Best T.V. Made Cartoon Character of the 60's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best T.V. Made Cartoon Character of the 60's

Worf101
02-10-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm talking T.V. produced characters only. Not Classic Warner or MGM. Let the voting and "how could you not have ...." beatdown commence.

Da Worfster

GMichael
02-10-2006, 08:44 AM
I loved Top Cat as a kid. Also watched Kimba alot.

Big cat fan.

http://www.kimbawlion.com/

http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm

L.J.
02-10-2006, 09:14 AM
I gotta go with the flinstones. It has always been a family joke that my dad is just like Fred. Grumpy attitude, loud mouth and having a slight dislike of his job. Walks in door after a long day at work and screams "where's my dinner". Great topic Worf.

topspeed
02-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Flintstones, without a doubt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that was the first prime time cartoon in America. Think of the impact that show had. There would be no Simpsons without the Flintstones.

I'm surprised you didn't include The Jetsons, not that it would have changed my vote. But you gotta admit, the lounge music in that cartoon just rocked! Is there a Jetson's soundtrack? There should be!

Fun poll, Worfster!

kexodusc
02-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Flintstones by far and Topspeed took the words right out of my mouth - they were The Simpsons of their generation..and really broke a lot of ground for TV.

When did the old Looney Tunes hit TV? They would have to be my pick if they were the 60's...longevity if nothing else.

Kam
02-10-2006, 11:28 AM
went with the flintstones too with JQ and speedracer both tied for a close second. i have more nostalgia relating to the 'stones, but was still cool seeing a brownie on JQ!! and then racerx was just simply too cool for words. i want to play hadji in the jq movie! but it'll prolly go to the rock. :(

GMichael
02-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Flintstones by far and Topspeed took the words right out of my mouth - they were The Simpsons of their generation..and really broke a lot of ground for TV.

When did the old Looney Tunes hit TV? They would have to be my pick if they were the 60's...longevity if nothing else.

I think that Bugs was a 50's kind of guy. Maybe even older.

Anyone remember the Far out Whacky Racers? Or the Banana Splits?

Worf101
02-10-2006, 11:38 AM
I specifically left out legacy cartoon shows like "The Bugs and Daffy Show" and others that were just shells for recycled cartoons.

Toons that didn't make the list but could've.

1. "Tobor, the 8th Man" - Tobor is... you get the idea.
2. "Magilla Gorilla" - Just more run of the mill H.B. Crap if you ask me.
3. "Josey & the Pussycats" - The Archies with worse music.
4. "jetsons" - Came too close on the heels of the Flintsones and too uppercrust for people to relate with. Fred was blue collar all da way, Jetsons... pheh... not my or America's cup of tea.
5. "The Herculoids" - Good toon before Saturday monring T.V. got too P.C. and stopped allowing chit to "blow up".

6. "Space Ghost" - See above.
7. "Bird Man" "Blue Falcom" et. all.... ibid.

Not much out there when you get past the first shelf.

Da Worfster

GMichael
02-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Fantastic4
Hot Wheels
The Jackson 5
The Osmonds
Fat Albert

Wonder Woman
Spiderman

Kam
02-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Fantastic4
Hot Wheels
The Jackson 5
The Osmonds
Fat Albert

Wonder Woman
Spiderman

as an aside, i really loved the super cheesy, short lived, live action spiderman show. i think that was late 70's, early 80's? but lived for that show! not sure if it would hold up as well watching it now.

kexodusc
02-10-2006, 12:14 PM
What about that old Pinnochio "puppet" or claymation show that use to be on Saturday or Sunday mornings...I think with that old Wizard of Oz 'toon as well...were they 60's? (guess I'm a young'un)

GMichael
02-10-2006, 12:17 PM
What about that old claymation show that use to be on Saturday or Sunday mornings...

Gumby or
David & Goliath?

L.J.
02-10-2006, 12:24 PM
What about Thundar the Barbarian? Most likely 80's, but I just wanted to throw that in there. :p

Woochifer
02-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Worf -

Another great topic!

I went with Rocky & Bullwinkle (then again, I'm a fan of the Jay Ward cartoons in general). The animation itself was pretty lousy, but that was more or less by design and fit with the overall aesthetic of that series.

The appeal of Bullwinkle was the number of different levels that audiences could appreciate the series, and out of the afternoon cartoons that I enjoyed as a kid, Bullwinkle's one of the few that I still enjoy watching as an adult. As a kid, I just liked the adventures, cliffhangers, and bizarre characters that populated the Bullwinkle world. But, once I got into my teenage years, I started to understand more of the wry inside references and puns that were thrown in. And once I went through my college years, I really got to understand just how much depth the humor in that cartoon had.

