Anyone else like this? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else like this?

Mr Peabody
02-12-2006, 05:49 PM
In my collection of music I have a couple artists where I have gotten several of their albums accumulated almost by accident. I mean I like the artist but their representation is larger than if I had to buy each title retail. A couple of such artists is Foghat and John Melloncamp in his various name configurations. All of my Foghat is on vinyl and I have about 6 or 7. Some I bought full price but most were cut outs, yard sale or in trades. My Melloncamp are all CD but a couple were given and the others used. I like John but some of his albums only have a couple songs I like and I wouldn't have paid full price. I think I ended up with around 6 of his discs.

I just wondered if anyone else has large numbers of albums by an artist they may be luke warm on but through finding deals their number grew beyond what you might have done otherwise. Maybe luke warm isn't the correct thought, I like Melloncamp and Foghat but it's not like Zepplin where I sought out all there albums. Hopefully in this rambling you will understand what I mean.

3-LockBox
02-13-2006, 05:41 AM
In my collection of music I have a couple artists where I have gotten several of their albums accumulated almost by accident. I mean I like the artist but their representation is larger than if I had to buy each title retail. A couple of such artists is Foghat and John Melloncamp in his various name configurations. All of my Foghat is on vinyl and I have about 6 or 7. Some I bought full price but most were cut outs, yard sale or in trades. My Melloncamp are all CD but a couple were given and the others used. I like John but some of his albums only have a couple songs I like and I wouldn't have paid full price. I think I ended up with around 6 of his discs.

I just wondered if anyone else has large numbers of albums by an artist they may be luke warm on but through finding deals their number grew beyond what you might have done otherwise. Maybe luke warm isn't the correct thought, I like Melloncamp and Foghat but it's not like Zepplin where I sought out all there albums. Hopefully in this rambling you will understand what I mean.

Bob Seger, all bought on impulse but played once. I loved his music as a kid (4 vinyl LPs) and dutifully bought them on CD over the years...although I might throw Mellencamp in there as well, because its been a while since one of his albums were in heavy rotation; prolly not since the early nineties with Whenever We Wanted. But I still continued to pick up his back catalog throughout the '90s via the same methods as you and I think I have all of them by now.

But since you brought up vinyl...how many LPs have replicated in your collection on CD? I know a lot of people prolly have burned some of their LPs to CD, but not everyone have that capability. (I should cuz I got a neighbor with all kinds of rare vinyl)

Mr Peabody
02-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Unfortunately, too many of my vinyl were sold or traded and replacements bought on CD. In my early ignorance to the fact that vinyl could sound so good and the merits of a good turntable. I have mixed feelings really, although I wish I had many of the vinyl titles back I still play CD more due to the convenience and I don't always feel like the cleaning richuals that go along with playing vinyl.

I still have to through on Live Bullet or Night Moves occasionally.

bobsticks
02-13-2006, 06:59 PM
A vast majority of my listening ( 90%-95% ) is jazz or classical, so it goes without saying that I've got miles of Miles and Coltrane laying all over the place--makes sense. But there are those occassional aggressive moments. I think I have 20 or 30 Sisters of Mercy releases, bootlegs and all. The Cult and Disturbed rank in the same category. If I listen to even one of them a month I'd be amazed.
Nice to have onhand for a good rant though