pop on turn off [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : pop on turn off

2chAlex
02-12-2006, 06:01 AM
Recently I put back into use a Sony GX59ES receiver about 12 years old with 9 years of use. I've noticed on turn off a slight noise or pop through the speakers. Since these are
new speakers I'm abit concerned. I don't recall this in the past. It's the same on panel or remote. Otherwise this receiver performs as new. Is this just the way protection system worked in the past? Or is it in need of service. For now I just turn the volume down at days end and don't turn off. Maybe cause' of the new speakers I'm overly concerned. Well at least the TiVo has company at night. Thanks

kexodusc
02-12-2006, 06:35 AM
Normally I'd say it's nothing to worry about...a lot of amps have the initial surge creating that pop...except you don't think it was there before...
If it's not too loud it's likely not doing any damage...I have a few amps and receivers that behave the same way.

2chAlex
02-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Yeah it's not loud at all, more noticeable up close. I kinda figured it was just over concern due to having new speakers. More than likely it's operating normal and has always been like that. I'm thinking that the receiver I just sold was probably less loud on turn off which makes this one more notieable.

shokhead
02-12-2006, 07:43 AM
If its 100db,worry. LOL

emorphien
02-12-2006, 02:26 PM
If its 100db,worry. LOL
haha, yeah that would be a problem

tdst
02-16-2006, 01:41 AM
It could be that you have other things working off of the same circuit as your audio gear. I experienced the same thing, and came to the conclusion that my living room lights were on the same circuit as my home theater setup.

Resident Loser
02-16-2006, 05:50 AM
...speakers are a bit more sensitive, perhaps you are just listening too close...chances are, it's just the sound of the power supply capacitors discharging and the newer speaks are simply more revealing of that normal function...

jimHJJ(...probably of more concern would be severe turn-on thumps...)

2chAlex
02-16-2006, 08:09 AM
...speakers are a bit more sensitive, perhaps you are just listening too close...chances are, it's just the sound of the power supply capacitors discharging and the newer speaks are simply more revealing of that normal function...

jimHJJ(...probably of more concern would be severe turn-on thumps...)

Thanks RL, They are abit more sensitive 90db vs 89db . I've been looking at upgrading
to a better power unit that includes power conditioning. Once I decide between rack unit or behind the stand. Seems to be monster power or belkin. The previous post had mentioned circuits within in the room.

Resident Loser
02-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks RL, They are abit more sensitive 90db vs 89db . I've been looking at upgrading
to a better power unit that includes power conditioning. Once I decide between rack unit or behind the stand. Seems to be monster power or belkin. The previous post had mentioned circuits within in the room.

...I was referring to the capacitors in the power supply of the amplifier section of your receiver, not those that may be contained in a power/line conditioner

Turn-on/turn-off thumps are usually caused by circumstances within the audio system proper, not outboard units...Many things can leak into the audio chain, light switches, refrigerators, AC units and light dimmers. Since you experience this difficulty when turning off your Sony, I believe those things can be discounted.

jimHJJ(...hope that's clearer...)

2chAlex
02-16-2006, 08:57 AM
...I was referring to the capacitors in the power supply of the amplifier section of your receiver, not those that may be contained in a power/line conditioner

Turn-on/turn-off thumps are usually caused by circumstances within the audio system proper, not outboard units...Many things can leak into the audio chain, light switches, refrigerators, AC units and light dimmers. Since you experience this difficulty when turning off your Sony, I believe those things can be discounted.

jimHJJ(...hope that's clearer...)

I understood about the capacitors, the line conditioning was just an afterthought. As I'm still in the decisive stage as wheather its a needed thing or not

Resident Loser
02-16-2006, 09:03 AM
I understood about the capacitors, the line conditioning was just an afterthought. As I'm still in the decisive stage as wheather its a needed thing or not

...just wanted to clarify...I, myself, have never had problems in that area...just luck I guess...

jimHJJ(...or perhaps I'm not a full-tilt audiopile...)

2chAlex
02-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks again for the insight