However, it's interesting that you would imply that Bullwinkle was a drug-induced trip out, because I think that out of all the Jay Ward cartoons, Bullwinkle was probably the most "normal" series that he created! (Is it any coincidence that Jay Ward was born in Berkeley and went to college there?)

You want writers on drugs? I think George of the Jungle was major pill-poppin' time, and tied to that is the ultimate hallucinogenic tribute to every boy's comicbook delusion of grandeur -- The Adventures of Super Chicken! Good gawd, where the hell did they come up with THAT premise?! Just picture the pitch session for Super Chicken ...

-You got this billionaire socialite chicken who lives in a big-city penthouse with a sidekick lion named Fred who tools around town wearing a letterman's sweater.
-But, when criminal activity demands action, the mild-mannered chicken takes a swig of "SUPER SAUCE" after which he goes into a Technicolor-imbibed series of catatonic convulsions, bouncing thru the air and all over the ground.
-Then after exploding and wrecking his living room as a side effect of taking THE SAUCE, he reappears in a swashbuckler's costume and calls himself SUPER CHICKEN!
-He now has super strength and a hyper-elevated will to do good to the citizens of the city, and harbor very bad intentions towards evildoers.
-So, he and his sidekick Fred the Lion step into a flying chicken coop and fly around the world looking for bad guys to fight.
-Oh, and rather than a signature line like "Up up and away," Super Chicken will let the world know that he's on the job by clucking! (When you hear that cry in the sky ... BAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAAAAAHHHH!!!! ... you'll know it's SUPER CHICKEN!)

And guess what, THAT PITCH WORKED! I mean, what drugs were the network execs on when they approved these shows FOR KIDS?

And what the hell is SUPER SAUCE anyway? For all we know, Super Chicken might really be a series about PCP-addicted poultry! You brought up "just say no" in conjunction with Up With People, personally, I think the Jay Ward cartoons very well might have taught a whole generation of youngsters that it's cool to say yes!

GMichael
02-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Worf -

Another great topic!

I went with Rocky & Bullwinkle (then again, I'm a fan of the Jay Ward cartoons in general). The animation itself was pretty lousy, but that was more or less by design and fit with the overall aesthetic of that series.

The appeal of Bullwinkle was the number of different levels that audiences could appreciate the series, and out of the afternoon cartoons that I enjoyed as a kid, Bullwinkle's one of the few that I still enjoy watching as an adult. As a kid, I just liked the adventures, cliffhangers, and bizarre characters that populated the Bullwinkle world. But, once I got into my teenage years, I started to understand more of the wry inside references and puns that were thrown in. And once I went through my college years, I really got to understand just how much depth the humor in that cartoon had.

However, it's interesting that you would imply that Bullwinkle was a drug-induced trip out, because I think that out of all the Jay Ward cartoons, Bullwinkle was probably the most "normal" series that he created! (Is it any coincidence that Jay Ward was born in Berkeley and went to college there?)

You want writers on drugs? I think George of the Jungle was major pill-poppin' time, and tied to that is the ultimate hallucinogenic tribute to every boy's comicbook delusion of grandeur -- Super Chicken! Good gawd, where the hell did they come up with THAT premise?! Just picture the pitch session for Super Chicken ...

-You got this billionaire socialite chicken who lives in a big-city penthouse with a sidekick lion named Fred who tools around town wearing a letterman's sweater.
-But, when criminal activity demands action, the mild-mannered chicken takes a swig of "SUPER SAUCE" after which he goes into a Technicolor-imbibed series of catatonic convulsions, bouncing thru the air and all over the ground.
-Then after exploding and wrecking his living room as a side effect of taking THE SAUCE, he reappears in a swashbuckler's costume and calls himself SUPER CHICKEN!
-He now has super strength and a hyper-elevated will to do good to the citizens of the city, and harbor very bad intentions towards evildoers.
-So, he and his sidekick Fred the Lion step into a flying chicken coop and fly around the world looking for bad guys to fight.
-Oh, and rather than a signature line like "Up up and away," Super Chicken will let the world know that he's on the job by clucking! (When you hear that cry in the sky ... BAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAKABAAAAAHHHH!!!! ... you'll know it's SUPER CHICKEN!)

And guess what, THAT PITCH WORKED! I mean, what drugs were the network execs on when they approved these shows FOR KIDS?

And what the hell is SUPER SAUCE anyway? For all we know, Super Chicken might really be a series about PCP-addicted poultry! You brought up "just say no" in conjunction with Up With People, personally, I think the Jay Ward cartoons very well might have taught a whole generation of youngsters that it's cool to say yes!

The SUPER SAUCE is Mayo & ketchup mixed with a little JD BBQ sauce.

