5-CD changers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5-CD changers

newbie06
02-13-2006, 05:31 PM
I was wondering if anyone had comments about JVC XL-FZ258BK 5-CD changer?
A friend recommended the Marantz CC4300 CD changer. I am embarking on building
a good sound system and just curious what are some thoughts about the two models or any other suggestions. My budget is limited, but I am still open to learning more about good quality models.

Also, what should I look for regarding error correction, frequency response, harmonic distortion, dynamic range, signal to noise ratio? Is 8 X oversampling, 18-bit d/a conversion and HDCD processing a must have? Any advice will be very helpful!

Thanks!

N. Abstentia
02-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Answer this question...how will you be connecting the player? Via analog cables, or via digital cable?

The answer to your question depends on the answer to this question :)

newbie06
02-13-2006, 08:33 PM
It will be analog for now, but if upgrade my equipment in the future then I want to make sure that what I buy now is compatible.

JVC does not digital capabilities, correct?

I bought the JVC in haste and wanted to know whether I should return it.

N. Abstentia
02-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Well the reason I asked that question was because if you were using the digital connection then it wouldn't matter so much as to which player you get, as the digital connection bypasses all the internal DAC's of the player. All players will pretty much sound the same using this connection.

However using an analog connection you want to get the player with a better DAC (digital to analog convertor) and in this case the Marantz player should be a much better player than the JVC, but that's not guaranteed. Put it this way...I'd rather have the Marantz but the JVC should be just fine. Both are in the $120 range so there's probably not a huge difference in them.

newbie06
02-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks for your explanation. I found that the JVC did not coaxial and optical digital-audio outputs. That is not good right? Also, the digital-to-analog audio converter is 1-bit P.E.M. D.D.. Not sure if that is a good rating.

With regards to the other features I mentioned (error correction, frequency response, etc.) - what are some of the standards?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I do thank you for you time! I want to be more knowledgeable about sound quality. Are there any websites you recommend?