Recommendations on a A/V receiver... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on a A/V receiver...

sektor
02-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Hello everyone.

Being new to the Home Theater world, I was hoping to get some recommendations on a A/V receiver for my setup. I just moved into a new home and I purchased a Home Theater package for a extremely good price. My setup is as follows:

(4)Klipsch RC2650C 6.5" (ceiling mounted)
(1)Klipsch RC-8 Subwoofer
(1)Klipsch RC-10 Center Channel
Number of Channels = 6

The ceiling mounted speakers can handle about 85 watts max continious. The Center channel can do the same. Sub has a built in amplifier.

Anyone have recommendations on a receiver? I was looking at the Denon 2106 model, as it has 100watts per channel.

The only upgrade I might do, is the center channel to something a little bigger.

Anyone have recommendations here? I greatly appreciate it.

sektor

paul_pci
02-07-2006, 12:01 PM
First you want to settle on a budget for the max you're willing to pay for an A/V receiver, also considering whether this would be a "for now" purchase or a "forever" purchase. Then you want to peruse the usual suspects: Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo, etc. As you peruse the approriate models (ignoring the watts ratings) consider the different features each offers and match them to your needs and desires and go from there. And always buy from an authorized dealer.

sektor
02-07-2006, 12:16 PM
First you want to settle on a budget for the max you're willing to pay for an A/V receiver, also considering whether this would be a "for now" purchase or a "forever" purchase. Then you want to peruse the usual suspects: Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo, etc. As you peruse the approriate models (ignoring the watts ratings) consider the different features each offers and match them to your needs and desires and go from there. And always buy from an authorized dealer.

Appreciate it. Gives me some itmes to look into.

Any particular brand you like? I'm thinking this receiver will be used for now (5 years minimum).

I've read up on the Yamaha and Denon quite a bit. 6 Channels currently, but might upgrade the sub and center channel down the road.

Any AV brand/model you particular like?

EdwardGein
02-07-2006, 01:20 PM
You can get the Denon 3801 Used in very good to excellent condition on Ebay for $375-450 including shipping complete with Manual & Receiver I'd get that

sektor
02-07-2006, 01:36 PM
You can get the Denon 3801 Used in very good to excellent condition on Ebay for $375-450 including shipping complete with Manual & Receiver I'd get that

Prefer to buy new (just me :) ).

What about a Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver?
I'm looking at that one or a Denon 2106.

I guess one question I have is that what would I need to buy (specs, features etc.) to ensure I get awesome quality on my movies?

Obviously, speakers are important and from what i've read, I have very good speakers. I also learned from this site that having good power (100watts min.) is a necessity as well.

I can be quite a stickler on sound items (its the damn good hearing I have), so I can usually pick out things pretty good. That is why im trying to do as much research as I can before I buy.

Hope that helps.

sektor
02-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Oh ya, what about Harmon Kardon receivers? I've read a few things on them and they sound very promising.

The one I saw had 50watts per channel, but it is not entirely correct as far as pure power.

Are there websites out there that have lots of reviews of the different receivers?

Thanks!

L.J.
02-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Well in the price range your looking at, you really cant wrong with any of the brands mentioned by Paul pci. Your best bet is to try some of these babies out, and go with what you like.

GMichael
02-07-2006, 01:53 PM
The Yammie and the Denon will sound very close. Look at the options each have and see what you may want. Take a look at the remotes to see which one seems right for you. But don't forget to go listen to make sure.

Both of the units you picked out will give you many years of happy listening. Take a look at HK and Onkyo as well. You can see the HK and Onkyo at Circut City. The Yammie can be seen at Best Buy (but it will be the HTR-5870 or 5880) It should list the same at $649.95. I think they have Pioneer and Denon too.

sektor
02-07-2006, 02:09 PM
The Yammie and the Denon will sound very close. Look at the options each have and see what you may want. Take a look at the remotes to see which one seems right for you. But don't forget to go listen to make sure.

Both of the units you picked out will give you many years of happy listening. Take a look at HK and Onkyo as well. You can see the HK and Onkyo at Circut City. The Yammie can be seen at Best Buy (but it will be the HTR-5870 or 5880) It should list the same at $649.95. I think they have Pioneer and Denon too.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check it out.

I just started poking around the HK receivers and they sound very cool. The watts thing is different (50-55watts on the two im looking at), but everyone says its good, clean power, with amazing sound and it rocks.

In a nutshell, I probably can't go wrong if I went with one of the following:

Denon 2106
Yamaha RX-V757
Hardan Kardon AVR240/340

Thanks for all the help.

GMichael
02-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info. I will definitely check it out.

I just started poking around the HK receivers and they sound very cool. The watts thing is different (50-55watts on the two im looking at), but everyone says its good, clean power, with amazing sound and it rocks.

In a nutshell, I probably can't go wrong if I went with one of the following:

Denon 2106
Yamaha RX-V757
Hardan Kardon AVR240/340

Thanks for all the help.

