New Arrival Imminent [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Arrival Imminent

Bernd
02-12-2006, 04:32 AM
Well it was on the cards and it happened. After the Super Tweeter fiasco, I went and listened to the Perigee FK-1L. Very dynamic and powerful but to my ears still a little metallic and as my attention was drawn to the integration of the different drivers, it would not work for me. As my room will not support the Zingali Home Monitor Range (and moving is a long way off) I started to look around for what is available if I wanted to upgrade. I listened to Martin Logans, Final,Audio Physics,Pen Audio,Totem,Avalon, ART, and others.
I used to own the small ART Stiletto and really liked them, just too small. So after two weeks of extensive auditioning I placed an order for the ART Emotion. They do everything my Zingali Overture3 are doing but more so and are more refined and also remove the harshness that sometimes can creep in, at prolonged listening sessions, with horns. A further bonus is, that I can at a later date have this model upgraded to the silver signature spec.. Which is something that really appeals to me as I do not like changing the hardware, just for changing sake, that much. I didn't plan to buy any new hardware this year, just music, but I have fallen for the ART Emotion and look forward to welcome them home (they're being build at the moment) in a couple of weeks. Bang goes the Koetsu Kitty. Well that one has to wait now till next year.

The power of music gives you wings

Bernd

Florian
02-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Congrats on the new speakers. :-) Out of curiosity, what equipment was run with the Perigee's? And on a side note, this is what i said a few times. Cones are too slow for ribbons, no matter who makes them :p

Bernd
02-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Congrats on the new speakers. :-) Out of curiosity, what equipment was run with the Perigee's? And on a side note, this is what i said a few times. Cones are too slow for ribbons, no matter who makes them :p

Hi Flo,

Thanks for the kind word. The Perigee's are superb speakers and I am sure have many satisfied owners (how many FK-1L do you see second hand?). They were driven by an Accuphase integrated and CDP. I can really see the attraction now of a full ribbon. I also had a nice experience with the Final speakers. Had them here for a couple of days. Very nice, but lacked the ultimate punch I need ever so often. I also liked the Nola Pegasus,but man how ugly are they.I heard also the Eminet Technology LFT 8 but only from the standing position as the room was very full and my Flu started to give me grief. But the biggest impression and a surely future must buy for me was the Zanden modell 2000 transport and model 5000 Mk.IV D/A Converter. Just have to find the money now. After all is said and done I am very happy with my decision and really like the idea that I can retro fit the upgrade to bring he ART Emotion to top spec. So, the journey continues. Will it ever finish?

Take it easy

Bernd

Florian
02-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Will the journey ever end? Properbly but you and i know what it takes ;-)
As for the Perigees, they have given you a small taste of what a fullrange, full scale ribbons speaker can do! *pats on back :-) Maybe your journey will lead you to the Martin Organ system driven bei Einstein?! That was one of the best system i have heard so far. Or maybe the Tannoy Kingdom18 with Silvaweld. Well, it could also be a fullrange ribbon setup. Hop on a plane and come on over :-)

-Flo

Bernd
02-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the invite Flo. I am in Berlin over Easter (Mums 70th Birthday). If time allows I might do a detour on the way home ,through Bayern, and swing on by.

The Audio Journey is actually enjoyable and after the ART Emotion purchase I can then start saving for a Koetsu Coral and then hopefully tackle the Zanden CD system.It really runs my Vinyl set up very close and is by far the best Digital playback I have ever heard by a mile.
So exciting times ahead with lot's of glorious sound and joy.
How is the cross over coming along?

Bernd

Florian
02-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Well, the crossover is coming along. Will be done soon ;-)
I have bought a digital EQ and RTA device which now gives me 20 to 20 flat in room responce with dynamics that can blow your head off with no coloration of box sound of any kind. Muahah :D Ah well, i am happy. Check out the new pics in the gallery, here is a preview.

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/505/medium/244261P2130045.jpg

I am 6.3ft tall ;-)

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/501/medium/244261P2130036.JPG

Thats from the laptop.....The camera cant capture the setup ;-)

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio/505/medium/244261P2130024.JPG

Bernd
02-14-2006, 12:30 AM
That looks sweet. Lot's of work gone into your room and system, but that what it's all about. I always believe it is not how much you spent, but what you do with it and how you implement it. If you really want to hear the full potential of a system you need to invest some effort.
Well done friend. Keep it going.

Bernd

Bernd
02-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Well here is a picture and short report of the ART Emotion. Mine will be in Rose wood.

Bernd

I had been promised, before they arrived, that they were wonderful but knowing the manufacturer as I do, I know that each and everyone of their 'newborn babies' is wonderful!

