what to replace harman kardon with? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : what to replace harman kardon with?

bjornb17
02-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi guys, i have a HK DVD 22, FL8385, and an AVR130. Due to receiving my 4th defective FL8385 and now having my DVD22 die on me again, my limits have been pushed and im going to get rid of this garbage. The AVR130 still works fine so i may hang onto that.

I'd like to have a separate DVD player and CD player. I'd prefer to the CD player to be some type of carousel changer so i dont have to get up and change CDs every few minutes. I also prefer to use the analog-out on a CD player, so I'd like one with good DACs. With the DVD player, it needs good picture quality, s-video and component outs, and some type of digital sound connection. DVD-audio or SACD compatibility is a plus. I'd also prefer them to be from the same company so the components match.

Total budget for the two is about $400. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

EdwardGein
02-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Your not going to like my answer here but I have the Harmon Kardon 31 (2 players to be exact). I can't comment on the 22 other then saying & I've learned to read through the lines, there are differences in parts besides the 31 doing DVD-A & the 22, not. Also, one of my Harmon Kardon 31's did break down but because it was covered by warranty, Harmon Kardon replaced it immediately & I haven't had any more problems. So you might want to try the 31.

I'm beginning to seriously think that anything involving lasers, particularly DVD recorders, break down fairly fast & I try to get extended warranties for them. On some DVD players/recorders, if you don't put the power button on off, the laser, unbeknowest you, is still being used or something.

While its your money, I personally think your wasting money buying both a DVD player & a CD player. Good luck whatever you do but definately get an extended warranty.

anamorphic96
02-10-2006, 09:27 PM
This should work for you. 3 year standard warranty. Good build quality and Wolfson dacs. It only runs 299.

http://integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=CDC-3.4&class=CD&p=i

bjornb17
02-10-2006, 10:35 PM
This should work for you. 3 year standard warranty. Good build quality and Wolfson dacs. It only runs 299.

http://integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=CDC-3.4&class=CD&p=i

That looks exactly like the onkyo cd changer at circuit city. Is integra part of onkyo?

EdwardGein
02-11-2006, 12:00 AM
One thing I've definately noticed, not scientifically, is that I've never had break downs with my CD players but yet have had breakdowns almost always after a while with DVD p;ayers. They both use lasers so why does this happen. I recommend that anyone who gets a DVD player or DVD recorder get if available an extended warranty, no matter what the proce.

evil__betty
02-11-2006, 01:05 AM
That looks exactly like the onkyo cd changer at circuit city. Is integra part of onkyo?
Onkyo is Integra's entry level product. I wouldn't consider Onkyo 'entry level' in a reciever world, but Integra has some really nice stuff. I would check them out. I too have had problems with HK dvd and CD players in the past. Too bad really, because they make some good stuff - just unrelieable.

audiomadness
02-11-2006, 03:39 AM
Give this one a try from Yamaha:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=YAMADVC6770

For only $300 bucks, you get changer/progressive scanning, plays everything (including Hi-Rez) and even upsamples your CD's.

anamorphic96
02-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention the association with Onkyo. There are not huge differences between the two.

The Integra uses slightly better parts such as DAC's.(Wolfson vs Analog Devices) All there products have 20% larger power supplies. They also have a 3 year warranty(1year with Onkyo). I almost forgot. The player is really nice sounding across the board.

drseid
02-12-2006, 04:40 AM
Hi guys, i have a HK DVD 22, FL8385, and an AVR130. Due to receiving my 4th defective FL8385 and now having my DVD22 die on me again, my limits have been pushed and im going to get rid of this garbage. The AVR130 still works fine so i may hang onto that.

I'd like to have a separate DVD player and CD player. I'd prefer to the CD player to be some type of carousel changer so i dont have to get up and change CDs every few minutes. I also prefer to use the analog-out on a CD player, so I'd like one with good DACs. With the DVD player, it needs good picture quality, s-video and component outs, and some type of digital sound connection. DVD-audio or SACD compatibility is a plus. I'd also prefer them to be from the same company so the components match.

Total budget for the two is about $400. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
While I am a big supporter of separating CD and DVD player use (unless we are talking some very nice high-end combo players that handle both well)... with the budget you have to work with, and your multi-disc requirements (that eliminate all the separate CD players I would recommend) I think you are better off with a combo player as Ed suggests. If you look on the used market (maybe on videogon.com) you should be able to find a combo player that meets your needs within your budget.

If you are set on separates, I think you will have to most likely double your budget for the combined players (if you are buying used... a lot more for new), and remove the multi-disc requirement -- for the CD player at least (as most of the better CD players are not going to be multi-disc models).

---Dave