Cathedral Sound LR45 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cathedral Sound LR45

Audio-bob
02-15-2006, 06:11 AM
I first experienced "Cathedral Sound" loudspeakers a few months ago and I only have one problem with them. These 45" tall loudspeakers are so perfect for drawing you in to the music or movie that it makes listening to other more typical speaker designs seem less enjoyable.
The Cathedral Sound LR45 loudspeaker, this coupler transmission line enclosure is a whole new concept in speaker enclosures. I believe there are no speakers under $7,000 that can even come close in audio performance at all. In order to get good sound from some of these higher priced speakers you have to use a more expensive higher power amplifier, and you may have to place a very impractical 250 - 1,000 lbs of speakers in the middle of the room. Listening to music is a whole new experience because of the fullness and expanded sweet spot with no percieved phase distortion.
The Cathedral Sound loudspeakers use a new type of shallow slope cross over network and its unique coupler transmission line design to create the sought after transparent "three dimensional soundstage". With more and more high end designers going for higher order (1st as opposed to 4th) crossover networks, Cathedral Sound loudspeakers 3.5dB/octave shallow slope design (0 order?) gives Nucore Electromagnetics a unfair advantage in loudspeaker design. Thie shallow slope crossover slope is achieved through a entirely new type highly efficient inductor technology.
Cathedral Sound loudspeakers are without a doubt the the most efficient speaker design ever made for a home cinema system or "high end home stereo". Durring the demonstration at the Northwest Audiophiles Society Real Worl Acoustics (RWA) Brad Judah and Andy Bartha demonstated the efficiency with a multimeter to a completely amazed group of over 30 people.
I look forward to reading other peoples reviews on these "coupler transmission line loudspeakers".

Nucore Electromagnetics
Hillsboro, OR
USA
Nucoreinc.com

Alpha 846
03-09-2006, 07:24 PM
OK, and exactly how does this group market their speakers? Through dealers, direct from the manufacturer sales, direct marketing, multi-level? Please enlighten us.

Also, what were the results with the "mulitmeter" that you say that they used to measure the efficiency of the speakers? I use a dB meter to measure the sensitivity of my speakers. Can you be more specific?.

Alpha 846 :biggrin5:

gbowers
04-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Did you compare Cathedral Sound loudspeakers to B&W speakers?

Where did you buy Cathedral Sound loudspeakers?

Gordon

I first experienced "Cathedral Sound" loudspeakers a few months ago and I only have one problem with them. These 45" tall loudspeakers are so perfect for drawing you in to the music or movie that it makes listening to other more typical speaker designs seem less enjoyable.
The Cathedral Sound LR45 loudspeaker, this coupler transmission line enclosure is a whole new concept in speaker enclosures. I believe there are no speakers under $7,000 that can even come close in audio performance at all. In order to get good sound from some of these higher priced speakers you have to use a more expensive higher power amplifier, and you may have to place a very impractical 250 - 1,000 lbs of speakers in the middle of the room. Listening to music is a whole new experience because of the fullness and expanded sweet spot with no percieved phase distortion.
The Cathedral Sound loudspeakers use a new type of shallow slope cross over network and its unique coupler transmission line design to create the sought after transparent "three dimensional soundstage". With more and more high end designers going for higher order (1st as opposed to 4th) crossover networks, Cathedral Sound loudspeakers 3.5dB/octave shallow slope design (0 order?) gives Nucore Electromagnetics a unfair advantage in loudspeaker design. Thie shallow slope crossover slope is achieved through a entirely new type highly efficient inductor technology.
Cathedral Sound loudspeakers are without a doubt the the most efficient speaker design ever made for a home cinema system or "high end home stereo". Durring the demonstration at the Northwest Audiophiles Society Real Worl Acoustics (RWA) Brad Judah and Andy Bartha demonstated the efficiency with a multimeter to a completely amazed group of over 30 people.
I look forward to reading other peoples reviews on these "coupler transmission line loudspeakers".

Nucore Electromagnetics
Hillsboro, OR
USA
Nucoreinc.com

Juan_Francisco
05-04-2006, 12:28 PM
Nucore Electromagnetics sells Cathedral Sound loudspeakers direct to consumers at this time as well as through a dealer in Washington that has a very new website. Nucore Electromagnetics, Brad Judah also of Real World Acoustics and Andy Bartha are known in the high end audio community. The Cathedral Sound interconnects and RDP150 Room Dampening Panels have been reviewed in Bound for Sound and all products have been to CES in Las Vegas.
Here is the contact information for you guys so you can get all your questions answered.
Some information is available at www.professionalaudiospeakersystems.com.

