Muddy Sound in Center Channel [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Muddy Sound in Center Channel

clockwork
01-20-2004, 09:44 PM
I have been very happy with my Yamaha RX-V2095 for more than a year now but I have had this lingering problem with my Jamo centre speaker. I have used the Jamo with a Yamaha RX-V596 before and it is very crisp and detail in its sound reproduction. But when I hooked it up with my 2095, I couldnt get the same crispness and detail. I have not tried the 2095 with other center before so I do not know if this is Yamaha's fault or what.

What is the solution for this? If possible I would like to keep the 12 year old Jamo because it has been so good to me and it performed flawlessly until with the 2095. The only reason I could think of is that the 2095 may be selective of center speakers to use. But I highly doubt that. I am not an audiophile or an expert so I do not know what would be the appropriate steps to take. I have tweaked the setting to no end and position the speaker everywhere but I still couldnt get the cripiness and detail that I want in a center speaker.

Ultimately, I may have to replace the Jamo and buy another center speaker. I would like some recommendations on which one sounds good with the yamaha rxv-2095. My budget for the center is U$500.00. Currently, I have a JBL E100 front, JBL front effects, JBL subs, and bose 301 rear. What I like is a clear, crisp and very detailed center dialogue. I do not need it to sound bassy just the mid and high frequencies.

TIA.

Worf101
01-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Perhaps the center channel needs a new tweet or surrounds? Check the actual condition of the speaker... it may be shot. As for a possible replacement, I've found that Klipsch makes some of the best center channels around and they come in a variety of sizes ans styles. Klipsch are known for being "bright" speakers (at least some of the older models) in a center channel this is a "good" thing. Since you're running JBL's you may want to timbre match your center with those but I'm not a big believer in timber matching. All my systems are "mismatch".

Hope this helps...

Da Worfster

clockwork
01-21-2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks Da Worfster. I tried again to hook it up with my RXV596 that is sitting in the bedroom and it is still functions as I expected, clear with crisp dialogues. My conclusion to the problem would be to buy another center channel. The 2095 may be selective of which speakers to use and though I really like the Jamo's characteristics, I may have to let it retire.

I have also heard of timbre matching. I am not very particular about it but it wouldnt hurt auditioning good JBL centers first, possibly with the JBL E100. But If i dont find one that suits my ears, I would have to look further and would certaingly audition the Klipsch you mentioned.

Lastly, I have heard from reviews that there is a tweak for the RX-V9025 and that when properly done, produces brighter sound and better sounds all around. It involves the preamp main-in but I do not know which one to connect to another.Perusing all more than 300 reviews is a little too much so if anyone knows the actual procedure, would anyone be so kind in detailing the steps.

Thanks, Da Worfster.

Perhaps the center channel needs a new tweet or surrounds? Check the actual condition of the speaker... it may be shot. As for a possible replacement, I've found that Klipsch makes some of the best center channels around and they come in a variety of sizes ans styles. Klipsch are known for being "bright" speakers (at least some of the older models) in a center channel this is a "good" thing. Since you're running JBL's you may want to timbre match your center with those but I'm not a big believer in timber matching. All my systems are "mismatch".

Hope this helps...

Da Worfster

Woochifer
01-21-2004, 02:09 PM
I would get a SPL meter and test the levels to make sure that the center speaker level matches the mains. It's very possible that your center speaker doesn't sound the same because the levels are incorrectly set on the 2095 (or were set too high on the 596). Switching out the receiver alone should not change the tonal characteristics of a speaker as drastically as you describe, unless you're also using different DSP modes or connection methods or other settings. Since you're using a sub, you should also have the center speaker set to "Small" so that the low frequencies get channeled to the sub.

Since you're using a mismatched center speaker right now, you should look for the matching JBL center speaker for your mains and add that to your system. The tonal characteristics of a center speaker don't mean anything if the sound mismatches with what you hear from the mains. With the front three speakers, you want a seamless panning effect from left to right. A mismatched center speaker detracts from that goal.

clockwork
01-22-2004, 04:59 AM
I would get a SPL meter and test the levels to make sure that the center speaker level matches the mains. It's very possible that your center speaker doesn't sound the same because the levels are incorrectly set on the 2095 (or were set too high on the 596). Switching out the receiver alone should not change the tonal characteristics of a speaker as drastically as you describe, unless you're also using different DSP modes or connection methods or other settings. Since you're using a sub, you should also have the center speaker set to "Small" so that the low frequencies get channeled to the sub.

Since you're using a mismatched center speaker right now, you should look for the matching JBL center speaker for your mains and add that to your system. The tonal characteristics of a center speaker don't mean anything if the sound mismatches with what you hear from the mains. With the front three speakers, you want a seamless panning effect from left to right. A mismatched center speaker detracts from that goal.

Thanks for the response. When I tested the Jamo with the 596 i have set it to DPL and the same with the 2096. Somebody told me that my old Jamo may not be modern enough to handle the better center decoding characteristics of newer receivers so that may explain it.

Anyway, I am currently auditioning different brands of centers. I havent found what I like yet and yes I am seriously considering a center from JBL because I have already a JBL front and front effects.

clockwork
01-31-2004, 11:26 AM

Thanks for all the advices but here is what I did. I went for B&W 602 S3 for the fronts and B&W LCR 600 for the front. I demoted my JBLs to my rear surround and the bose takes the front effects. I couldnt be happier with the new purchase and arrangement of speakers. The B&W mounted on a stand acts like a floorstanding, the sound coming from it is simply marvelous. The B&W center is just a breath of fresh air. Its like I had my ear full of wax and then suddenly flushed. The JBLs works now at their best on the rear surrounds. Its too expensive for a rear surround but I couldnt be happier.

Next stop, to upgrade my TV to a 64 plasma. "Any suggestions?

ranasjsu
03-28-2020, 05:45 PM
I have been very happy with my Yamaha RX-V2095 for more than a year now but I have had this lingering problem with my Jamo centre speaker. I have used the Jamo with a Yamaha RX-V596 before and it is very crisp and detail in its sound reproduction. But when I hooked it up with my 2095, I couldnt get the same crispness and detail. I have not tried the 2095 with other center before so I do not know if this is Yamaha's fault or what.

What is the solution for this? If possible I would like to keep the 12 year old Jamo because it has been so good to me and it performed flawlessly until with the 2095. The only reason I could think of is that the 2095 may be selective of center speakers to use. But I highly doubt that. I am not an audiophile or an expert so I do not know what would be the appropriate steps to take. I have tweaked the setting to no end and position the speaker everywhere but I still couldnt get the cripiness and detail that I want in a center speaker.

Ultimately, I may have to replace the Jamo and buy another center speaker. I would like some recommendations on which one sounds good with the yamaha rxv-2095. My budget for the center is U$500.00. Currently, I have a JBL E100 front, JBL front effects, JBL subs, and bose 301 rear. What I like is a clear, crisp and very detailed center dialogue. I do not need it to sound bassy just the mid and high frequencies.

TIA.

Someone wrote a piece about this.

https://www.thedebuguy.com/blog/zkje5z0tjqj4ali1j42xfew05abk8w