Paradigm Monitor series question. Help me choose. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Monitor series question. Help me choose.

Highgear
02-12-2006, 11:38 AM
I've been researching speakers for my home theater. At first I was looking at the Studio series but came to the conclusion that they are a little out of my price range since I'm at the starting point of building the system. At first I thought a bookshelf would do the job. But after reading many posts I realize I may not be happy with the limited range or the capacity to fill the room. I want to start with the two towers, then purchase the center channel. I'm looking at the Monitor 7,9 or 11. The Monitor 5 bookshelf looks to have the same diameter speakers as the 7, so I'm not sure what the sound difference would be. I do like the narrowness of the 7 and 11 for my living room arrangement of 11" X 22". I would like to know + or - of the three, if there is any.

N. Abstentia
02-12-2006, 11:56 AM
The Monitor 5 is the same as the Monitor 7, just in a smaller cabinet. The Monitor 7 is of course a floorstander so it will have more low end, but it also comes with all the negatives that come with any floorstander. If you are running a subwoofer, the Monitor 5's on proper stands would sound better.

The Monitor 9's use larger drivers than the 7's so they will go a little lower and handle more power. The Monitor 11 goes back to the 6" drivers but uses more of them. The Monitor 11 has more impact but does not really go any lower. It's tigher and louder..great for rock. Drums really have impact through the 11's. I like the 11's, personally.

kexodusc
02-12-2006, 12:05 PM
An 11 X 22 room is by no means to big for bookshelfs. Not sure who told you bookshelfs wouldn't fill the room, but that's not the case at all.
To be honest, I much prefer the 3 bookshelf models in the Monitor lineup to the towers. You pay a lot more money to get a lower bass response. In a stereo system this make sense in some setups, but for home theater, I would argue you would be better off to invest the price difference into a decent subwoofer.
Since you'll cross your speakers over to the sub, the bass benefits are somewhat negated.

For what it's worth, a smaller bookshelf tends to image better than a larger speaker anyway, giving it some benefits for music listening/sound quality.

I think you might be further ahead to consider the Studio 20's over the Monitor 7's or higher. They're a better speaker for the money.

drseid
02-12-2006, 12:37 PM
I agree with Kex here... Your room is not too large for monitors... and pairing the Studio 20s with a capable $500 sub from a company like Hsu, SVS, Outlaw Audio (built by Hsu) or Rocket would most likely outperform the 11s for the same investment.

---Dave

Highgear
02-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Now I'm really confused...........

N. Abstentia
02-12-2006, 01:37 PM
What are you confused about?

And...I will agree with everyone else. If you're looking at the Monitor 7's and up you're in the price range of the Studio series. No reason NOT to go with Studio's. Of course the center channel will cost you a little more, but if you're ready to lay down the cash for Monitor 9's or 11's then it won't matter. The end result would be the same. 9's or 11's with their matching center will cost about the same as Studio 20's and the matching Studio center.

SlumpBuster
02-12-2006, 02:20 PM
I did precisely what you are proposing. I started with my old stereo from college and grad school. It was about 12 years old when I started building off it to make a proper system. The upgrades started with a sub (velodyne), then towers (Paradigm Monitor 11), then added a center (paradigm c-370), then a new receiver (yamaha RX-1500), then new surrounds (x4 Atoms), then separate amp (Yamaha C-65 -1980's vintage) for towers. It took about a year and only have the only upgrades left are the TV and a bigger sub. But I probably won't do that until my next house in a year or two.

I would recommend against bookshelf speakers and the Studio 20s specifically. Mind you all these guys have very good reasons for steering you towards the Studio 20s. They are very good speakers. But I think its a matter of priorities. As a newbie, you'll want a good first experience. The Monitor 11s are some of the best towers in that price point IMO. They easily beat B&W and Dynaudio. My father inlaw has Dynaudio Audience 72's and they suck compared the the 11's. But then again he listens to smooth jazz, and I well... don't. If you get the 11's I don't think you'll ever find yourself thinking "Gee, I wish I went smaller." But if you like to rock out, the Studio 20's can be limiting. I think there is a higher likelyhood of thinking "Gee, I wish I had bigger speakers." if you go with the 20s. If you aren't bitten by the "upgrade bug" then you'll have big bad speakers that you can sit on for a long time, but then again I'm already finding myself stopping by the stereo shop just to be a looky lou around the Signature series.

Last point, and this may be viewed as sacrilege by many: Looks are extremely important. Make sure what you buying looks good. Part of the fun of audio is that we are using discretionary income to buy this stuff, thats we so many people are obsesive about auditioning speakers. Have you ever bought a car without test driving it? I have. I get GM employee discount, part of which means a broker drops the car off at my house and takes the old one away, sight unseen. So, I'll drop 30k on a car sight unseen, but spent months auditioning $1200 speakers. That's somewhat sick. But, it also means that it's got to look good. And call me a fool if you want, but there is something sweet about pulling the grills off the 11s and seeing all those drivers.

drseid
02-12-2006, 03:51 PM
I respectfully disagree on the Studio 20s limiting the listener with Rock *when* paired with a good sub.