Anyhow, the EMOTIONs have arrived and I will say from the outset that they are truly a great speaker.

These speakers re-produce the intent of the music, and I am not surprised that Derek and Ramsay (of ART) have decided on the name EMOTION for them. And, by the way, a big thanks to David Spiers, my long time audio guru, for putting me in touch with Derek in the first place. You will see from the picture that the EMOTIONS are a 2-way speaker, using the very best parts possible, including Jensen capacitors and Kondo internal wiring. They produce a huge realistic presentation with a tremendous sense of the weight and scale of the music. Scale is so difficult to capture (and yet so important). The other bonus is that the EMOTION can be placed against the rear wall, if necessary, in a smaller room because the ports fire down onto the base of the wooden stand which is an integral part of the speaker. I think they look quite elegant in a rather old fashioned simple way. No "bells and whistles" to their looks but nevertheless they appear pleasing with their very high quality veneer. In any event, this speaker seems to have no fault (and this is a remarkable achievement in itself) and lots of virtues. I am always a bit amazed at how much can be said by equipment reviewers and this article is only intended as a statement of my own belief, and so keeping it short, the EMOTION works! Article used by kind permission of Audio Evidence, Hong Kong.

Bernd
03-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Wakey, Wakey. Well the ART Emotions have finaly arrived.

Peace

Bernd

Feanor
03-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Wakey, Wakey. Well the ART Emotions have finaly arrived.

Peace

Bernd

Nice looking speakers. Do you have a website for ART? (I collect hi-fi component website URLs. )

Did you get the Emotions or the Emotion Signature? I note that these are pretty posh units: Emotions £5000, Signatures £9000, Emotion Silver Signature, price TBD :yikes: A bit out of my league. BTW, what's the difference between these models? Sounds suspiciously Audio Note's "$40k worth of silver" scam.

Bernd
03-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Thank you.

It's the Signature Version.
The difference is that these are wired internally with Kondo Wire and have Jensen Caps amongst other goodies. I am not a techy. Just when I auditioned the two this one sounded more what I like.
I used to have the ART Stilettos great little speaker. I think the best floor standing speaker below £ 1000.00.
ART is a very low key company run by two brothers. Their website can be found at
www.loudspeaker-art.com
The site gets developed at the moment, so I don't know when it will be live.
To say I am pleased is an understatement.

Thanks again

Peace

Bernd

Florian
03-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Neat! Not really my cup of tee but very cool indeed. Better crossover components can do wonders to the sound, my new design *finishing soon, comes with all Mundorf Supreme Caps, Mundorf Resistors, Mundorf Supreme Pure Foil Spools and Silver wire and silver solder. :-)

Tell us more?

Mike Anderson
03-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Those are beautiful speakers. Although I prefer the sound of planars, no doubt those Rosewood boxes blow 'em away in the optics department.

I do have a Rosewood guitar though; it's just a sweet sounding wood I suppose.

Mike

Florian
03-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey Mike, remember what i said about planars and boxes. I remember the reply, along the lines of B&W boxes etc.... go and listen to a B&W800D now and you will die rolling on the floor laughing! Try a Paradigm Reference, and you will die laughing on the floor.

Bernds speaker and setup is unique, tough!

Bernd
03-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the kind words.

I will try and give some more info.
First off my listening room is 5,5 m long by 4 m wide and 2.6 m high. I have one big window (which has drapes and large plants in front of it) and the side walls are lined with my records and cds. I have two Bass traps in the corners either side in line with the speakers, and first reflection absorbers on the side walls.

The develpment of the ART Emotion took years.Their previous top of the range model was the "Impression" and it was knock out, just pretty ugly. ART is a very small, low key operation run by two brothers on the west coast of Scotland. The parts for the speakers, if unable to be sorced by ART, are custom made for them. The Emotions weigh appr. 50-60 kg and are beautiful to look at and the cabinet is completely dead. A quick wrap with the knuckle will lay testimony to this.The Emotions are 8 ohm (lowest drop 7.6) and 90 DB efficient. So ideal to partner a great Valve amp. And boy is the Synergy working here. I did audition these with the same amp as mine. So no surprise that it will work here too.
They are single wired fitted with the best silver plated conectors I have seen.
Six weeks ago I have spent a whole weekend at my dealers showroom and compared very carefuly, as I couldn't afford to make a costly mistake.
In the end it came down to the ART Emotion or the Zingali Home Monitor. I just felt as the Zingali's are even larger it would be harder to integrate them succesfully.
The ART have now been running since last night and sounding absolutly sublime. And to my ears devoid of any boxiness.They have the dynamic and clarity of a Horn without some of the harshness that can creep in. The Bass is to die for. Deep, taut, solid without any overhang or boom.

