Velodyne MiniVee Vs. Def. Tech. SuperCube III [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Velodyne MiniVee Vs. Def. Tech. SuperCube III

krolfes
02-09-2006, 04:57 PM
I am looking to get a new sub that is smaller than my Definitive Technology PF1500 15" 17'' X 20" X 18'' 500watts 14Hz-150Hz sub. Its just too big and does not fit in my home as I get older. I am looking for something small that puts out close to the same performance. Which is the better sub:

Velodyne MiniVee $800 10"X10"X13" 1000watts 28Hz-120Hz
Def. Tech. SuperCube III $700 10"X10"X10" 650watts 16Hz-200Hz

$600-$800 is the most I want to spend. Any other sub ideas, SVS subs. Thanks.

anamorphic96
02-09-2006, 07:58 PM
The Martin Logan - Dynamo might work nice. Similar dimensions and specs as the two listed. Retail is 599. This sub also has the option of being a front firing or downward firing sub as well.

Also keep in mind the Def Tech will not hit 16hz. Def Tech tends to get liberal with there numbers. I would expect it's frequency response to be similar to the MiniVee.

paul_pci
02-09-2006, 10:32 PM
A few months ago I picked up an 8" Velodyne (SPL 800 II) and I still can't get over its powerful performance. Truly incredible little sub. Couldn't be happier with the decision to buy it. I think you'll get solid performance out of the Velodyne.

krolfes
02-21-2006, 01:37 PM
How do subs built into speakers work. As I said I am trying to save space. how does the Def Tech. BP7006 with built in 300watt 8" subs work? Will they eliminate the need for a external sub? Is a bookself/small 8"-10" sub combinatin better?

LMB
02-21-2006, 04:55 PM
I am looking to get a new sub that is smaller than my Definitive Technology PF1500 15" 17'' X 20" X 18'' 500watts 14Hz-150Hz sub. Its just too big and does not fit in my home as I get older. I am looking for something small that puts out close to the same performance. Which is the better sub:

Velodyne MiniVee $800 10"X10"X13" 1000watts 28Hz-120Hz
Def. Tech. SuperCube III $700 10"X10"X10" 650watts 16Hz-200Hz

$600-$800 is the most I want to spend. Any other sub ideas, SVS subs. Thanks.b

I have an SPL 800 for sale it's about 2 yrs old nothing wrong just bought a new sub for bigger room if interested contact Lbryson1@san.rr.com

chimera128
02-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Yes it will eliminate the need for an external sub... but not everyone likes bipolar sound or the amount of work it takes to get them to sound right... You should audition them and also listen to some subs that are in your area to find out which would be to your liking.. You could probably take your current speakers with you and run them through subs when you audition to find one that blends well. You could also probably get a supercube I in your price range if you like to negotiate.

krolfes
02-25-2006, 03:45 PM
That is the point that I am at, I need to get out and listen to them. I am down to two systems:

Def Tech SM350 bookshelfs ($500 pair) and a supercube III ($700) = $1200

or

Def Tech BP7006 ($1200 pair) tower with 8" 300watt subs = $1200

Does anyone have a opinion which would be the better bookshelf + sub or towers with built in subs in general with any company? Thanks.

chimera128
03-04-2006, 12:27 AM
LIsten to both... if you like ease of use get the towers (if you have the room).... I'd try to negotiate on a set of 7004s or 7002s though. I got over $1000 off of my bp7000s. You should be able to get at least 20% off of most audio components even when they are new models. 7004s should run around $1200 after negotiation.

abulgan
03-19-2006, 09:40 AM
Def Tech will not hit 16hz. Def Tech tends to get liberal with there numbers

is that true?if YES why?

anamorphic96
03-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Marketing is probably why. They also dont list how many decibels its down at 16hz, and what is the distortion ? They dont list this.

Tom Nousaine of Sound and Vision states that with 10% distortion and at 2 meters away in a 7,500 cubic space the SCIII was able to hit 25hz at 82db. Not bad. In a smaller room you should get about 2 to 3hz more extension and upto 3 db more output. Not bad for a 7.5 inch driver. But not 16 hz.

The ratings in the same issue for the SPL800R which is the Mini Vee without the remote and EQ options will hit 82db at 25hz. Which is roughly same as the Def Tech. I would also expect the same 2 to 3 hz more extension in the same setting as well as the extra 3db of output.

So in a nutshell both subs are pretty much equal. In my experiences Velodynes are bit better with music than Def Tech subs.

topspeed
03-20-2006, 02:35 PM
One thing about towers with built-in subs is that you are forced to choose between where the sub sounds best versus where the mid/tweets do. You'll find that often these are not the same. With a separate sub, you can place it wherever it interacts with your room best. IOW, a separate sub gives you more options.

Chuck Batts
07-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Anybody have a recommendation on a subwoofer???

