Problems with center/surround sound.. (novice) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Problems with center/surround sound.. (novice)

jeffrok
01-20-2004, 08:53 PM
Here's the deal..

I have a Yamaha RXV-540 receiver and have had it for about 1 year..

About a month ago, I started having trouble with the center channel speaker sound. Instead of coming out of the front center speaker, it was coming out of one of three places: nowhere, the right rear, or both the right rear and the left rear.. Note that this only happens about 50-75% of the time, not ALL the time.. Sometimes to remedy the problem I play around with either some of the analog-in cables or the digital coax-in cable.. It's WEIRD.

I took it to the place that I bought it from, that has their own in house service department, and the last two times I brought it to them, they claim they could not duplicate the problem I was describing.

After the past two times in service I thought maybe my speaker wires were touching each other inside the receiver, causing cross-noise (or whatever it's called when two cables interfere with each other), so I bought monster quick-lock FlexiPin connectors, for a more solid connection. I still got the same problem.

I even disconnected all cables except the power, the center, and the two rears, and still, the sound test was still sending the center channel sound to the rear right!

I'm about to tell this store that they can keep their receiver, and please give me another one. Before I do so, I want to know if anyone has any suggestions..

Thanks.

uncooked
01-20-2004, 09:56 PM
personnaly if that happend to me i wouldnt want the receiver. i would take it back if you can. bacuase if thats faulty other things might be as well your not aware of. usually there is.

Worf101
01-21-2004, 07:35 AM
TAKE IT BACK!!!!!

Do this before the warranty runs out. Do it now, bring all your documentation with you and do it quick. The only other thing you might check is to make sure you've your wiring done right, but in rereading your post you should be straight there. No replace the unit and do it now.

Da Worfster

jeffrok
01-21-2004, 09:43 AM
TAKE IT BACK!!!!!

Do this before the warranty runs out. Do it now, bring all your documentation with you and do it quick. The only other thing you might check is to make sure you've your wiring done right, but in rereading your post you should be straight there. No replace the unit and do it now.

Da Worfster

Luckily I bought the extended warranty, so if after 4 times in service, they pretty much HAVE TO replace it.. I just hope they don't say "Well we didn't find a problem the last two times you had it in for repair so those two times don't count." I'm tired of this piece of junk.. Don't get me wrong, I love my Yamaha receiver when it's working, I just can't stand incompetent service technicians!