I am a happy boy now.

Peace

Bernd:16:

Florian
03-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the fill in Berd :-)

It only further proves what i said for years. It takes high money, many hrs of listening and a understaning to come up with a supreme system. I am sure the speakers are kick ass, but a box is a box. LOL ;-) I am just kidding with you my friend. Silver does a wonderfull job.

Are ya home today?

-Flo

:16:

Bernd
03-10-2006, 03:53 AM
Well I found the spot in my listening room last night, that has the ART Emotions sing heavenly. I set the spiked bases into the sunken crosshead screws, and if one ever needed any evidence how important rigidity is to the sound, this was it. The Bass got even tighter and deeper and the micro dynamics gained extra live.
It now portrays very spooky holograpic images with inky black gaps between the musicians.
Another thing I noticed was the Emotion does not sound like an amp is driving it, but as if the music is effortlesly released from the enclosure.I am sure that is the system synergy working correctly.
And yes Flo I agree a box is a box. However I am not that keen on a couple of surfboards standing in my room LOL, too. Just kidding with you.

Peace

Bernd
04-02-2006, 01:19 AM
Well, for those of you who are interested the ART web site is finally life at:

www.loudspeaker-art.com

Peace

drseid
04-02-2006, 02:57 AM
This may sound like an off-the-wall question Bernd... but are the Emotions based on the same classic Snell design as the Audio Note Es? I only ask as the pictures, specs and design *appear* similar... I have not heard the ART Speakers, but they look like an intersting design. Enjoy!

---Dave

Bernd
04-02-2006, 08:19 AM
This may sound like an off-the-wall question Bernd... but are the Emotions based on the same classic Snell design as the Audio Note Es? I only ask as the pictures, specs and design *appear* similar... I have not heard the ART Speakers, but they look like an intersting design. Enjoy!

---Dave

Thanks I do very much and then some.

No, they where designed from the ground up. A blank sheet so to say.But I know what you mean, on first impressions they are similar looking, but oh so different in every sense.

Peace

drseid
04-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks I do very much and then some.

No, they where designed from the ground up. A blank sheet so to say.But I know what you mean, on first impressions they are similar looking, but oh so different in every sense.

Peace

I'll definitely have to seek them out for an audition, as I love to check out interesting new designs from smaller companies. I have never seen them in the States, but I will have to look harder... Maybe I'll get a chance to hear them at next year's CES in Las Vegas...

Regards,

---Dave

Bernd
04-02-2006, 09:07 AM
I'll definitely have to seek them out for an audition, as I love to check out interesting new designs from smaller companies. I have never seen them in the States, but I will have to look harder... Maybe I'll get a chance to hear them at next year's CES in Las Vegas...

Regards,

---Dave

I don't think there ever has been an agent for North America and it's a good move really, as the boys from ART just about manage to keep waiting times reasonable. If you're ever over here you'll be most welcome to stop by and have a listen.
On a similar note I always admired the beautiful look of the Tyler range. Almost bought a small book shelf unheard (big no no children) just because I liked the wood, got outbid on Audiogon. So still never heard one. One day I am sure.

Peace

Bernd:6:

drseid
04-02-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't think there ever has been an agent for North America and it's a good move really, as the boys from ART just about manage to keep waiting times reasonable. If you're ever over here you'll be most welcome to stop by and have a listen.
On a similar note I always admired the beautiful look of the Tyler range. Almost bought a small book shelf unheard (big no no children) just because I liked the wood, got outbid on Audiogon. So still never heard one. One day I am sure.

Peace

Bernd:6:

I just may take you up on your generous offer someday Bernd (if anything, it gives me a good excuse for an overseas vacation, not to mention meeting you). :-)

Please consider a similar offer always open to you, if you ever want to visit the Washington, DC area of the US.

Thanks,

---Dave

PeeBee
04-05-2006, 05:22 AM
Hi everyone, what a nice pleasant forum you have, I usually frequenbt a couple of UK based hifi fora, and they are a lot more contentious than this, well done.

I joined as I had heard from ART about Bernds posts, just thought I'd come along and support him, he's made a terrific buy.

I owned ART expression 3 way monitors, I have allways supported ART since disc overing their speakers (just for the record ART used to produce turntables under the systemdek name before they sold their design to audionote UK) The ART boys brought a funny looking protoype to my home in Aug sept last year, (I live 30 mins from factory)(incidentally the big snells and other large two ways were part of the design criteria, but only in simple two way concept, all other criteria is completely different from snells), they turned out to be prototype of the Emotion signature, I was hooked, I had them for a week, and vowed to order a pair for myself, I had never heard a more coherent speaker, devoid of boxiness, and a transparency akin to best panels, but without the panel drawbacks.