Woochifer
02-10-2006, 01:51 PM
The SUPER SAUCE is Mayo & ketchup mixed with a little JD BBQ sauce.

Probably not. That combination would probably induce heartburn before giving me super powers and the inclination to dress up like a masked pirate and pick fights with bad guys!

GMichael
02-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Probably not. That combination would probably induce heartburn before giving me super powers and the inclination to dress up like a masked pirate and pick fights with bad guys!

So, uh, what would it take to give you the inclination to dress up like a masked pirate and pick fights with bad guys?

Woochifer
02-10-2006, 01:57 PM
as an aside, i really loved the super cheesy, short lived, live action spiderman show. i think that was late 70's, early 80's? but lived for that show! not sure if it would hold up as well watching it now.

Yeek! I saw that show a while ago on Sci-Fi Channel. It was downright painful to sit through!

And before that Spidey series came out in the 70s, the character made several appearances on PBS' The Electric Company, including some with Easy Reader (a bizarre character created by cast regular Morgan Freeman).

Smokey
02-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Does Tom&Jerry count :D

Kam
02-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeek! I saw that show a while ago on Sci-Fi Channel. It was downright painful to sit through!

And before that Spidey series came out in the 70s, the character made several appearances on PBS' The Electric Company, including some with Easy Reader (a bizarre character created by cast regular Morgan Freeman).

i figured it would be, i'll try and avoid it if it ever pops up, i like keeping my fond memories! haha.

GMichael
02-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Did anyone say Underdog yet?

Worf101
02-13-2006, 06:11 AM
Did anyone say Underdog yet?

Underdog's a good call but the rest of that lineup was so weak. I thought that Tennesee Tuxedo was some of the worst tripe ever done. Commander McBragg was a hoot thought.

Da Worfster :cool:

GMichael
02-13-2006, 06:35 AM
LOOK! Up in the sky. Is it bird? Is it a plain? Is it a frog? FROG?!
No, not plain nor bird nor even frog, it's just lil'ol me... Underdog.

Resident Loser
02-13-2006, 10:30 AM
...the Flintstones, but they were really just the cartoon version of the Honeymooners...

IMO The folks who did Rocky & Bullwinkle went beyond standard sitcom fare, all the way to the land of the absurd and back...every bit they did, from the main serial to Fractured Fairy Tales was really out there, and even as a kid I knew it (rather sensed it)...the Kerwood Derby, Tobacco leaf pie, gettin' scrooched, Edward Everett Horton and Robert Conrad for the narration...even the commercial intros "...fan mail from some flounder?..."

jimHJJ(...Gumby, anyone?...)

ForeverAutumn
02-15-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm talking T.V. produced characters only. Not Classic Warner or MGM. Let the voting and "how could you not have ...." beatdown commence.

Da Worfster

Does the Pink Panther count? Although he started as the introduction to the Pink Panther movies, he really hit his height of coolness on TV.

Worf101
02-17-2006, 05:34 AM
Worf -

Another great topic!

You want writers on drugs? I think George of the Jungle was major pill-poppin' time, and tied to that is the ultimate hallucinogenic tribute to every boy's comicbook delusion of grandeur -- The Adventures of Super Chicken! Good gawd, where the hell did they come up with THAT premise?! Just picture the pitch session for Super Chicken ...

Good post Wooch, as usual BUT you're starting to frighten me... There's is not a human alive I believe could've remembered that show. "Super Chicken"!!!???? Are you chittin' me???!!! I'm sure like many a failed toon it was on for about one year.... 15 to 20 episodes at best.... and you remember that chite? Are you an android!!??? I'm good, but you're downright scary!!!! "Somebody call Homeland Security.... I think we got a space alien here".

Da "really really worried" Worfster :eek:

Woochifer
02-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Good post Wooch, as usual BUT you're starting to frighten me... There's is not a human alive I believe could've remembered that show. "Super Chicken"!!!???? Are you chittin' me???!!! I'm sure like many a failed toon it was on for about one year.... 15 to 20 episodes at best.... and you remember that chite? Are you an android!!??? I'm good, but you're downright scary!!!! "Somebody call Homeland Security.... I think we got a space alien here".

Da "really really worried" Worfster :eek:

Nothing to worry about. You almost had me convinced about the android stuff, so I broke out my Swiss Army knife and confirmed that it hurts and I bleed! :eek:

Anyway, I'm actually not old enough to remember when Super Chicken was on network TV, but growing up in L.A., we did get George of the Jungle (which also included Tom Slick and Super Chicken) piped in over the airwaves on Channel 5 every weekday afternoon during those impressionable years of my youth! It was only when I saw Super Chicken again when I was in high school that I began to figure out Jay Ward's insidious conspiracy to dope up America's youth!