Flash: Echolyn Is NOT Canadian [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Flash: Echolyn Is NOT Canadian

BarryL
02-09-2006, 09:51 AM
I don't know who starts these rumours. The boys are Pennsyvania-based. Their parents were steel farmers.

richmon
02-09-2006, 10:18 AM
I started the mis information. I'd seen references to they're being Canadian and didn't verify.
Most reviews correctly say they're from Pennsylvania.

I first heard of them around 1995 while waiting in line for a King Crimson concert in Phila. The band members were handing out a postcard advertising there recently released 'As the world' that proclamed they were resurecting Yes, Gentle Giant et al. Not likely that canadians would travel to Philly just to hand out a couple hundred handbills eh?

Wouldn't want you to be giving out faulty info on the airwaves, that job's been taken by Rush Limbaugh.

BarryL
02-09-2006, 10:29 AM
As The World is a great album. I recently bought the remastered reissue which comes with a DVD of them playing in some small club somewhere.

I haven't heard their latest stuff, but Troy gives them good marks.

They play great music but they look really geeky. Oh yeah, it's prog.

Troy
02-09-2006, 10:31 AM
I haven't heard their latest stuff, but Troy gives them good marks.

Echolyns "The End is Beautiful" is my favorite album from 2005.

I can pretty much guarantee that you'll love it. And "Cowboy poems Free", you'd love that too.

Their later albums are less note-y and syncopated than "As the World". It's just great songwriting.

Dusty Chalk
02-09-2006, 10:06 PM
I recently bought the remastered reissue which comes with a DVD of them playing in some small club somewhere.Oh, please tell me it was the Bayou in Georgetown (DC). I was at that show. And it was just before As The World came out (or just after).

BarryL
02-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Oh, please tell me it was the Bayou in Georgetown (DC). I was at that show. And it was just before As The World came out (or just after).

The quickest way to find out is to go to their website.

I'll take a look at home over the weekend if I remember to do so.

Dusty Chalk
02-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Okay, it was in Michigan at the Ritz, but still...was probably a very similar show, and (in my mind) at their peak. I'm going to have to (eventually) get this.

PS I was pretty sure they were local-ish (as are GvsB and Trans Am), because they used to tour by here all the time.