Cigars & Music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cigars & Music

audiobill
02-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Okay... it's really just about cigars.

I know there are some RRers who enjoy a fine cigar once in a while.
I couldn't help but notice that the magazine Cigar Aficionado has their yearly "Top 25" issue out on the stands. There were several old familiars, such as Partagas, Motercristo, Fuente Fuente, and Cohibas; but there were also several "bargain" cigars.

I've tried to track these down, here, in tax-happy Toronto tobaccanist shops, but cannot.

Anyone know of these and, if so, where I could order some?

Gispert Maduro Robusto..........Honduran...........3 bucks

Cuba Aliados Corojo Madureo Robusto De Luxe..........Honduran..........4 bucks

Flor de Oliva 10the Anniversary Torpedo..........Nicaraguan................almost 3 bucks.

N.S., (now smoking) Romeo y Julieta numero 2 gold band.......Cuba
N.P., Cartwheels by the Reindeer Section

Finch Platte
02-15-2006, 06:43 PM

I couldn't help but notice that the magazine Cigar Aficionado has their yearly "Top 25" issue out on the stands. There were several old familiars, such as Partagas, Motercristo, Fuente Fuente, and Cohibas; but there were also several "bargain" cigars.

I've tried to track these down, here, in tax-happy Toronto tobaccanist shops, but cannot.

Anyone know of these and, if so, where I could order some?

Gispert Maduro Robusto..........Honduran...........3 bucks

Cuba Aliados Corojo Madureo Robusto De Luxe..........Honduran..........4 bucks

Flor de Oliva 10the Anniversary Torpedo..........Nicaraguan................almost 3 bucks.

N.S., (now smoking) Romeo y Julieta numero 2 gold band.......Cuba

Can't help ya, sorry. I only smoke Robusto Rejects ($1.70) and them what my bro-in-law gives me.

I refuse to pay more than $2 for a cigar. The RR's (hey!) are plenty good enough for me.

fp

Mike Anderson
02-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Here's an awesome cigar for the money:

Pardon 1964 Anniversary Exclusivo in maduro. Probably the best non-Cuban cigar I ever had, and if you look around, you can get them for $10-11 a stick.

Troy
02-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Cigar smokers know a vast segment of society thinks they smell like an underground fire at a toxic waste landfill, yet they continue to smoke them in outdoor restaurants and public places. Why is that?

Smoking cigars in public is more offensive than intentionally farting in an elevator.

Duds
02-16-2006, 10:20 AM
I'd much rather smell a cigar than a cigarette.

Cigar smokers know a vast segment of society thinks they smell like an underground fire at a toxic waste landfill, yet they continue to smoke them in outdoor restaurants and public places. Why is that?

Smoking cigars in public is more offensive than intentionally farting in an elevator.

Troy
02-16-2006, 10:27 AM
I'd much rather smell a cigar than a cigarette.

Can I please smell neither?

Cigars are so much stronger and pungent. You can smell one from 50 feet away.

Duds
02-16-2006, 10:32 AM
well, move to New York and you wont have to worry about smelling either in restaurants or other public places.

Can I please smell neither?

Cigars are so much stronger and pungent. You can smell one from 50 feet away.

Dave_G
02-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Cigar smoke had 3-oxycyclonic tetrahydrochloride in it and it causes FET's and bipolar transistors to avalance and introduce 2% THD, so you better be careful.

Dave

Duds
02-16-2006, 11:13 AM
so what do you tell people who smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day?!

Cigar smoke had 3-oxycyclonic tetrahydrochloride in it and it causes FET's and bipolar transistors to avalance and introduce 2% THD, so you better be careful.

Dave

Troy
02-16-2006, 01:03 PM
so what do you tell people who smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day?!

You say "You're going to die young."

Dave_G
02-16-2006, 01:15 PM
I tell them that cigarette smoke has 321-diethyl monoflouride sulfate and that it will change the bias resistor value in your power amp and cause a fluctuation of frequency response of up to 10%.

Dave

Duds
02-16-2006, 01:18 PM
well, thank God I don't smoke!!

