New Binding Posts for Magneplanar Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Binding Posts for Magneplanar Speakers

squeegy200
02-08-2006, 10:27 AM
I've recently acquired a set of Magneplanars that I really enjoy. However, one item of concern is the way Magnepan designs their speaker connections.

My speakers have the banana style sockets. According to the different user groups, it is agreed that these are not of the highest quality. But my concern is in addition to better connectivity. I am afraid that the banana plugs I've see available are not fully secure and with little disturbance, can work one or more leads out creating the potential for a short and equipment damage.

I've never opened up the speakers, but I want to explore at least replacing these with higher quality and more secure conventional binding posts.

My questions are:
1. Is this complex for someone with average electronics kit building experience?
2. What are some recommended binding posts? There are so many.

Thanks in advance

squeegy200
02-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Answered my own question. After reading similar posts on the Internet, I disassembled the back plate and discovered how easy it was to replace the banana plug sockets with high quality binding posts.

Thanks

GMichael
02-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Oh, do share. Where did you find that?

Geoffcin
02-09-2006, 03:18 PM
Answered my own question. After reading similar posts on the Internet, I disassembled the back plate and discovered how easy it was to replace the banana plug sockets with high quality binding posts.

Thanks

They didn't cost too much. The original connectors work well with bare wire too.

the hand of boredom
02-15-2006, 07:59 AM
They didn't cost too much. The original connectors work well with bare wire too.

Can either of the MMG, 12, or 1.6 come in a bi-wire version?

THOB