Originaly the Emotion signatures were to be a standalone model, then they were asked about slver crossovers and looked into the SIlver signature, using jensen silver caps and inductors (around 5kilos of silver per speaker !!) around this time a coule of dealers said they wished they could produce similar sound at less cost, ART decided to try and replace jensen caps with more modest variety and the Emotion was born, and as Bernd says each can be upgraded to next spec.

I recently had the silver emotiosn on loan for 2 weeks and have to say they are even more amazing, although my wife prefers the warmer balance of the signatures to the silvers.

All I can say is these deserve your audition time, they are available in North america nad Canada< i can find out from where if anyones interested

I have also included a pic of my system with emotions in situ.

there is more on them in the uk naim forum and also www.hifiwigwam.com

ATB
Paul

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v250/analogkid/My%20Hifi/sunnykitlistening.gif

Bernd
04-05-2006, 05:34 AM
Hi Paul,

Welcome to our strange little world and thank you for your support. I hope you stay around.
The Emotion are indeed incredible.

Like the picture of your system. I do place importance on to be able to talk to the designer and really enjoyed my chat with Derek on Monday.

Man, the B.O.T. is shining and a fellow ART owner. It is going to be a good day.:)

Peace

PeeBee
04-05-2006, 05:44 AM
Hi Paul,

Welcome to our strange little world and thank you for your support. I hope you stay around.
The Emotion are indeed incredible.

Like the picture of your system. I do place importance on to be able to talk to the designer and really enjoyed my chat with Derek on Monday.

Man, the B.O.T. is shining and a fellow ART owner. It is going to be a good day.:)

Peace

Hi Bernd, yes us Artistas need to stick together, incidentally a few more of Daves (nice guy and fellow Glaswegian like myself) customers live in your neck of the woods, yoda (Mike) from the wigwam forum lives in Warrington and has expressions and has ordered a pair of impressions which have been changed with addition of Emotions tweeter and jensen caps, there is also a chap called Lee (Purplepleaser) who live in manchester and is just about to buy same speakers as yourself, these guys often meet up (as do a few of us in Scotland) for a pint, a chinwag and a talk about music, perhaps you could arrange to meet them, nice guys.

Anyway glad your enjoying them, how could you fail not too.

Bernd
04-05-2006, 06:00 AM
Thanks Paul, I will try and make contact.:)
If you ever down here in sunny Cheshire, drop me a line and you will be made welcome.

Good to know you

Peace

Florian
04-05-2006, 06:47 AM
Yes, glad your here. Let the growing of Quality Music reproduction (at any price point) beginn! And when Bernd comes to visit he can feel and hear the non-shortcommings of a rare planar. Maybe two pair by then :)

Bernd
04-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Hey Flo,
That's what I meant by a great company. I was on the phone to Derek on Monday and today we have Paul joining us. Try that with B&W,etc
Long may great reproduced music remain in our lifes.

And yes Paul is right, us Artistas must stick together.

Peace

Florian
04-05-2006, 06:59 AM
Yeah thats the same when Apogee was around. If you had a question you can call Jason Bloom (The President) and he helped you out. He was an Art collector and had one of the finest music colletions around. What a nice person, he was. May he rest peacefully!

-Florian

PeeBee
04-05-2006, 07:05 AM
Hi Flo, yes apogees nice speaker, but need the best ancilliaries to souind their best.
may stick around if I can get away from fighting on UK fora :D

Florian
04-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Yes they wont work on normal equipment, room, cables etc.... I had to do a LOT work to get them to sing. I found a second pair in europe :-)....

:)

Bernd
04-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Yeah, I heard that about Jason.
Kex said in another post that some people don't place any importance on that sort of contact. Well maybe. It matters to me. When I was in Italy a couple of years ago I contacted Zingali, Unison Research and Pathos and got a tour from all three. That, and a great consistent product line breeds loyalty.
Also SME. I mislayed my booklet for the SME series V arm and I e-mailed them and got a copy back through e-mail and furthermore next day I had a brand new hard copy.
In contrast I e-mailed Clearaudio with a couple of questions before I was going to commit myself and they responded three weeks later in a most crap way. So no deal and the TT was not that good anyway.

Peace

Florian
04-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Exquisite systems require exquisite service!

Soundlab does this, Art does this, Apogee did it (Perigee does it now), and many more exquisite companys. This is very important to me too.