True. The HK's usually put out a bit more than what they rate them at.
The Yamaha, Denon's, Onkyos & Pioneers will put out a little less than what they are rated at.
So they end up being almost the same.

Jim Clark
02-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Well, you asked for opinions...

Those are some pretty fancy in-ceiling speakers. Without going into detail as to my impressions of them, I think people are leading you to more expensive receivers than necessary to get the most out of these speakers. Honestly I'd seriously consider one of the digital amp receiver products from either Panasonic or Kenwood. Since these are carried by stores with liberal return policies you wouldn't be risking anything. I'd pretty much bet that in a blind listening test that you wouldn't be able to discern any difference in SQ and perhaps even prefer the all digital designs. These typically sell for about 250.00 and both brands garner some impressive reviews. I usually don't jump on the band wagon for either of these companies but for your situation I think it may be an excellent choice.

FWIW, I wouldn't buy an HK product on a dare. Too many QC issues, not that I've experienced them first hand. I've read way too many posts at AVS forums of owners with issues to have any faith in the products they offer. This is fairly typical of HK over the past several years. You may end up being one of the lucky ones though.

Good luck,
jc

GMichael
02-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Oh ya, what about Harmon Kardon receivers? I've read a few things on them and they sound very promising.

The one I saw had 50watts per channel, but it is not entirely correct as far as pure power.

Are there websites out there that have lots of reviews of the different receivers?

Thanks!

You're on one. Reveiews are near the top, 3rd from the left.

sektor
02-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Thanks for all the replys everyone. I appreciate it very much.

Still have a lot to learn and decide, but im learning.

I'll poke around some more, see what I can find. I definitely need to get to a store and check them out for myself.

Looks like the models im looking at, can't really go wrong. :)

paul_pci
02-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Well, you asked for opinions...

Those are some pretty fancy in-ceiling speakers. Without going into detail as to my impressions of them, I think people are leading you to more expensive receivers than necessary to get the most out of these speakers. Honestly I'd seriously consider one of the digital amp receiver products from either Panasonic or Kenwood. Since these are carried by stores with liberal return policies you wouldn't be risking anything. I'd pretty much bet that in a blind listening test that you wouldn't be able to discern any difference in SQ and perhaps even prefer the all digital designs. These typically sell for about 250.00 and both brands garner some impressive reviews. I usually don't jump on the band wagon for either of these companies but for your situation I think it may be an excellent choice.

FWIW, I wouldn't buy an HK product on a dare. Too many QC issues, not that I've experienced them first hand. I've read way too many posts at AVS forums of owners with issues to have any faith in the products they offer. This is fairly typical of HK over the past several years. You may end up being one of the lucky ones though.

Good luck,
jc

That's why I started with the idea of how long he'd own the product for. If it's for now, then something more entry level will suffice with those speakers, but if he wishes to hold onto a receiver for a long time, intending to perhaps upgrade speakers in the future, then a model higher up the price chain should be considered.

sektor
02-07-2006, 02:53 PM
That's why I started with the idea of how long he'd own the product for. If it's for now, then something more entry level will suffice with those speakers, but if he wishes to hold onto a receiver for a long time, intending to perhaps upgrade speakers in the future, then a model higher up the price chain should be considered.

Good points.

I will say this: I think my current setup is not going to change. If anything changes, it would be the center channel. I think everything is else setup and good to go.

I plan on living in the house for about 5 years, then moving out of Southern California.
In my next place, I plan on going all out. :)

But for now, ya, it is really just to get my going with my speakers (they are all wired and ready to go...just need the receiver). Like I said, I like cleaness, quality and good power, but not overwhelming power. I want to be able to play a DVD, watch the movie with the system and then step back and go "Wow. That was freakin awesome!".

Thanks again for everyones help.

Cheers,

Sektor

EdwardGein
02-07-2006, 04:23 PM
If you have the money more power to you but if you don't your better off getting a used $1300 one for $400 then getting it new for $1300. Same exact performance. Anyway, don't buy any Denon below the 3000 series.

L.J.
02-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Anyway, don't buy any Denon below the 3000 series.

Why is that?

kexodusc
02-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Geez, a $1300 receiver today is far superior to one from 4 years ago, not the same performance at all...
Nothing wrong with any of the 2XXX or 1XXX receivers Denon makes either...

sektor
02-07-2006, 05:48 PM
What about the Pioneer VSX-1015TX?

Seemed to have good reviews. Missing some features (but I don't think I really need them).

Sounds like it gives great, clear, powerful, yet crisp sound.

Anyone know much about it?

paul_pci
02-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Good points.

I will say this: I think my current setup is not going to change. If anything changes, it would be the center channel. I think everything is else setup and good to go.

I plan on living in the house for about 5 years, then moving out of Southern California.
In my next place, I plan on going all out. :)

But for now, ya, it is really just to get my going with my speakers (they are all wired and ready to go...just need the receiver). Like I said, I like cleaness, quality and good power, but not overwhelming power. I want to be able to play a DVD, watch the movie with the system and then step back and go "Wow. That was freakin awesome!".

