What's the Deal With Pioneer? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's the Deal With Pioneer?

EdwardGein
02-15-2006, 06:02 PM
I don't mean to infer anything negative by the title but I'm curious about products from Pioneer such as Receivers, as the Pioneer Surround Sound Wireless Headphones (SE-DIR 800C, $399 Listed Retail price) are the most amazing home theater product I've ever experienced- as far as I know, no headphone, cord or cordless, is in the same league with them) & I'm wondering if this extends to their other products as well. I know Orb Audio who's speakers & sub are part of my system, now makes available at the buyers option 2 Pioneer Receivers (the 840 watt Pioneer VSX-1015TX & the 700 watt Pioneer VSX-815-K) & the Pioneer DV-588AS Universal Player. I'm wondering how these compare with say my Denon 3801 Receiver & Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player, in terms of sound quality.

paul_pci
02-15-2006, 06:03 PM
I'd be careful how far you wish to extrapolate success in one component (headphones) to other components. In your case, I certainly wouldn't scratch my head thinking about replacing your Denon with a Pioneer, unless is was their Elite line. There are plenty examples out there: Sony makes crappy tvs and discman players, but do other products well. I love my Yamaha receiver, but I'd never buy yamaha speakers or subs, etc. etc.

kexodusc
02-15-2006, 06:04 PM
The 1015 is a very nice unit, I wrote a bit on it in a thread in the HT forum recently...it shares a lot in common with the basic Pioneer Elite receiver. I'd take it over the 3801 because of the latest features, but it's at least that level of performance. Haven't heard any negative feedback on Pioneer receivers for quite some time.
Other products have been hit and miss with them in recent years....

EdwardGein
02-15-2006, 06:38 PM
You guys have a better feel for this then I do & I appreciate your comments. I always make an assumption that if something is in a league of its own, everything they put out will be in a league of its own, which is obviously untrue from what you're saying. I'm more a "meat & potatoes" man then a features person & the only thing that motivates me is audio and/or video quality as well as cosmetic appearence. In the past I've read some very good reviews on Pioneer products & some not that great reviews, and thought maybe because of these headphones, I was missing out. I'm still puzzeled as to how Pioneer is putting out an actual high quality surround sound product that no one else seems to be doing.

anamorphic96
02-15-2006, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=I'm still puzzeled as to how Pioneer is putting out an actual high quality surround sound product that no one else seems to be doing.[/QUOTE]

Huh !!!

Pioneer
Denon
Yamaha
NAD
Rotel
Sony ES
Outlaw
Marantz

and more companies are putting out receivers that are equal if not better. Where did you come up with this thought. Have you researched any of these other brands and the receivers they are putting out ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

EdwardGein
02-15-2006, 09:27 PM
I was referring to their (wireless) surround sound headphones (SE-DIR800C) not anything else

anamorphic96
02-15-2006, 09:40 PM
That makes sense. The post was a touch on the vague side. You had mentioned Pioneer receivers earlier which made me think this.

Since you get complaints about your sub you might want to check into some bass shakers to put in your couch to maybe enhance the surround effect of your headphones. If possible it might add some visceral impact to the headphone experience and not annoy you neigbors.

Not sure of an exact site but Googling bass shakers should find you some more info.

69 camaro SS
02-16-2006, 05:17 AM
I just recieved my pioneer vsx-815 wednesday in the mail. I know I dont know as much as most of you guys , But this thing sounds so much better than the yamaha RX-V1050. It is an old reciever, It was awsome when I first got it (used). My new pioneer is going to be a nice addition to my set up. Of coarse it is lower end, But I do have a wife and 3 kids . Not real important to any of them

evil__betty
02-21-2006, 08:28 AM
Sony makes crappy tvs and discman players, but do other products well.
WHAT?!? I would say that TV's are the only thing that Sony makes well! Their audio is garbage, and so are all of the other do-dads that they make. Granted, you will pay a bit more for a "Sony" but it is a great picture. The only thing that Sony does better than TVs is marketing. There are people out there that if you were to pry all the badging off of a KIA car and replace it with "sony" emblems, and charge $20,000 more for it - they would buy it simply because it says "Sony". Because, "It's Sony, so it must be the best, right?"

paul_pci
02-21-2006, 09:44 AM
WHAT?!? I would say that TV's are the only thing that Sony makes well! Their audio is garbage, and so are all of the other do-dads that they make. Granted, you will pay a bit more for a "Sony" but it is a great picture. The only thing that Sony does better than TVs is marketing. There are people out there that if you were to pry all the badging off of a KIA car and replace it with "sony" emblems, and charge $20,000 more for it - they would buy it simply because it says "Sony". Because, "It's Sony, so it must be the best, right?"

Go to audioholics.com and read the article where a software problem caused some 400,000 (an estimated 10%) sets to fail and perhaps you could reasses your estimation of their capabilities. I, for one, have two Sony products that I have no complaints about: my PS2 and my $99 car stereo that I can plug my iPod into as is, that is with no extra garbage to buy as with other units that are so-called "iPod ready."

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/SonydefectiveLCDTVs.php

edtyct
02-21-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm with evil betty. Sony's signature TVs are among the best in the business, and I don't believe that their quality control is significantly worse than others'. I hardly think that a software glitch, as regrettable as it might be, warrants so broad a condemnation of Sony TVs, especially one that affects only the on/off function and has a relatively simple remedy. I'm not trying to whitewash any issues that Sony may have with quality control; I've run into one or two myself. But Sony is certainly not alone in that dept., whether the particular complaints hold water or not.

Ed