If we are talking mini-monitors by themselves I can see your point... but if one is willing to invest $1250/pr. for the Monitor 11 floorstanders, then $1300 will get a pair of the Studio 20s with superior drivers and a $500 SVS or Hsu sub that will extend *much* lower than the 11s, and be more placement friendly. To me, at least, that is a much more efficient way to invest at this price point. Each to their own though...

---Dave

kexodusc
02-12-2006, 03:57 PM
drseid is right...don't confuse louder, and lower bass with "better" bass...the quality of the Studio's is a pretty good step up on the monitors. If you were building a 2-channel stereo system, I could see the Monitor 7's or 11's or something along those lines for presenting a more full range sound. But with a receiver that can incorporate a subwoofer, why waste your money?

Highgear
02-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll be heading down to the audio store sometime this week to listen to them. One shop nearby had the 20's and the Studio 60's. I liked the 20's better but I really have to listen to a wider rang of music to compare. As SlumpBuster said, looks count too. They will to my wife. The Rosenut color will go great with the other furniture in the room. I guess I'll let my ears do the picking. I will run a sub and am swaying to the bookshelfs for that reason. I'll try to audition (correct term?) with a sub and the towers without. I'll be sure to post back my experiance. Thanks so much for your time and expertise in helping me learn.

N. Abstentia
02-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Is this for home theater? If so, plan on adding a nice subwoofer no matter what you go with. Floorstanders cannot produce LFE bass like a subwoofer can, so even if you get the Monitor 11's or 9's, you still should get a sub.

SlumpBuster
02-12-2006, 08:58 PM
I respectfully disagree on the Studio 20s limiting the listener with Rock *when* paired with a good sub.

If we are talking mini-monitors by themselves I can see your point... but if one is willing to invest $1250/pr. for the Monitor 11 floorstanders, then $1300 will get a pair of the Studio 20s with superior drivers and a $500 SVS or Hsu sub that will extend *much* lower than the 11s, and be more placement friendly. To me, at least, that is a much more efficient way to invest at this price point. Each to their own though...

---Dave

In knew you would disagree. :D Monitor 11s vs Studio 20 plus sub, is like saying "Why spend 30k on a Pontiac GTO, when you can get an Infiniti G35 for the same price." Two entirely different purposes.

In alot of ways I even disagree with my opinion on the Monitor 11s. I thought long and hard about about bookshelves before I got the 11s. But I just couldn't help worrying that at some point I'd feel slightly ripped off having paid $1,000 for a couple of 5 1/2" drivers. Yes, it was blatent quantity over quality. After having spent so long in school, getting married, paying off debt, and buying a house, that just seemed like an unbelievable amount for speakers. But a funny thing happened: the 11s were just enough quality to wet the appetite. They were also good enough that the wife now "gets" it and WAF is virtually non-issue. Now, with school done, debt paid off, house renovations complete, those Linbrooks aren't looking that expensive anymore. And, thats after I've had the 11s for only a year and a half.

I recommend the 11s from a newbie standpoint. They carry alot of wow factor, entirely different from the wowfactor of the Studio 20s. From a newbie standpoint, alot of people are looking for some speakers to kick them in the face. The 11s can do that, and still be a good introduction to a more refined sound than Best Buy has to offer, but not even close to the best that can be had.

Also, I came from using bookshelves with a sub, and never liked it. I still don't use a sub for stereo listening. But, my sub is not that great to begin with.

I think we've just thoroughly confused this poor fellow. :D

shaemus
02-12-2006, 11:30 PM
I too had been looking in the Monitor series for 2 ch audio and HT. I listened to the monitor 7's and 9's and then listened to the Studio 20's (thanks to recommendations from AR posters) and I felt that, for the money, I would rather have the quality of sound of the Studio bookshelf than the bass extension of the Monitor towers. Particularly since I am using a subwoofer. The improvement in sound is quite notable when going from the monitors to the studio series. I also feel that for most HT and music listening settings, the 20's will be loud enough in a room that size.

In the end, however, I saved abit more, bought the Studio 60's and I love them. I

Good luck

drseid
02-13-2006, 02:15 AM
In knew you would disagree. :D Monitor 11s vs Studio 20 plus sub, is like saying "Why spend 30k on a Pontiac GTO, when you can get an Infiniti G35 for the same price." Two entirely different purposes.

