Ummmm...Isn't it Tuesday? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ummmm...Isn't it Tuesday?

Mr MidFi
02-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Chime in. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

New to me:
Yes - Relayer
Not necessarily my first choice in Yes albums, but I sense this is 'grower' material. Especially the oft-mentioned Gates of Delerium. And hey, for $2.97, who can say no?

Doves - Some Cities
First couple of listens...meh. But after that, growing by leaps and bounds. Me likey. Anyone else have this experience with it?

Also spun:
Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights
Wilco - Kicking Television (disc 1)
The Bravery
My Morning Jacket - Z
Dire Straits - Making Movies
Beth Orton - Daybreaker
Santana - Abraxas
Stevie Ray Vaughn compilation
PT - Deadwing

That's most of what I can remember. How 'bout you?

ForeverAutumn
02-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Tuesday...indeed, indeed.

Luke Doucet - Broken - Yes, I'm still spinning this one.
Hot Hot Heat - Elevator - Hmmm, even my husband likes this one and he doesn't like much of what I listen to these days. :(
Ray LaMontagne - Trouble
Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlanticism

There's some other stuff that I can't think of right now and I don't have time to sit around trying to remember or I'm going to be late for Curling!

That's right. I'm a proud Canadian and I actually go Curling. :cool:

BradH
02-07-2006, 04:38 PM
XTC - B&L Warehouse, Athens, GA - April 24, 1981
Rory Gallagher - Live In Europe
Rory Gallagher - Stagestruck
Captain Beyond - Sufficiently Breathless
Focus - Moving Waves
Focus - Focus III
Hawkwind - In Search Of Space
Zappa - We're Only In It For The Money (MoFi)
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer (MoFi)
ZZ Top - Deguello
Jethro Tull - Living In The Past (MoFi)
Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs (MoFi)
The Syn - Somerville, MA - January 19, 2006

Troy
02-07-2006, 04:41 PM
This is this afternoon's shuffle. The last track is playing right now.

Is it annoying to paste this file in here? too big for ya?

Too bad, eh?

http://www.designshed.com/tuesday.jpg

BradH
02-07-2006, 04:52 PM
too big for ya?

Too bad, eh?

Typical male pig.

Haven't heard "Pressure On Julian" in ages. Makes me nostalgic for the mid-90's. Might have to spin Rubbish tonight.

Dave_G
02-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Neal Morse - ?

Wall of Voodoo - Dark Continent (thanks Poontang Paiva)

The Call - Reconciled - awesome!

Steely Dan - Gaucho. Good rekkid for sure.

Stan Ridgway - Anatomy. Another great piece of toonage.

Kerry Livgren - One of several possible musics - a instrumental work, kind of weird, ok, not my fave KL by any stretch.

Gary Numan - The Skin Mechanic - vinyl - pretty good stuff on IRS vinyl.

A bootleg cdr of Rush. Actually very very good.

U2 Zoo TV bootleg, also good quality, pretty good.

Just got in the mail today a sealed lp copy of Split Enz - Time and Tide. Yummy.

Regards,

Dave

Davey
02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Yummmm, just got home from work and popped the top on a bottle of Anchor Steam. Now that's what I'm talking about! Good beer. Fired up the stereo and got some exotic sounds of Voyager One lighting up the night air. Guess the rest is in my signature. Kind of a pitiful Tunesday turnout today Mr MidFi. Might be past time to change those deodorant pads? Don't they say 3 months or 3000 miles?

ForeverAutumn
02-07-2006, 07:15 PM
Heavy Rotation:
Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3 - ...tick...tick...tick
The Fiery Furnaces - Gallowsbird's Bark
Luke Doucet - Broken (and other rogue states)
Voyager One - Dissolver
Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow

Glad to see Luke on your heavy rotation list. Everyone should hear this album. I wonder what Mr. Swishy will think of it...a complimentary copy went out to him too as a little favour for introducing me to Ray LaMontagne a while back.

Hyfi
02-07-2006, 07:50 PM
XTC - B&L Warehouse, Athens, GA - April 24, 1981
Rory Gallagher - Live In Europe
Rory Gallagher - Stagestruck
Focus - Moving Waves
Focus - Focus III
Hawkwind - In Search Of Space
Zappa - We're Only In It For The Money (MoFi)
Muddy Waters - Folk Singer (MoFi)
ZZ Top - Deguello
Jethro Tull - Living In The Past (MoFi)
Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs (MoFi)
The Syn - Somerville, MA - January 19, 2006

Nice list! Not too many Focus fans around anymore. They have such a unique sound with way more passion, feeling and talent than mos recent years. The rest is up my alley also.

Davey
02-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Glad to see Luke on your heavy rotation list. Everyone should hear this album.
Yeah, my kind of guy. I think every song revolves around drinking ;)

opt80
02-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Damon & Naomi ~ More Sad Songs

Walt Wilkins ~ Fire,Honey & Angels

Jackson Browne ~ Solo Acoustic Vol 1

And thanks to you all for the introduction to The Silver Jews ~ Tanglewood Numbers

Even Ponys get Depressed

Alan

Mike
02-08-2006, 02:25 AM
Lou Rhodes - Beloved One
Debut solo album from the lead singer of Lamb heavy on the acoustics and with a folky feel, very nice album.

The Strokes - First Impressions Of Earth, liking this a lot
Cat Power - The Greatest
Broken Social Scene - Bee Hives

Cheers
Mike

BradH
02-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Nice list! Not too many Focus fans around anymore. They have such a unique sound with way more passion, feeling and talent than mos recent years. The rest is up my alley also.

I really like Focus III a lot. Sort of a proggy fusion jam band feel with a lot more grit than, say, Gong or Van Der Graaf Generator. These were remastered by the original producer too. They sound good.

