Any Classical Music Fans [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any Classical Music Fans

EdwardGein
02-08-2006, 03:21 PM
If there are any classical music fans here,as I'm not a fan but do like some things, I was wondering if anyone can recommend to me the best sounding CD or DVD-A versions of Holsts the Planets (I don't have SACD's). If you have more then one recommendation feel free to include that. Has there ever been a rock or jazz version of the entire Planets & if so who has done that? I know individual pieces of The Planets have been recorded such as Manfred Mann's Earthband's Joybringer (Jupitor) which was a small hit in the 70's. If anyone can provide me links as well to any Classic Music forums, I'd appreciate it.

topspeed
02-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Good post, I'd like some opinions on this one as well (including SACD, if you don't mind). TAS, which does review a lot of music, loved the JVC XRCD copy. (http://www.xrcd.net/shopping/shopexd.asp?ccode=JVCXR-0228) This will play on a regular cdp, too.

I'm trying to decide on the XRCD or SACD, and which one as well.

E-Stat
02-08-2006, 03:56 PM
If there are any classical music fans here,as I'm not a fan but do like some things, I was wondering if anyone can recommend to me the best sounding CD or DVD-A versions of Holsts the Planets (I don't have SACD's).
The Planets has long been one of my favorites. I have two versions: Andre Previn with the London Philharmonic on Telarc and Eugene Ormandy with the Philadelphia Symphony on RCA. While the later Telarc is arguably a better sounding recording, my heart goes to the Ormandy version. Since I had thoroughly worn out my vinyl copy, I found the CD version on Amazon.

I'm not aware of any rock versions, although I was introduced to Copland, Moussorksky, and Ginastera through Emerson, Lake, and Palmer back in the 70s when I started this journey.

Happy listening!

rw

BradH
02-08-2006, 05:12 PM
The only cd of The Planets I have is the Montreal Symphony Orchestra under Charles Dutoit on the London label which got wild reviews for sound and performance in the press and the Penguin guide.

I've never heard an entire rock version of The Planets (thank GOD!!) but it seems like Mars has been done by a lot of people, King Crimson, Jimmy Page in his Zep concert solos, I've heard it pop up in more places than I can remember.

The most famous non-traditional rendition of The Planets is by Japanese synthesizer artist Isao Tomita.

Davey
02-08-2006, 05:39 PM
I've never heard an entire rock version of The Planets (thank GOD!!) but it seems like Mars has been done by a lot of people, King Crimson
And didn't Emerson, Lake and the guy after Palmer do a pretty amazing version too? Pretty sure I've heard it, although I don't have any ELP beyond the first Works.

I have a really good sounding version of the Planets but can't remember which one. I'll check tonight.

BradH
02-08-2006, 06:08 PM
And didn't Emerson, Lake and the guy after Palmer do a pretty amazing version too? Pretty sure I've heard it, although I don't have any ELP beyond the first Works.

Oh yeah, Cozy Powell, I forgot about that. I saw them do that live and I still don't remember what it sounded like. That show was really depressing.

Funny, but I think one of the most successful uses of classical music in rock was the James Gang doing a bit of Bolero - then they go into that Vince Guaraldi thing. That was one seriously underrated band, overall.

Dave_G
02-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Yes's Magnification melds the LSO with Yes music and I think it smokes. Most Yes fans despise the record but I think it is brilliant. I have loved symphonic music since I was a kid, and Yes pulled off a good one here.

Also very good is Rick Wakemans Return to the Centre of the Earth.

I find rock music more and more frustrating as I get older, as the new bands just re-hash the old school stuff but in a ****ty way.

To me the quality rock stuff out there these days is getting less and less, with the exception of some great UK based prog outfits, what else is there worth a crap?

Dave

BradH
02-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Yes's Magnification melds the LSO with Yes music and I think it smokes. Most Yes fans despise the record but I think it is brilliant. I have loved symphonic music since I was a kid, and Yes pulled off a good one here.

I for one like that album. "Don't Go" should've been a hit. And, frankly, The Ladder sounds better and better as time goes on. But they'd better kick it old school a la Keys next time. (If there is a next time, which ain't looking good with the Asia reunion next year.)

Also very good is Rick Wakemans Return to the Centre of the Earth.

I can't get past the vocals. I don't mind Jack Bruce but did everybody have to sing like that? I'll take Fish Out Of Water, thank you. (Speaking of rock w/ an orchestra...)

I find rock music more and more frustrating as I get older, as the new bands just re-hash the old school stuff but in a ****ty way.

I'm not wild about younger prog bands, personally. Seems like they overproduce the living hell out of everything and make it too smooth.

To me the quality rock stuff out there these days is getting less and less, with the exception of some great UK based prog outfits, what else is there worth a crap?

There are a lot of good bands and musicians out there but what I don't here are people taking bold chances and pushing things in new directions like they used to. I don't care if it's PTree or Green Day, it's been done.

bjornb17
02-08-2006, 09:09 PM
I am, mostly towards piano though. I play the piano myself so i listen extensively to some things that I learn to play. As my avatar suggest, Alfred Brendel is my favorite. I especially like his Schubert interpretations.

Pat D
02-09-2006, 05:53 PM
If there are any classical music fans here,as I'm not a fan but do like some things, I was wondering if anyone can recommend to me the best sounding CD or DVD-A versions of Holsts the Planets (I don't have SACD's). If you have more then one recommendation feel free to include that. Has there ever been a rock or jazz version of the entire Planets & if so who has done that? I know individual pieces of The Planets have been recorded such as Manfred Mann's Earthband's Joybringer (Jupitor) which was a small hit in the 70's. If anyone can provide me links as well to any Classic Music forums, I'd appreciate it.I'm a classics fan but I never warmed up that much to The Planets. Dutoit/MSO on London is very well done; Zubin Mehta's recording is well-liked by many (especially on LP); and I have a very fine version with von Karajan on lP. There is relatively new recording with David Lloyd-Jones and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra which has an addition for "Pluto: The Renewer" by Colin Matthews (Pluto hadn't been discovered when Holst composed The Planets) on Naxos 8.555776. It's quite good--now that another possible Planet, "Sedna," has possibly been discovered, perhaps some possible composer will possibly compose another 'Planet' to possibly add on to the piece.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3511678.stm

Mussorgsky (arranged by Ravel), "Pictures at an Exhibition;" Rimsky-Korsakoff, "Scheherezade," and Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite" contain a lot of spectacular orchestral music, too. Also, Dukas' "The Sorceror's Apprentice." Then, there are always overtures by Mozart, Beethoven, Rossini, Berlioz, Auber, Suppe, and Wagner.

There are some people here who know a fair amount about classical music even though their main interests may lie elsewhere. There are some knowledgeable classical fans at MyAsylum but some can be a bit snarky to newcomers and request that they do a search of the forum:

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/music/bbs.html

Dusty Chalk
02-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Yeah, I'd love to hear more about classical music...I might have to actually head over to Audioholics Anonymous.

Oh, and in answer to your question -- I have a "DAD" (DVD-V utilizing the 24/96 audio capability) of Holst, but I'm not particularly fond of it (pacing seems off). I think it's on Chesky, but it might be on ClassicRecs.com