B&W DM604 S3 questions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W DM604 S3 questions

venkman
02-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Ijust bought the B&W DM604 S3 and I opened them up to find the color of the metal around the woofer to be black unlike the picture on the web which has them as silver. I was wondering if anyone who owns these in black has the same color as me or the silver ones. I like the silver one's better and the guy at the store has no idea why they are different than the internet pic as well as the pic in the brochure.

calegrant
02-07-2006, 11:15 PM
I've got some 600 series towers as well, and the woofer surround is silver. Not too sure why your's would be black. If it's a big deal to you, any decent audio place would be willing to set you up with a pair that are silver. If they make a big deal out of it, go somewhere else, you don't want to have to deal with people like that in the future when something goes wrong.

venkman
02-08-2006, 02:03 PM
is it a bright silver like in the online picture or is it more of a dark grey color? Is there anyway you could send me a picture so I could prove to them it exists? Thanks for the response.

calegrant
02-08-2006, 02:47 PM
It looks just like the ones online. Does your shop not believe you that they come in silver?

wgriel
02-08-2006, 04:28 PM
I've got some 603 towers (and some 600 bookshelves) and they all have a silver metal ring around midrange and woofers (well, no woofer on the 600's but the ring around the mid is silver). It's not a polished silver though, it's got a kind of textured surface.

When I was shopping I also did look at the 604s and those that I saw had the identical metal ring.

Bill

venkman
02-09-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah the guy at the store said the pic online was from a prototype and that the bright silver wasn't available with the black. Is there a way to post pics? I guess I am over it though. After listening to em I forget what they look like.

wgriel
02-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey Venkman - I think I owe you an apology - I just realized that I misread your post: I've got 603's in the sorrento finish and they, of course, have a silver ring around the drivers.

But I also have 600s in black - they are mounted in an awkward spot, but looking more closely at them I can see that the ring around the mid *is* darker. I don't know that I'd call it black, but it's definitely not the silver that the sorrento finish speakers have.

Looking at B&Ws "600 Series 3" brochure I can see that the black finish speakers do have a darker ring - I bet your dealer was right about the web photos.

So, nothing left to do but enjoy your 604s!

Cheers,

Bill