6.1 vs 7.1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 6.1 vs 7.1

goldenmember
02-11-2006, 06:15 AM
Hi, just working on my basement home theater construction now and was wondering if 7.1 is worthwhile. Currently running 6.1 with Rotel 1067 receiver, I have the power and the processing but not so sure I want to hang another speaker on the wall. Enough is enough..Or is it?

shokhead
02-11-2006, 06:30 AM
What will you listen to in 7.1?

thekid
02-11-2006, 06:50 AM
Hi, just working on my basement home theater construction now and was wondering if 7.1 is worthwhile. Currently running 6.1 with Rotel 1067 receiver, I have the power and the processing but not so sure I want to hang another speaker on the wall. Enough is enough..Or is it?

11 is louder then 10 now isn't it.......

There I got my daily Spinal Tap reference in and can start the day refreshed........

IMO if you can set up all the speakers properly, your other equipment can handle it and you have the money to do so then why not?

I would only add that I don't think there is enough material out there that makes going from 6.1 to 7.1 a must at this point but down the road who knows.

" Enough is enough"... that is up to you. For some reason I can see the industry trying to split everything up to the point where we get into our "HT chamber" and are completed surrounded by speakers. :)

shokhead
02-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Yep. I can see 8.1 for sure.

GMichael
02-11-2006, 07:10 AM
I say, let's move on to 10.5.

Center
right front
far right front
left front
far left front
surround left
surround right
rear left
rear right
center of room above
center of room sub below
front right sub
front left sub
rear left sub
rear right sub

thekid
02-11-2006, 07:28 AM
I say, let's move on to 10.5.

Center
right front
far right front
left front
far left front
surround left
surround right
rear left
rear right
center of room above
center of room sub below
front right sub
front left sub
rear left sub
rear right sub

Actually G...
A manufacturer had invented a 10.5 system several years ago
There were problems with the "Congressional Series" because the far left and far right could not agree on what channels to play so the whole system just shut down.

kexodusc
02-11-2006, 07:32 AM
The fact the formats don't support discrete 7.1 isn't really the issue...7.1 came because it was a better way of making 6.1 work...there's benefit to having 2 speakers produce the rear channel.

GMichael
02-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Actually G...
A manufacturer had invented a 10.5 system several years ago
There were problems with the "Congressional Series" because the far left and far right could not agree on what channels to play so the whole system just shut down.

They'll work it out. And then we'll have front right top, front right bottom, far front right top, far front right bottom... etc. We'll have 30 speakers around the room plus 9 subs. Our recievers & amps will take up a whole wall. And don't forget the shakers in the sofa & chairs. Who will ever leave the house?

krolfes
02-11-2006, 08:38 AM

My vote is enough is enough. A well set up 5.1 can preforme better than a poorly set up 7.1 system. Use you 6.1 set it up well and maybe wait for a bigger jump than just 7.1. But I would wire up for 7.1 if you have walls open just in case...

goldenmember
02-11-2006, 08:38 AM
I'll wire it up for the future and wait to see what it brings.