MovieBeam To Offer On-Demand High Definition Movie Rentals [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MovieBeam To Offer On-Demand High Definition Movie Rentals

Geoffcin
02-15-2006, 07:57 AM
NEW YORK - MovieBeam Inc, a spin-off from Walt Disney Co will begin the distribution of the first ever U.S. home delivery service on Tuesday. The company, which is also backed by Cisco Systems and Intel hopes to challenge the "Netflix, Blockbuster and cable video-on-demand services" and gain a foothold in the $10 billion film rental market in the country.

Full story;

http://www.whatistheword.com/story/Showbiz_668.html

kexodusc
02-15-2006, 08:59 AM
My service provider is offering something similar.
What people haven't been able to explain to me is whether or not these are true HD movies, or just movies released in 480p being "broadcast" on an HD channel?

Geoffcin
02-15-2006, 09:47 AM
My service provider is offering something similar.
What people haven't been able to explain to me is whether or not these are true HD movies, or just movies released in 480p being "broadcast" on an HD channel?

The movies will be broadcast in "true" HD quality. As to your provider, I would check with them. I have Cablevison here, and the movies ARE in HD (1080i).

kexodusc
02-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah, my provider's call center is less than up-to-snuff on this stuff. My gear reads this as being 1080i, and the picture quality certainly is excellent, I'm just wondering where the cable companies get their hands on a 1080i format for movies right now? Is it up-scaled from 480p or compressed or anything like that?

Geoffcin
02-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Yeah, my provider's call center is less than up-to-snuff on this stuff. My gear reads this as being 1080i, and the picture quality certainly is excellent, I'm just wondering where the cable companies get their hands on a 1080i format for movies right now? Is it up-scaled from 480p or compressed or anything like that?

I'm a couple of miles from Cablevision's main programming center, and it's just covered with massive dishes.

kexodusc
02-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Those lucky bastards...Geez, dishes are cheap these days Geoff....forget about getting a BluRay or HD-DVD player, get a dish and see what signals they're sending on your property.

Geoffcin
02-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Those lucky bastards...Geez, dishes are cheap these days Geoff....forget about getting a BluRay or HD-DVD player, get a dish and see what signals they're sending on your property.\

Will I get to 2000 before you get to 4000! ;)

kexodusc
02-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Well, that all depends?
Do you spend 14 hours a week waiting in airports or motels with nothing better to do than this?