Want to buy great speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy great speakers

A Reef Scene
02-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Where is a few sites to buy great speakers for a diy center speaker?

kexodusc
02-08-2006, 04:30 AM
I might be able to help, but could you be a bit more specific in what you're looking for? Just a center speaker, a whole Home Theater project? Budget for this?
Can you build your own cabinets or would you like pre-fab speaker cabinets too?

A Reef Scene
02-08-2006, 05:25 AM
I can build the center, but for a first try a prefab might be better. If there was a kit with the cross over and a set of great speakers that would be just what I need

kexodusc
02-08-2006, 05:50 AM
Well, there's lots of kits out there. Most DIY-ers I know don't bother with the typical woofer-tweeter-woofer center channel speaker. There's good reasons for this. That alignment isn't the greatest when placed sideways on a tv... instead they just build a 5th matching speaker for the center channel. Saves you some money.

What's your budget?

A Reef Scene
02-08-2006, 06:12 AM
I was looking to spend about 500.00 on a center from an audio store. So anything less is good. And half of that would be the best.

kexodusc
02-08-2006, 06:42 AM
Do you already have main speakers, are you planning on adding main speakers later...ideally your center channel will match those.
There's lots of good kits and designs available from:
www.madisound.com
www.partsexpress.com

The AR.com kit by Ed Frias designed for this website is pretty good. one would cost you about $170 or so plus shipping costs from Madisound.

MCH
02-08-2006, 08:15 AM
If you have a CRT based TV make sure you get shielded drivers for the center channel. For Ed's design I substituted shielded drivers that were very similar in specs to the ones he called for and it worked out well. If you want the driver part numbers you'll have to do search on this site for the pics and info of my Center Channel build.

Edit: Did the search and here are the Peerless part numbers for those drivers:
The woofer is 831975 (Peerless number) and the tweeter is 811978

A Reef Scene
02-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm going to start the speaker soon. And will post pics for the progress