In alot of ways I even disagree with my opinion on the Monitor 11s. I thought long and hard about about bookshelves before I got the 11s. But I just couldn't help worrying that at some point I'd feel slightly ripped off having paid $1,000 for a couple of 5 1/2" drivers. Yes, it was blatent quantity over quality. After having spent so long in school, getting married, paying off debt, and buying a house, that just seemed like an unbelievable amount for speakers. But a funny thing happened: the 11s were just enough quality to wet the appetite. They were also good enough that the wife now "gets" it and WAF is virtually non-issue. Now, with school done, debt paid off, house renovations complete, those Linbrooks aren't looking that expensive anymore. And, thats after I've had the 11s for only a year and a half.

Also, I came from using bookshelves with a sub, and never liked it. I still don't use a sub for stereo listening. But, my sub is not that great to begin with.

Personally I went with an RX-8 myself. ;-)

I think a possible problem you have had with using a sub for music is the sub itself. IMO, you can't just use *any* sub here... In order for it to work, it really has to be a good quality sub that can integrate well... A few years back, I would run from any sub under $500. I had an Energy 12 incher about 8 years ago that sounded terrible when paired with the mini-monitors I owned back then (Legacy Audio Studios). It *did* sound good for HT, but it was not close to good enough for music, sounding very boomy and annoying IMO. When I bought my ACI Titan II ($1K) a couple years later to replace the under-achieving Energy, I found out what a good sub can sound like when it integrates well with the mini-monitors/mains and has non-boomy bass. Nowadays, that can also be had in the $500 area, you just have to be selective. I am greedy, I want quality, *and* quantity. :-)

Good luck scraping for those Linbrooks someday if you ever decide to... *There* is a monitor that is definitely a step up from your current mains... but I digress. ;-)

Regards,

---Dave

speakeroligist_38
02-13-2006, 06:02 AM
Highgear as I mentioned to you on another board as far as the monitor line goes I much preferred the minis and the monitor 3's. The monitor 7 did not sound too bad given that it is a tower speaker BUT it did not offer much more when compared to the mini and/or monitor 3's. Sure, the monitor 7 had a larger soundstage and could handle more power BUT unfortunately it did not image as well and the extra bass extension was a little bit on the sloppy side of things. Even the minis and the monitor 3's low end sounds a little bit boomy to me and not as controlled as I prefer. However, the Studio 20 v.3's are a very HUGE step above the monitor line and have a very tight, accurate, open and airy sound to them with perfect balance. Funny thing is, in my living room at times I would swear I was using a powered sub and all I have for now are my Studio 20's. Do yourself a favor, listen to what most of the guys are pointing out to you get the Studio 20 v.3's with a sub from Hsu or SVS and you will be glad you did. I am putting my system together piece by piece but in the end it will be worth it. Good luck in your decision. Let us know what you decide.

c00z
02-14-2006, 01:41 PM
I own the monitor 9s v.3 and an running them with a yamaha 4600b and I love them. However, i feel that if I could do it again i would go with the studio 60s since I now want them but do not have the money to upgrade. Thus, save your money and get the studio 60's then you will not want to upgrade since they are amazing speakers for the price. Also, I would recommend the CC-450 to the CC-350. I would just wait and save some money, I love my monitor 9s as I enjoy added base as that is the music I listen to and I do not currently have a sub. However, as everyone is mentioning the studio line is very good and much better than the monitor line, not a bad line, and as such is worth the extra investment.

axelsrd
02-18-2006, 06:12 AM
I've been researching speakers for my home theater. At first I was looking at the Studio series but came to the conclusion that they are a little out of my price range since I'm at the starting point of building the system. At first I thought a bookshelf would do the job. But after reading many posts I realize I may not be happy with the limited range or the capacity to fill the room. I want to start with the two towers, then purchase the center channel. I'm looking at the Monitor 7,9 or 11. The Monitor 5 bookshelf looks to have the same diameter speakers as the 7, so I'm not sure what the sound difference would be. I do like the narrowness of the 7 and 11 for my living room arrangement of 11" X 22". I would like to know + or - of the three, if there is any.

I have Monitor 7's up front, CC370 Center and Mini Monitors for rears (all V.3) and I couldn't be happier.

Highgear
02-18-2006, 06:36 AM
I've been researching bookshelf and tower speakers for some time. The Paradigm Studio 20's are always raved about. I had the day off yesterday and took a ride up to a high-end audio store in Mass. I got to listen to both the Studio 20's and the Monitor 3's. Both sounded good but different from one another. I brought a mix of music, Van Halen, The Motels and Mozart. The Studio 20's were more defined. You could hear more of Martha Davis's voice and the background she was singing in. The Monitor 3's had more bass to them. I think a person without a sub would be better off with the Monitor 3's. Both still sounded great at a loudness I would never surpass. Chalk another one up for Paradigm. I'll be purchasing the Studio 20 v3's next week. Now I'll need a center.............

accastil
02-23-2006, 04:42 AM
good choice. the studio 20 V3 is a good start point.