UPS for a 50" DLP [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : UPS for a 50" DLP

sinergy
02-11-2006, 11:10 AM
HI everyone im new to the AV world. I know computers been working with them for over 10 years so when I hear ppl are using a UPS's for big screen TV's this intrigues me. As everybody know its Tax time and am looking to Buy a 50" DLP or Big Screen I know power condition is a must but never really put much thought in it. We use APC Symmetra PX to power our data centers so I convinced APC makes a great product. But from reading through the posts looks like the opinion is mix between UPS's & Surge Protectors. I guess my first question is.

1. UPS or Surge Protector ?
2. APC makes UPS's that have 4 outlets & battery backup and 4 Surge Protection Outlets with 390 Watts / 650 VA. Would that be enough to power a 230 watts Big Screen ?

3. And how many joules of protection is good with out overkill ?

E-Stat
02-11-2006, 04:45 PM
HI everyone im new to the AV world. I know computers been working with them for over 10 years so when I hear ppl are using a UPS's for big screen TV's this intrigues me.
As an IT professional myself, I use an UPS for my computer. Why? If the power should go out or brown out, I want a few minutes time to be able to shut down the computer allowing it to flush its memory cache and avoid data loss. There is no such need with a TV. Is it important to you to be able to watch a program for an additional ten minutes or so until the power comes back on?

I do agree, however, that surge protection is essential for protection and use a Monster HTS-3500 with my 61" Samsung DLP monitor, cable box, and DVD player. The joule rating is not really critical as most monitors don't draw that much current. I plug high current devices such as receivers, powered subs, and power amplifiers directly into the wall.

rw

LMB
02-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Also, check out Panamax I prefer it over Monster
Beware of the rainbow effect on DLP's
Good luck

sinergy
02-13-2006, 12:39 AM
As an IT professional myself, I use an UPS for my computer. Why? If the power should go out or brown out, I want a few minutes time to be able to shut down the computer allowing it to flush its memory cache and avoid data loss. There is no such need with a TV. Is it important to you to be able to watch a program for an additional ten minutes or so until the power comes back on?
rw

The major reasoning for connecting a battery backup was I read some were stating that the bulb was cooled by fans. And the fans continue to cool the tv even after the tv has been turned off. So in a power outage its possible the bulb to burn out ....

A UPS would allow the fans to continue to cool for and additional 10 minutes during a power outage.

E-Stat
02-13-2006, 01:29 PM
So in a power outage its possible the bulb to burn out ....A UPS would allow the fans to continue to cool for and additional 10 minutes during a power outage.
I see your point. Indeed the fan runs a while after my unit is switched off. I'm not sure, however, that one hot soak would take one out.

I guess the question boils down to how much insurance to buy to spare a bulb?

rw

Geoffcin
02-13-2006, 03:04 PM

I do agree, however, that surge protection is essential for protection and use a Monster HTS-3500 with my 61" Samsung DLP monitor, cable box, and DVD player. The joule rating is not really critical as most monitors don't draw that much current. I plug high current devices such as receivers, powered subs, and power amplifiers directly into the wall.

rw

The reason I ask is that you, as well as a lot of us here have a pretty large investment in equipment. I'm not in the thunderstorm capitol here, but every now and then we get a good one come through and I'm always scrambling to unplug all my stuff. I'm seriously thinking of adding a PS Audio power director for my HT & Stereo.

jocko_nc
02-14-2006, 05:36 PM
I'll take a crack at the heat issue...

Consider in terms of energy. If the power quits, the lamp will go out and the fan will stop. At that exact instant, the temperature is as high as it can possibly get. Yes, the cooling is greatly reduced, however, no additional energy is being put into the lamp. Thus, it will not get any hotter from that point on.

It makes no difference.

jocko