Wonder if they'll go back to the studio? Last I heard they were going to re-master "Vapor Trails". I hope so, some of the tunes are great, but the recording was painfully mediocre.

Although we have this DVD I haven't had time to watch it yet. I can say, however, that having seen Rush perform live about 7or 8 times spread over 25 years, there hasn't been much change to the energy of their show. Unlike many of the other "vintage rockers" MC refers to, Rush's shows were always about the music and not so much about running around the stage strutting your stuff. The visuals came from lighting and slide shows (now replaced by short, mostly animated, films), not from the band itself...not to the level that we would expect from many other bands, anyway. Rush shows still remain about the music. As long as that passion is still there, they will always put on great performances IMO.

MasterCylinder
02-16-2006, 06:20 AM
While I agree with what Autumn has to offer above (that all RUSH DVDs reflect quality concerts), this DVD reflects a quality concert in a quality package of sight and sound.

I have not seen every RUSH DVD that is available (including Rio) but, from what I have been told, and from what I have thus far witnessed, r30 is the bomb.

BinFrog
02-16-2006, 07:00 AM
R30 is indeed a vast sonic and visual improvement over RIR.

Kexo: Word has it they are going to try and have a new album out by year's end, followed by a tour. And I 100% agree about Vapor Trails. It's a phenomenal album, but the final mix-down engineer tried to go for the "louder is better" approach and thus there are severe clipping issues. So much so that I hardly ever listen to it. I would love a re-mastered version.

I've been seeing Rush in concert since around 1991 when I was 15. I would say if anythying they have gotten stronger since then. The last couple of tours have been piledrivers.

Now if only they would break out "The Camera Eye" I could die happy.

Dave_G
02-16-2006, 07:11 AM
R30 is indeed very good and could be a benchmark for music video.

Supposedly the old school VHS videos will make it to DVD at some point.

To me, Rush live is still one of the best outfits, HOWEVER:

The last 3 or so studio releases annoy the hell out of me.

Why?

The vocal method. The way they have dubbed and over dubbed and phase shifted etc. Geddys voice just irritates me to no end.

The "sound" is like alien compared to the classic old recordings.

And Vapor Trails. They otta give free replacements, what a piece of crap that is in terms of sonics. (Live, the songs rule).

There are a lot of good drummers out there, but Neil Peart is just really in another league.

Dave

GMichael
02-16-2006, 07:11 AM
I don't have R30 yet, but it's on my short wish list. I saw my first Rush show in 1776 and have seen them countless times sinse. They have always been a great show and, as others have pointed out, all about the music.
Thanks for reminding me to run out and get this one.

Duds
02-16-2006, 07:37 AM
There are a lot of good drummers out there, but Neil Peart is just really in another league.

Dave[/QUOTE]

I'd put Danny Carey of Tool in that league too. Just my opinion though!!

Mr MidFi
02-16-2006, 07:56 AM
See, this is what sucks. I want to get R30, but I already bought RIR. And I'm not a big enough fan to justify the expense of buying both.

This is the downside of being a cheapskate.

GMichael
02-16-2006, 08:12 AM
See, this is what sucks. I want to get R30, but I already bought RIR. And I'm not a big enough fan to justify the expense of buying both.

This is the downside of being a cheapskate.

HAHAHAHAHA I can sooooooo relate to this. If I wasn't such a big fan I wouldn't even think of buying it.

jamison
02-16-2006, 08:46 AM
I bought R30... its a ok performance compared to live in rio but im sorry Geddy Lees voice is painful to listen to anymore. It sounds like he is struggling to sing sometimes and it puts me off. Rush is a great band one of my favorites especially live, I have seen them 3 times and they were phenonemal. Exit Stage Left was and is my favorite live performance of the band but the sound quality is horrbily muddy.

Troy
02-16-2006, 09:36 AM
R30 has a long wait at netflix, but I am looking forward to watching it someday, especially the old stuff on disc 2.

Rush is 15 years younger than the Stones or Pink Floyd. They are not too old . . . yet.

BTW, Cat Vomit is hilarious. Watch your e-mail.

3-LockBox
02-16-2006, 10:19 AM
The last 3 or so studio releases annoy the hell out of me.Why?

The vocal method. The way they have dubbed and over dubbed and phase shifted etc. Geddys voice just irritates me to no end.

The "sound" is like alien compared to the classic old recordings.

And Vapor Trails. They otta give free replacements, what a piece of crap that is in terms of sonics. (Live, the songs rule).

I've noticed that vocal processing, too. Geddy's voice was already an aquired taste, now this.

And yes, they should give free replacements of Vapor Trails, because even if it is there best in a long time, its unlistenable. At the very least they should sell a remastered copy at a drastically reduced price.

ForeverAutumn
02-16-2006, 12:45 PM
I saw my first Rush show in 1776 and have seen them countless times sinse.

Holy crap! They've been touring for 230 years?! They really do look good for their age. :eek:

Rush is 15 years younger than the Stones or Pink Floyd. They are not too old . . . yet.

I don't know about that. 230 years is pretty freakin' old!

Hey, aren't you the guy who said that the last thing that you needed was another Rush DVD? You're not allowed to watch this one. NO RUSH FOR YOU! :mad:

Troy
02-16-2006, 01:02 PM
I don't know about that. 230 years is pretty freakin' old!

Hey, aren't you the guy who said that the last thing that you needed was another Rush DVD? You're not allowed to watch this one. NO RUSH FOR YOU! :mad:

Wow, that IS old.

Hey, I'm not BUYING it, I'm only RENTING it!

GMichael
02-16-2006, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=ForeverAutumn]Holy crap! They've been touring for 230 years?! They really do look good for their age. :eek:

QUOTE]

Oops...

BinFrog
02-17-2006, 04:52 AM
Holy crap! They've been touring for 230 years?! They really do look good for their age. :eek:

Did you catch the bicentennial tour?

GMichael
02-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Did you catch the bicentennial tour?

Yes, but they didn't sound the same as the old days. Geddy's voice was shot and Neil couldn't hold onto hit drum sticks. The light show was great though. Fireworks everywhere!

These guys are old as dust!

Finch Platte
02-17-2006, 07:53 PM
They look awfully bored to me. :confused:

Sound quality's not bad- seems like Alex is up a little more than he should be- or maybe it's just that his guitar is run through so many effects that it's just blasting over everything. And what's with his background vocals? On the cover stuff (Who, Cream) you can hear him plain as day, but on the originals, you can barely hear him.

I sure love seeing the old stuff on disc 2. Man, some of the stuff they wore. :eek: I loved the below-the-snare-cam on Neil's face. Too bad they didn't do that on the new stuff.

I dunno- I used to be a bigger fan, so it's kind of blase for me. But oh, the Dream Theatre Live At Budokan DVD!! *swoon*

fp

3-LockBox
02-18-2006, 11:51 AM
I think I'll just stick to the three live CDs I already have of them. Maybe if they release some older concerts on DVD...

MasterCylinder
02-21-2006, 05:46 AM
I love the covers they play on this DVD.........all from the FEEDBACK release.

They do a very good job on the Who's THE SEEKER; Yardbird's HEART FULL OF SOUL; Robert Johnson's Cream version of CROSSROADS; and a killer Blue Cheer version of Eddie Cochran's SUMMERTIME BLUES.......excellent.

I haven't heard that old Blue Cheer styled tune in forever........a real treat.