Thanks again for everyones help.

Cheers,

Sektor

What are you talking about? Southern California rules! Man, I'd buy a Sony receiver before I'd move from SoCal. You can even ask Ed Gein of the many wonderful cemteries in and around LA; of course now, he mostly body snatches from eBay.

sektor
02-07-2006, 06:12 PM
What are you talking about? Southern California rules! Man, I'd buy a Sony receiver before I'd move from SoCal. You can even ask Ed Gein of the many wonderful cemteries in and around LA; of course now, he mostly body snatches from eBay.

Pretty much lived in San Diego all my life. Going to cash out and retire in the next couple of years and move (for a lot of reasons). Plus, I can then get my next house and build the ultimate home theater from the ground up!.

EdwardGein
02-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Geez, a $1300 receiver today is far superior to one from 4 years ago, not the same performance at all...Nothing wrong with any of the 2XXX or 1XXX receivers Denon makes either...

Totally don't agree with you on this. Not the Denon part, really. There's nothing wrong with the 2000's but you're still better off with the 3000 series. As far as the other part, I still maintain & I'm waiting for anyone to prove me wrong, that when it comes to actual sound quality not features you're not going to use anyway, the $1300 models of today are not necessarily going to produce better sound then the $1300 models of the same brand 4 years ago. Use Denon for example. I seriously doubt anyone would hear any difference in audio quality between a 3801 7.1 system they put out several years ago and a $1300 model they've put out today, Some features may be difference, but if you're not going to use them anyway, big deal. I know the current Denon's have some kind of micrpohones for setting the volume ( maybe EQ levels) but to me that's not important & I can do that myself & actually would rather rely on my ears over what a machine says. In my universe, albeit if money wasn't a factor, of course I'd buy everything new, a $1300 used receiver that's 4 years old and costs me $400 is a better deal then a $1300 new receiver if its not going to sound any better.

kexodusc
02-08-2006, 05:46 AM
Edward:
Your not entirely wrong, when you restrict comparisons of a 4 year old receiver and a new one to just "sound quality". But you're not entirely right. And anyway, that's not what you said....your exact words were "Same exact performance".
To do a fair comparison of "same exact performance" you'd have to put both receivers side by side and ask the buyer which one he'd take for the same price? Obviously features play a big role.

As for sound quality...believe it or not, it does usually improve every year or two. Not a lot mind you, but it's there. Designers don't quit tweaking every ounce of performance from one year to the next. I just replaced my receiver with it's replacement (2 years newer) and they've incorporated a few new improvements I can think of that benefit sound quality...higher grade internal components in a few areas, a pure-direct mode to by pass all processing and electronic circuitry, and better power and cooling to name a few. That's just in about 18 months. Over 4 years, the sum of micro adjustments should be a bit more significant.

I still maintain you're missing the point though. What cost $1300 4 years ago won't cost $1300 today. A 3801 is pretty much surpassed by the 2106 or 955s models...the slight power advantage it has is doesn't make up for the improved processing and EQ features which contribute more to sound quality than a few more watts. Now you're down in the $600-$900 range. Doesn't have the nice looking fancy chassis and has a bit less power, but at most tolerable volumes I doubt you'd notice a difference in sound.

speakeroligist_38
02-08-2006, 11:38 AM
sektor I just bought me a Yammie RX-V757 and I love it. So I would highly recommend it to you. I also was giving a lot of consideration to the Pioneer1015 which by all accounts seems to be a giant killer so to speak. Got such a real good deal on my Yammie otherwise I would have gotten the Pioneer. Have noticed a lot of people liking the Panasonic all digital receivers as well. Be sure to take your time and pick what you think sounds best and what you think offers the most for your dollar. That being said you will be hard pressed to find anything that is significantly better in the less than $600 category no matter what brand you choose. What matters is what is best for your application and which sounds better to you. IMHO, the Pioneer1015 probably is better over all than the Yammie 757 BUT if I wanted to buy the Pioneer I would of had to spend another $100 and I just could not find where the Pioneer would have been that much better for me than the Yammie. Sometimes you have to give a little to gain a lot. Also be sure to check out the Yammie RX-V657. It is a solid all around performer as well. Good luck in your decision.

embolicmail
02-24-2006, 10:28 AM
I just purchased the HK 335, it has really amazing. By the way, where did you get the amazing deal on those Klipsch speakers?

accastil
02-25-2006, 09:31 AM
just a tip based from my own experience...yammies and denons will be best choice for HT (denon being a little better though than the yammie)...HK, marantz, pioneer, onkyo will be better for both HT and music listening. marantz may sound a little bright, HK sounds very balanced and tight bass, marantz with a punching bass, pioneer sounding a lot like Hk with more features and finally, onkyo having a very wide dynamic range (also very good for HT). my personal choices would be HK and Marantz among these brands ive mentioned.

Eric Z
02-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Interesting perspective. The nice thing about all the brands you mentioned is you can't go wrong with any of them. Obviously, some models may better suit someone more than others, but I'm confident in recommending any to anyone.