Nucore Electromagnetics
5285 Elam Young Pkwy. (a 500)
Hillsboro Oregon
Brad Judah
Andy Bartha
503-640-1500

Florian
05-05-2006, 12:41 AM
This is without a doubt the lamest advertising strategy i have seen in years on this site, and the Lord knows i have seen em all. If you compare it to B&W, we already know it cant sound anywhere near good. How about sending me a pair for review and i will compare against some Top Dogs?

gbowers
05-05-2006, 06:45 PM
This is without a doubt the lamest advertising strategy i have seen in years on this site, and the Lord knows i have seen em all. If you compare it to B&W, we already know it cant sound anywhere near good. How about sending me a pair for review and i will compare against some Top Dogs?

Please indicate specific reason you do not like B&W speakers.

Thanks.

Florian
05-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Please indicate specific reason you do not like B&W speakers.

Thanks.
First off we have the coloration from the box and the unnatruel dispersion characteristic. Secondly we have the problem of the reproduction of a Piano which stretches over 3 DIFFERENT drivers, with 3 DIFFERENT ecloseres and 3 DIFFERENT sonic signatures and 3 DIFFERENT dispersion characteristics. Which guarantrees a NON-Realistic reproduction of a given instrument. Let alone anykind of reproduction.

spf
05-08-2006, 09:01 AM
First off we have the coloration from the box and the unnatruel dispersion characteristic. Secondly we have the problem of the reproduction of a Piano which stretches over 3 DIFFERENT drivers, with 3 DIFFERENT ecloseres and 3 DIFFERENT sonic signatures and 3 DIFFERENT dispersion characteristics. Which guarantrees a NON-Realistic reproduction of a given instrument. Let alone anykind of reproduction.

Hehehe, an even better advertisement for ribbon speakers...sheesh. People please, the art of finding audio nirvana is in your ears. Whatever sounds the best to you is the best to you. Period. The only definites are Death and Taxes and maybe Kraft Dinner.....heheheheh.

Florian
05-08-2006, 09:07 AM
The difference is the following

1. I gain nothing from advertising
2. I dont sign up on a website to push a product
3. I only replied to a question and you cant prove me wrong.

Ever wondered why noone replys? Because noone is dumb enough to buy into your cheap advertising.

Period.

JoeE SP9
05-08-2006, 12:16 PM
The difference is the following

1. I gain nothing from advertising
2. I dont sign up on a website to push a product
3. I only replied to a question and you cant prove me wrong.

Ever wondered why noone replys? Because noone is dumb enough to buy into your cheap advertising.

Period.
I would have quoted all your responses if I could Flo. All of them are correct. Most specially your answer about splitting a piano to three different speakers. My ESL's have one crossover at 80Hz. Hows that for seamless response? The blatant advertising in the thread starter is ridiculous. If you are a manufacturer you should admit so up front. This is almost as bad as one of those "Blose" threads.:cool:

nick fournier
05-18-2006, 07:09 AM
i have had the chance to listen to the cathedral sound loudspeakers often enough to get a real good idea of the sound they can offer.
these are truly a speaker design that was built from the ground up, totaly developped by the gentlemans at nucore technology.
these speakers are easy to place in a room, they are not placement dependent like bass reflex designs, just a few gross guidelines to follow and thats it.ready to play
most of the sound emanating from the speaker comes from the port at the side bottom of the speaker enclosures that should be facing the walls and slightly toed in in order for the sound to be released forward into the room.
the effect is quite stunning, if you like that in your face sound you will not like these because the way they present the music, you should be siting quite far from the speakers
not like conventional speakers where you occupy the space close to the apex of 2 speakers firing at you, the sweet spot is nearly eliminated with these, when far enough from these speakers you can move from left to right in the room and the sound will remain consistent. imaging is wall to wall with instruments well placed in that context, tonaly these flesh out tones in such a natural and unagressive way its scary, vocals, piano, strings, percussions are so coherent that these speakers realy grow on you, if you are ready to open yourself to a totaly new design and treat your ears to something new and refreshing, an audition of the cathedral sound speakers should be on your short list.
another asset of these speakers is that they are highly sensitive( 96Db+) and can run on fly powered SET amps, you can also go with a full out setup of these if you have a huge room to fill, they come with a 6", 8" and 10" driver, the 6" has solid bass from 29Hz the 8" has bass@ 19Hz and the 10" has bass down to 13Hz, all this from a single driver.
you can run these in parallel from the same amp, you can have the 6", 8" and 10" driven by the same amplifier on the same channel and vice versa for the other channel, that means you can have 6 speakers along a 40 to 50 foot wall driven by a single low powered amplifier and have wall to wall larger tha real life imaging on the 40 or 50 feet with room filling volume!
Maybe hard to believe! but they are capable of delivering just that.
like i said earlyer, you must drop your conventional way of looking at hi-fi speakers when you first listen to these because of the way they present and convey the musical message.
These wher on display at the montreal audio show 2 months ago,nelson brill of stereotimes tought they where quite interesting if you want to check it out link to.

www.stereotimes.com

go under show reports and look for montreal audio show 2006, nelson brill.