I tell them that cigarette smoke has 321-diethyl monoflouride sulfate and that it will change the bias resistor value in your power amp and cause a fluctuation of frequency response of up to 10%.

Dave

GMichael
02-16-2006, 01:25 PM

Dave

I smoked from 1976 to 1992 and was up to 2 packs a day when I quit. I bought the receiver & speakers I have now in 2005. Will I still suffer this 10% loss?

Dave_G
02-16-2006, 01:41 PM
No, you will likely only see a 4.78% change in the treble bandwidth of your left speaker.

Oh yes, pipe smoke has a huge concentration of Flexorabitanoids and will cause the copper in your speaker cables to have 0.08% increased resistance.

Dave

GMichael
02-16-2006, 01:59 PM
No, you will likely only see a 4.78% change in the treble bandwidth of your left speaker.

Oh yes, pipe smoke has a huge concentration of Flexorabitanoids and will cause the copper in your speaker cables to have 0.08% increased resistance.

Dave

Pipe? Uht oh..... I'm going to quit while I can. Anybody got any cookies?

audiobill
02-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Here's an awesome cigar for the money:

Pardon 1964 Anniversary Exclusivo in maduro. Probably the best non-Cuban cigar I ever had, and if you look around, you can get them for $10-11 a stick.

Thanks-a-ton, there Mike A & Finchy.
Nothing wrong at all with Robusto Rejects for a buck seventy. A while back, I managed to get some Davidoff rejects for about the same price & they were quite enjoyable.

I'll have to definitely order some Padron 1964's. I've tried the Padron 2000 & it is very aromatic and complex.
Similarly, the price sounds very tempting; what, with Cuban cigars fetching $25-$80 a stick $10-11 is a downright bargain.

Nothing beats a cognac/ or single malt with a good cigar and some fine music playing.

Cheers,

Bill

"Can't help ya, sorry. I only smoke Robusto Rejects ($1.70) and them what my bro-in-law gives me.
I refuse to pay more than $2 for a cigar. The RR's (hey!) are plenty good enough for me.

fp"

Troy
02-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Nothing beats a cognac/ or single malt with a good cigar and some fine music playing.

I'd rather get laid.

BradH
02-16-2006, 05:13 PM
I'd rather get laid.

Getting laid can cause up to a 12% increase in the stiffness of the outer Litz layer of your interconnect cable, epecially at higher frequencies.

Troy
02-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Getting laid can cause up to a 12% increase in the stiffness of the outer Litz layer of your interconnect cable, epecially at higher frequencies.

Great! I'm always looking for a way to increase my stiffness, being 45 and all.

BradH
02-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Great! I'm always looking for a way to increase my stiffness, being 45 and all.

Well, if that's the problem then maybe your system needs a wooden volume knob. It's only $485.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C

Troy
02-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Well, if that's the problem then maybe your system needs a wooden volume knob. It's only $485.

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NOB_C37_C

LOL Anyone that pays $485 for that item gets everything they deserve.

Finch Platte
02-17-2006, 07:56 AM

"The beech wood is coated several times with C37 lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved."

Riiiiiiight.

fp

Mike
02-17-2006, 08:41 AM

LOL I didn't think there were people out there who still subscribe to this nonsense, I wonder if they need 'running in' first

Cheers
Mike

BradH
02-17-2006, 09:48 AM
LOL I didn't think there were people out there who still subscribe to this nonsense, I wonder if they need 'running in' first

Cheers
Mike

Once you get your knob on you may need to get your chips rubbed...

http://www.altmann.haan.de/tubeolator/default.htm

Dusty Chalk
02-17-2006, 10:07 AM
...transforms transistor sound into tube sound...Important: Always coat the complete top surface of a device. Do not partially coat a surface, else you may end up in a mess of non-correlated overtones, and the result will not sound as intended.

http://www.altmann.haan.de/tubeolator/tube_gifs/coating.gifUnholy carp, whut a load of malarkey!