BarryL
02-08-2006, 07:36 AM

I was listening to Hamberger Concerto from 1974 just last week. Not a bad effort. The first two minutes of the 20+ minute Concerto sounds like The Flower Kings, believe it or not (or at least Stolt on guitar).

richmon
02-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Nice list! Not too many Focus fans around anymore. They have such a unique sound with way more passion, feeling and talent than mos recent years.

The band Finch has a similar sound, try 'Glory of the inner force', or drop me a pm and I'll toast ya a sampler.

I was skiing in Colorado all last week so I watered down my playlist for consumption of our diverse group ....
Best of the Birds
Best of the Pretenders
Crosby, Stills Nash & Young 'So Far'
Neil Young 'Prarie Wind'
Jethro Tull 'Benefit'
ELO's greatest hits
Yes 'the Yes album'
Tom Petty 'Full Moon Fever'
Black Sabbath 'Paranoid'
Joe Bonnemassa 'so its like that'
Allman Brothers 'A decade of hits'
Toad the Wet sprocket 'handmade best of' -excellant band with a terrible name.Copies gladly furnished, just shoot a pm.
Anathema 'a fine day to exit'
Also bought some tunes in Colo- Bunny Wailers 'blackheart man', Isreal Vibration 'same song' and JTull's 'Stand up' - hey it's better than picking up T-Shirts.

BarryL
02-08-2006, 07:42 AM
This is this afternoon's shuffle. The last track is playing right now.

Is it annoying to paste this file in here? too big for ya?

Too bad, eh?

Cut and paste. Sheesh.

BarryL
02-08-2006, 07:47 AM
The tangent - A Place In The Queue
Sensational Alex Harvey Band - The Impossible Dream
Hatfield And The North - s/t
Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets
Proto-Kaw - The Wait of Glory

The Tangent and Proto-Kaw just arrived, so I don't have an opinion yet.

Mr MidFi
02-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Kind of a pitiful Tunesday turnout today Mr MidFi. Might be past time to change those deodorant pads? Don't they say 3 months or 3000 miles?

Hey, I rotate those puppies out of there every two weeks, whether they need it or not!

NP: "Hangin On the Telephone" from Blondie Live

Hyfi
02-08-2006, 09:13 AM
I really like Focus III a lot. Sort of a proggy fusion jam band feel with a lot more grit than, say, Gong or Van Der Graaf Generator. These were remastered by the original producer too. They sound good.

My fav was allways Dutchmasters. A few years ago there was a dude from Holland that I traded comps with here. He made me a Focus comp (minus Hocus Pocus at my request) from all scandanavian released material and remasters. Pretty cool, a comp of a band from Holland right from Holland.

I'd be happy to share it with anyone.

Hyfi

Mike
02-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Yeah, my kind of guy. I think every song revolves around drinking ;)

Hey just been listening to some samples since you two have been talking about him recently and that album sounds very nice, similar to Joe Henry in parts (but a happier Joe Henry!) Chalk that one up for the wishlist

Cheers
Mike

3-LockBox
02-08-2006, 09:59 AM

One of my desert island discs. An overlooked gem. I think I'll go whip it out (the CD).

Davey
02-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Hey just been listening to some samples since you two have been talking about him recently and that album sounds very nice, similar to Joe Henry in parts (but a happier Joe Henry!) Chalk that one up for the wishlist

Cheers
Mike
Yeah, it is a nice album. I'm not quite as enamored as FA, but I tend to prefer a bit more eclecticism in the lyrical themes, and Luke doesn't really get very freaky. And sometimes the themes and lyrics get a bit repetitious, which is a drawback as the music is quite diverse. And some of the songs do sound a little too happy for the broken hearted lyrical theme and the depth that is present in the opening two songs. But overall, quality music from a talented guy. Not at the Joe Henry level for me, but Joe's always occupied a special place because the music and the lyrics take me to new places. Luke takes me to places I've mostly already been to before, but he does it very well. Different places and styles.

Davey
02-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Hey, I rotate those puppies out of there every two weeks, whether they need it or not!
See, that might just be the problem. Rotating them from pit to pit isn't gonna cut it! But it looks like I spoke too soon anyway. You got some good Tunesday action this week afterall Mr MidFi. Just a slow starter.

ForeverAutumn
02-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Yeah, it is a nice album. I'm not quite as enamored as FA

Hey just been listening to some samples since you two have been talking about him recently and that album sounds very nice, similar to Joe Henry in parts (but a happier Joe Henry!) Chalk that one up for the wishlist.

Maybe I'd be less enamored if I had heard some Joe Henry to compare it to. Mike, check your PMs. :)

Davey
02-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Maybe I'd be less enamored if I had heard some Joe Henry to compare it to.
Hehehe, well ya know, that's just a personal observation. You may not like him nearly as much as I do. Not many people do ;)

Our long lost young buddy Rae did one of the coolest reviews of his Scar album that I had the good fortune of reading. He's got a way ... http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EEA8C9F.php

That one has some jazz feel that you may not like that much. Fuse is probably the best overall to get a taste. He's been featured on a lot of comps around here, but most of them were probably flying around before your time. Mike's a pretty big fan so you guys can probably work something out. He didn't come to my mind listening to Luke, but now that Mike mentioned it, maybe he's right. Different music style though. He's got more of a Gram Parsons influence in his music, but as of the last few years, he's moved into some pretty novel territory, mashing his country roots with jazz and pop and soul and rock in ways that aren't often done nearly so well. He's become an accomplished producer along the way too.

Rodeo Bob on Fuse (http://www.nudeasthenews.com/reviews/18)

Davey and friends on Tiny Voices (http://archive.audioreview.com/10/0EF9F6DF.php)