Newbie in search of help... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in search of help...

crux12
02-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Reviewed a receiver at a local dealer and some speakers and was rahter happy with the new investment until returning home. It seems that there is a big void in the user who is attempting to hook up this fancy unit basically me. It is a Denon 3806 and was attempting to hook up cable TV, unfortunatly I do not have any digital connections just a basic coax cable. Is the receiver to advanced for my system? How do I hook up the cable to the system?

Previously it was direct coax into the tv with a DVD connected via component video directly.

I know that this is a very dumb question to be asking, but help a newbie out with understanding hte new home theater stuff.

paul_pci
02-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Reviewed a receiver at a local dealer and some speakers and was rahter happy with the new investment until returning home. It seems that there is a big void in the user who is attempting to hook up this fancy unit basically me. It is a Denon 3806 and was attempting to hook up cable TV, unfortunatly I do not have any digital connections just a basic coax cable. Is the receiver to advanced for my system? How do I hook up the cable to the system?

Previously it was direct coax into the tv with a DVD connected via component video directly.

I know that this is a very dumb question to be asking, but help a newbie out with understanding hte new home theater stuff.

You've just discovered that you need a cable box. With a cable box you can connect video (typically an s-video connection) and audio (either or both analog and digital cables) to the receiver, or you may with to connect the video straight to the tv and the audio to the receiver; no harm in that either, but you definitely need the cable box to put the receiver into the mix. I believe that Radio shack sells a contraption (my friend is in the same boat) whereby you can plug in your coaxial cable and output a composite video and anolog audio. It's about $50. If I were you, I'd sign up for digital cable, if you can afford it, and go with the cable box, as that way you should be able to get some programming in 5.1.

crux12
02-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Leets see if I understand this correctly.

With out a cable box the 5.1 is worthless.
Could hook the coax to the TV, but only have stereo out.

Analog cable is effectivly not up to the task required then.

What about DVDs. Would the Receiver be able to play 5.1? Does this require programming of several audio modes?

(Damn, Should of stuck with the OLD 2 - channel tube amps. These were basic)

markw
02-10-2006, 03:43 AM
With out a cable box the 5.1 is worthless.As it stands, for the TV, yes, but it will still play your DVD in 5.1. For 5.1 from your cable you'll need to subscribe to, I believe, at least digital cable. Then, some shows will be available in 5.1, but only via a digital connection directly fron the cable box to the receiver.

Could hook the coax to the TV, but only have stereo out.Yes. You will get the stereo audio (if any) through your receiver. DPL does help considerably on some movies.

Analog cable is effectivly not up to the task required then.Tricky question. That's like saying a bicycle isn't up to the task of keeping up with 75 mph traffic on a highway. It was never designed for 5.1 sound, Digital audio wasn't even in the development stages when analog cable was developed.

What about DVDs. Would the Receiver be able to play 5.1?Yes. All you need from the DVD to the receiver is a digital connection, either coaxial or optical. (hint... virtually any interconnect will work for this)

Does this require programming of several audio modes?Perhaps. But at this time I would refer you to the manual supplied with your receiver. They are all different in how to accomplish what is needed.

(Damn, Should of stuck with the OLD 2 - channel tube amps. These were basic)Well now, that's a whole 'nuther subject which I won't get into. ;)