Swish
02-18-2006, 09:44 AM

The company is actually Indian Tabac, and you can find the Sun Baked and 1990 and 1992 Vintage anywhere. I prefer what he calls "The Edge", an unlabeled and reasonably priced Maduro that's one fine smoke. A box is 120 cigars I believe, way too many for me at once time, but my shop breaks them down to whatever you want and charges less than $5 per. I've also had some El Credito's, a fairly mild cigar, but a nice smoke at only $2 per when you buy a box, which is always the way to go if you have the humidor space.

Hey, I'll sent you an e-mail to let you know about my new car. It's freakin' awesome.

Swish

NP: Joseph Arthur - Our Shadows Will Remain

Swish
02-18-2006, 10:44 AM
well, move to New York and you wont have to worry about smelling either in restaurants or other public places.

They got the ball rolling while New York is basically a "Johnny come lately" to the party. I think there are now 8 or 10 states with a ban (CA, NY, DE, FL, MA, CT, RI, ME, VT all come to mind, and NJ starts on April 15th), so it's spreading across the country. The city of Columbus, OH also has a ban in place, and Philadelphia considered one but it was shot down by the city council. While I enjoy cigars, I certainly don't smoke them in my house, and almost always smoke them outdoors. Very few bars in our area allow them, although they allow cigarettes. How stoopid is that? So cigars may bother people while the cigarettes don't? There's nothing worse than coming home after a night out and having your hair and clothing smell like cigarettes. They smell like crap! I hope PA is next in line to ban smoking in public places. I certainly won't miss it. My cigars are usually reserved for my back patio or the golf course when the weather is nice. If it's not nice outdoors, I just do without, and I don't smoke them all that often.

Swish

audiobill
02-19-2006, 07:02 AM
The company is actually Indian Tabac, and you can find the Sun Baked and 1990 and 1992 Vintage anywhere. I prefer what he calls "The Edge", an unlabeled and reasonably priced Maduro that's one fine smoke. A box is 120 cigars I believe, way too many for me at once time, but my shop breaks them down to whatever you want and charges less than $5 per. I've also had some El Credito's, a fairly mild cigar, but a nice smoke at only $2 per when you buy a box, which is always the way to go if you have the humidor space.

Hey, I'll sent you an e-mail to let you know about my new car. It's freakin' awesome.

Swish

NP: Joseph Arthur - Our Shadows Will Remain

Hey, Swish.

I haven't had any Rocky Patels, yet. "The Edge" sounds very intriguing, as do the others you mention. I've had the El Credito, in the past and found it to be alright as a mild cigar.

BTW., a friend of mine will be going to the States next month & he's managed to put in an order for me, at a cigar shop he knows, for a box of Gispert Maduro Robustos.... at $56 a box. Can't wait. I'll definitely let you know if they live up to their 90 rating.

Bill

NP: Bob Dylan "Tombstone Blues"

www.records
02-19-2006, 08:41 AM
I enjoy a good stick about once a week or so. Usually on Saturday nights. Last night I had a MonteCristo #2 with the brown band. Those are my favorites of the gars that I have tried. I have never smoked a cuban, but hope to before all of this stuff that is bad for me kills me.

Swish
02-19-2006, 08:43 AM
I enjoy a good stick about once a week or so. Usually on Saturday nights. Last night I had a MonteCristo #2 with the brown band. Those are my favorites of the gars that I have tried. I have never smoked a cuban, but hope to before all of this stuff that is bad for me kills me.

His neighbor is a Cuban national and can legally bring about 5 boxes each time he re-enters the US, which is often. The neighbor got a bit perturbed because my source was getting them for so many others. The # 2 has a Cigar Insider rating of 99 back in 1980, and I don't think any cigar has ever gotten a 100, so we can pretty much say it was, at one time, among the best cigars in the world.

The ones we were getting for $10 each, were excellent cigars, but I've had many Dominican's that taste pretty fine too. Like you, I smoke infrequently, especially in the winter months since I would never smoke in my house and there aren't many places indoors where you can light up. I indulge in several a week in the summertime, sitting on my patio with a nice cold brew and a tasty cigar is a great way to end the day.

Swish

www.records
02-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Swish, a Cuban Monte #2 is the cigar I would like to try if I had a choice of 1 cigar in the world. It is my dream cigar.

Can you still get them occasionally?

Steve