Audio Sync Problem Samsung 67" DLP & DVR [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audio Sync Problem Samsung 67" DLP & DVR

Bonofied Suitor
02-12-2006, 11:46 AM
I would appreciate any help available with my problem. I have a new Samsung HL-R6768W 67" DLP and the high def picture is awesome but the audio going to my Denon AVR-5600 is somewhat out of sync with the video. The audio preceeds the video by sometimes as much as 1/2 second or so. The main signal source is my new DirecTV HR10-250 DVR.
Here are some details..

HDMI connection from DVR to the TV
Tried composite video connections from DVR instead of HDMi and the problem remains
The optical connection runs directly to receiver from DVR
Problem is more apparent on some HD channels - Discovery HD is the worst
Audio seems slightly out of sync with the video from other sources (std DVR, DVD etc.)
I don't see how it could be a problem with the receiver as the audio preceeds the video
There is no way to pass the digital audio through the TV and then to the receiver as the digital optical output only works from the built in HD tuner.

There is a audio delay setting on the receiver but the adjustment available is small and as I said earlier the amount of audio sync error is not constant.

Samsung has replaced the analog and digital PIB board in the TV (twice)
Directv has sent me a replacement HD DVR and the problem is still there

I would be interested if anyone with the same TV and or HD DVR is experiencing the same problem.

Thanks in advance

Jeff - Las Vegas - NV.

edtyct
02-12-2006, 02:26 PM
In cases like yours, you look for the common denominator. Are you sure that the DVD player's audio and video are out of sync, too? Does the DVD player's video go directly to the TV? If the problem were confined to satellite broadcasts, my first guess would be that the DVR is the culprit. Sticking with hi def for the moment, if the DVR's circuitry isn't causing the delay, the only other possibility is the Samsung's video processing, Under ordinary conditions, hi def signals would require less processing than standard def, but as a 1080p display, the Samsung has to convert all 1080i material to its progressive counterpart. It does so by wobulating the signal; I don't know whether this TV also bobs its 1080i sources. In any case, I can imagine a video delay taking place. But I can't be sure. The amount of serial processing under the hood of DLP under routine conditions is staggering. Maybe this thread will get fleshed out a little more and narrow down the choices.

Ed

Bonofied Suitor
02-12-2006, 04:53 PM
In cases like yours, you look for the common denominator. Are you sure that the DVD player's audio and video are out of sync, too? Does the DVD player's video go directly to the TV? If the problem were confined to satellite broadcasts, my first guess would be that the DVR is the culprit. Sticking with hi def for the moment, if the DVR's circuitry isn't causing the delay, the only other possibility is the Samsung's video processing, Under ordinary conditions, hi def signals would require less processing than standard def, but as a 1080p display, the Samsung has to convert all 1080i material to its progressive counterpart. It does so by wobulating the signal; I don't know whether this TV also bobs its 1080i sources. In any case, I can imagine a video delay taking place. But I can't be sure. The amount of serial processing under the hood of DLP under routine conditions is staggering. Maybe this thread will get fleshed out a little more and narrow down the choices.

Ed

Thanks,

At first I was sure the TV was the problem, now it's looking more and more like the DVR and / or satellite problems as there are others on the Directv forums that are experiencing the same problem. As I have already replaced the DVR and still have the audio sync problem I guess I should get back with them and hope they can come up with a fix. Someone suggested that it may be a result of a weak satellite signal. I think mine is pretty strong but I'll check the transponder that carries the Discovery HD channel as it is always the worst. If it has a weak signal than perhaps that theory may hold true. I just hooked up the off-air antenna to the built in HD tuner. If I still have the problem then I'm back to the TV as the culprit.

Jeff

edtyct
02-12-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure about the weak signal theory, but people do complain about lip sync problems in general with Samsung TVs. This is really a complicated issue, because the disconnect can happen anywhere along the chain. Satellite transmission is no stranger to lip sync difficulties itself. Many newer components have manual adjustments; those that handle both audio and video usually delay the audio behind the scenes. If you can get another broadcast source into the house, like cable or OTA, or borrow someone's small LCD panel and run the DVR and DVD player into it, you might be able to localize the difficulty. Hell, you could take home a small LCD panel from Circuit City and replace the Samsung with it for a minute and bring it back the next day--no charge. But if the DVD player is having the same problem as the DVR, the TV is really the likely culprit, for the reasons that I gave above.

Ed