atmospherics effect on sound quality? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : atmospherics effect on sound quality?

audioblonde
02-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Ok ,so I searched,found nothing! Now, has anyone perceived a difference in the performance of their system with respect to differing weather conditions?Speciffically,I could swear that when we have a really great day here in Florida as today was,(low humidity in the 30plus per cent range,Temperature high 60's to 70)I perceive as I did today a marked improvement in sound quality.It is difficult to articulate,but it is the 'you know it when you hear it' change.That is opposed, obviously, to higher temperatures and much higher humidity numbers which of course are more common,even in winter.Maybe it is a 'placebo effect',but I have never thought of myself as particularly prone to such,and have even had attempts made to be hypnotized,unsuccessfully.I see that as a good thing btw.Hey,muchas gracias in advance for input,or not.

Geoffcin
02-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Ok ,so I searched,found nothing! Now, has anyone perceived a difference in the performance of their system with respect to differing weather conditions?Speciffically,I could swear that when we have a really great day here in Florida as today was,(low humidity in the 30plus per cent range,Temperature high 60's to 70)I perceive as I did today a marked improvement in sound quality.It is difficult to articulate,but it is the 'you know it when you hear it' change.That is opposed, obviously, to higher temperatures and much higher humidity numbers which of course are more common,even in winter.Maybe it is a 'placebo effect',but I have never thought of myself as particularly prone to such,and have even had attempts made to be hypnotized,unsuccessfully.I see that as a good thing btw.Hey,muchas gracias in advance for input,or not.

Weather makes a difference in sound conditions. Big panels speakers are especially sensitive to it too. Although your right, if the weather's miserable (and you are too) then nothing's going to sounnd as good as when it's nice.

Jimmy C
02-15-2006, 04:07 PM

...but my preference is opposite yours. I THINK my rig sounds better when it's somewhat humid outside. Quite frankly, I'm not really sure why - I run the air when it gets too hot here in NY, but still, I would choose a relatively hot, humid day for listening.

Maybe THAT'S it - your A/C is on during hotter (FL) months? Extra noise? Ambient noise is a big thing, IMO, one reason store demoes usually pale in comparison to what you can acheive at home. When one THINKS a place is quiet, the results may suprise you...

Just bring that Rat Shack meter along with you during daily activities... you wouldn't believe how much noise one is exposed to on a regular basis. Yes, I'm a nerd, I have done it :^) Home sweet home is (usually, and hopefully!) super-quiet compared to outdoor activity. I never realized.

As per usual, on occasion, my $.02

Geoffcin
02-15-2006, 04:08 PM
...but my preference is opposite yours. I THINK my rig sounds better when it's somewhat humid outside. Quite frankly, I'm not really sure why - I run the air when it gets too hot here in NY, but still, I would choose a relatively hot, humid day for listening.

We never really get under 50% here, but I've pushed it down well under 40% with the air running. The lower the better for sound. It makes a difference in concerts too. My Denver friends rave about Red Rocks. It's not only high there, but super dry.

Wireworm5
02-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Yep, I have noticed that too. Some days the sound seems richer and nothing has change 'cept the weather. I haven' t linked it to low or high pressure though. Also I think the stereo sounds better when its extremely cold outside, because then its usually pretty darn cold in my basement. But then I am too uncomfortable from the cold to appreciate it.:)

Jimmy C
02-16-2006, 04:24 PM
We never really get under 50% here, but I've pushed it down well under 40% with the air running. The lower the better for sound. It makes a difference in concerts too. My Denver friends rave about Red Rocks. It's not only high there, but super dry.

...travels very well underwater (dolphin sonar, etc.). And, as counter-intuitive as it is, a baseball travels further on a humid day. No, I'm not sure what that has to do with listening :^)

Red Rocks looks gorgeous.

I'll have to do more experimenting...

audioblonde
03-02-2006, 02:49 PM
more along the line that the ingredients the 'weather' is comprised of,e.g. temperature,relative humidity,barometric pressure,and perhaps even moon phase,must, or at the least may, have effect on the physical aspects of the materials engaged in the reproduction of sound as opposed to the effects the aforementioned forces may exert on the sound 'waves'.

Dusty Chalk
03-02-2006, 06:37 PM
A friend of mine explicitly noticed that he much prefers his electrostatics on dry days than otherwise.

Bernd
03-03-2006, 07:53 AM
I found that after a good ole' Thunder and Lightning session the system sounds that much more alive.
I have also noticed that, when the next day is a day off or relative low pressure work wise, I seem to enjoy the system more. Maybe just a more relaxed frame of mind.

Peace

Bernd

nightflier
03-03-2006, 09:54 AM
"...travels very well underwater (dolphin sonar, etc.). And, as counter-intuitive as it is, a baseball travels further on a humid day."

Actually, we know that light is affected by humidity, so there is no reason to believe sound isn't. Since our ears are not relatively sensitive and you are convinced that you can hear a difference, then the difference is probably substantial. It should be easy to measure this with a dB meter and to plot this on a graph along with the relative humidity. It would take a little effort over a few days, but I for one, would be very inetrested in what you find out.

Very interesting thread.

JohnMichael
03-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Speakers with untreated paper cones will absorb moisture from the air. I have found they sound better on dry, low humidity days.

markw
03-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Actually, I'm not too sure the atmosphere's affect on our internal systems (blood pressure, air pressure in/on the inner ear, etc) and the like have more of an effect than the weather outside.

Do I get any extra points for using both "affect "and effect " in the same sentence?

Dusty Chalk
03-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Actually, I'm not too sure the atmosphere's affect on our internal systems (blood pressure, air pressure in/on the inner ear, etc) and the like have more of an effect than the weather outside.

Do I get any extra points for using both "affect "and effect " in the same sentence?Yes. If for no other reason than you made me look them up.

PAT.P
03-07-2006, 08:24 PM
You really have to much time guys :idea: I have vision of speakers with thermometer built -in,pressure gauge.Anyone here try to listen to a speaker frozen in a freezer:ihih:

JoeE SP9
03-13-2006, 06:00 AM
I seem to remember an interview years ago with Jim Strickland (speaker designer at Acoustat) saying that ESL's of any type are effected by high humidity levels. The diaphragm materials used in ESL's or Magneplaners are hygroscopic so they will not absorb moisture. It may have something to do with the electrostatic charge being effected by the moisture in the air. The dielectric properties of air vary with the humidity. Very humid air is a better conductor than dry.
My ESL's always sound better when the humidity is low. I didn't notice this when I owned Maggies. It may be because Magneplaners use magnetic fields for their operation. http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon6.gif