I recently bought an older NHT system from a guy on craigslist that sounds good and has a Paradigm PS-1000 subwoofer. I just purchased a Velodyne Minivee 10 online for $375.00 including shipping and it should be here in a couple days. I also came across a SVS 20-39 PC Plus subwoofer for $475.00, but I don't know whether I should ditch the first two subs and buy this one, or not. I only watch movies....no music.

Anybody have an idea which sub would be best, any ideas?
Paradigm PS-1000, Velodyne Minivee 10 or SVS 20-39 PC Plus

Thanks in advance.....Chuck

blackraven
07-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Go with the Velodyne over the DT! Velodyne only makes subs and they make them well. I've heard the DT and was not impressed. The Martin Logan Dynamo is a great buy at $600 and compares well to subs in the $1K range.

Chuck, I can't comment on the SVS because I've never heard one. I am partial to Velodyne,
REL and Martin Logan subs.

TheHills44060
07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Between those 2 choices I'd go for the Minivee.

dschachter
07-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Hi - Just joined the forum. I also need a good, compact sub, under $1000.
I'm looking closely at the Martin Logan Dynamo ($600) and the Velodyne Minivee 10 ($800). But I've also seen some glowing user reviews of the PolkAudio DSW MicroPRO 1000 ($550), and am considering that as well.

The Dynamo seems to be an excellent choice for the price, but one of the reviews at this site mentioned, as a negative, that "there are no speaker outs; the sub is hooked to the preamp then power amp". My apartment is pre-wired, and there's a single wire with connector in place for the sub. Can I assume it is intended for connection to my A/V reciever so I won't need any "speaker outs"? Also, I will prefer a front-firing sub, and in that position the connections are at the bottom, and I might need to replace the connector with an L-shaped one in order to have enough room to make the connection.

Does anyone have an opinion as to what my best choice would be? Any guidance would be appreciated. Also, to Chuck Batts: are you able to share where you were able to find the MiniVee 10 at such a great price?

Thanks to all who read this, and for any replies.

blackraven
07-22-2009, 06:21 PM
I would look for a Velodyne SPL 8 or 10. They are similar to the Minivee but come with a remote.

dschachter
07-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks, Blackraven. As it happens, I've got an SPL-10 in my vacation home, and I'm generally pleased with it. But I hardly ever use the remote (I'm not even sure when or how it is supposed to be used), and I'm trying to save a few bucks here. If the Minivee 10 is similar in performance, then I'll probably be happier with that than with either the Martin Logan or the Polk, since the Minivee comes with a fuller array of connection options and since I already have confidence in the Velodyne brand.

dschachter
07-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Sorry, I misspoke. The sub I have in my vacation home is an SPL-1000R.
The SP-10 may be similar; but, I gather it's a model that came out several years ago, and as a result I can't seem to find any new ones for sale.

dschachter
07-24-2009, 08:32 AM
I've gone ahead and ordered the Martin Logan Dynamo. Seems like the best choice for my situation, and on top of that I was able to get what seems to be a super price.
I'll put up another post after it's installed and I've had a chance to evaluate.

teds12
12-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Folks,
Liking Definitive Technology (DT) speakers but not caring for bipolar sound, several years ago I purchased the Protower 400 with a DT matched center channel and 4 matched DT surrounds.

Being scientifically inclined, I used my BIC equalizer's microphone and found the equalizer settings that furnished "flat response" across the audio spectrum at 1 meter from the powered dual 6.5" built-in subwoofer units (11 o'clock). When I placed the towers near their respective corners (2' from each wall) the 30-60 and 60-120 octaves each jumped up 3 dB. When I followed DT's user manual's advice and set the bass to 12 o'clock the number jumped to +6 dB. Since I like reasonable bass I've always used these towers with that 6 dB corner reinforcement & DT's number. (NOTE: I also found the tower bass setting for flat response in the corner was at 10 o'clock.)

I recently bought a DT Super Cube III (SCIII), put it in a room corner as suggested by DT and then spent quite a while trying to blend the SCIII with my 7 channel setup. Obviously, with +6 dB already from the towers, I was into some heavy unrealistic thumping in my TV/audio room. Note that I pegged the low frequency crossover at 150 Hz on the SCIII and used my Yahama receiver to set the crossover for the system (I've ended up at 100 Hz). The best electronic result was to set the towers as "small" along with everything else, but I was a bit unhappy about relegating the towers that way. I finally set the towers at the corner flat response setting of 10 o'clock and used "Kentucky Windage" to set the SCIII bass levels similar to what the towers alone delivered at their 12 o'clock settings.

My verdict is: The Protower 400's set at 12 o'clock delivered VERY satisfying bass; the SCIII, on balance, delivers even MORE satisfying and deeper UNDISTORTED bass than the towers alone ever could without sounding DISTORTED!.

emanuelfulghum
12-01-2011, 10:48 PM
I've gone ahead and ordered the Martin Logan Dynamo

blackraven
12-01-2011, 10:55 PM
I've gone ahead and ordered the Martin Logan Dynamo

You will like the dynamo, if its the 700 or higher model. It's a very musical sub with nice tight controlled bass. The dynamo 500 is ported and less power.