Food and the movies! whatcha eatin'? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Food and the movies! whatcha eatin'?

Kam
02-07-2006, 09:08 AM
So besides the typical, the normal, the staples of popcorn, coke, and some jr. mints... what are your more exotic combinations you like to mix-it-up with when watching a movie? either at home, or snuck into a theater?

my all time "best" (all snuck in at one time, at the theater)
1. cheese steak (from Carl's Cheesesteak in manhattan, a VERY close 2nd to pat's, highly reccomended to try it if you're ever in nyc!)
2. 2-liter of mountain dew (duane reade wasnt carrying the grape sunkist:( )
3. dorito's salsa nacho chips
4. dorito's guacamole chips
5. 2 hershey's chocolate bars (mr. goodbar and milk chocolate with almonds)
6. pint of reeces peanut butter cup ice cream
7. hershey's chocolate milk.

i walked in with my backpack looking like i was heading for everest. i even asked the guy at the counter for a cup of ice with my backpack waiting to explode at the seems. i dont even remember what the movie was. but that was one fine eatin' experience.
:)
mmmmm, now am hungry.... lunchtime!

GMichael
02-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Where did you have the 2-liter of mountain dew?

Nevermind. I don't want to know.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-07-2006, 09:42 AM
So besides the typical, the normal, the staples of popcorn, coke, and some jr. mints... what are your more exotic combinations you like to mix-it-up with when watching a movie? either at home, or snuck into a theater?

1. cheese steak (from Carl's Cheesesteak in manhattan, a VERY close 2nd to pat's, highly reccomended to try it if you're ever in nyc!)

i walked in with my backpack looking like i was heading for everest. i even asked the guy at the counter for a cup of ice with my backpack waiting to explode at the seems. i dont even remember what the movie was. but that was one fine eatin' experience.
mmmmm, now am hungry.... lunchtime!

So when you walk in the theater your are a fatty. And when you leave the theater you are a number two pencil. How do you they look at you when you cross the exit sign? Don't they look at you funny when they see the bulging trench coat?

L.J.
02-07-2006, 09:47 AM

Hmmm let's see.

rum
gin
brandy
tequ.
beer
wine

I usually buy myself a soda and make myself a nice cocktail or two or three before the movie starts :D

Kam
02-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Where did you have the 2-liter of mountain dew?

Nevermind. I don't want to know.

in the backpack!!! :p
i am a fan of the hide in plain sight method of sneaking food into the theaters. just walk in with gynormous backpack like there's nothing wrong and they wont think there's anything wrong either. that and knowing which theaters check backpacks and which dont. part of the adventure of movie-going here.:D

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-07-2006, 10:14 AM
in the backpack!!! :p
i am a fan of the hide in plain sight method of sneaking food into the theaters. just walk in with gynormous backpack like there's nothing wrong and they wont think there's anything wrong either. that and knowing which theaters check backpacks and which dont. part of the adventure of movie-going here.:D

Shame on you Kamster, cheating the system. Do you have anymore tips?? :)

paul_pci
02-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Hmmm let's see.

rum
gin
brandy
tequ.
beer
wine

I usually buy myself a soda and make myself a nice cocktail or two or three before the movie starts :D

Years ago (I swear) a friend and I would go get drunk in the afternoon and go watch a movie, and then be perfectly sober when we got out. But now, considering the average lack of quality movies these days, perhaps I should reprise the practice.

Resident Loser
02-07-2006, 10:26 AM
...about a half a Z of pre-rolled primo to see "Gimme Shelter"...

Afterwards, the waiter at the Italian restaurant asked the four of us if we we're expecting more people to show up, given the idiotic amount of food we ordered...and ate, BTW...

This is not to be taken as an endorsement for any amount of primo, loose or otherwise, such behavior is a poor, poor substitute for clean living and an unaltered conciousness.

jimHJJ(...just an unfortunate anecdote...clean and sober for 16 years...)

Kam
02-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Shame on you Kamster, cheating the system. Do you have anymore tips?? :)

well.... this is a specialty of mine tailor made over the years to penetrate the stealthy defenses out there but... here are a few: (they work in nyc, so am sure will work elsewhere)

1. backpacks with 2 pockets. open one pocket to reveal nothing but papers, etc. do not open the second pocket to reveal chips, soda, candy.
2. backpacks with 1 giant pocket, take a pair of gym shorts (clean, hopefully) and place over bags of food. quick, 'i just came from the gym' comment always discourages any more viewing or sniffing of said shorts by the 'ushers'.

also disposing of the ever visible duane reade and rite aid/ cvs bags are a big help for stealth, (i know you still remember those T3!)

both have worked for me in the past to bring in food of all kinds including cheese steaks, bk, and mcd's.
my next big attempt will be to bring in a pizza. not sure how am gonna do it yet, but when (not if) i do, i shall report. because frankly, sitting down with a nice ny-style pizza, a two-liter of welch's grape soda, and watching a movie... ahh.. heaven. :)

topspeed
02-07-2006, 11:13 AM
If I take anything into the theater, it's usually sloshing around in a flask or bottle. The only problem with going to a movie after a lil' pre-party is that you invariably have to pee at the most inopportune moment during the movie! No matter how hard you try to hold it, Mother Nature always wins out.

Funny story:
I'm going to a movie at the Mann Village in Westwood with a group a friends that are, oh...let's just say 6 degrees removed from sober ;). The theater was packed as we arrived late (Hey, what's more important: One more beer or making the movie on time? Uh-huh...that's what I thought you'd say...). There's five or six of us and we sit in the back row next to a gentleman sitting by himself wearing shades. My friend sits next to him and starts up a conversation:
"How ya doin'?"
"Fine, thanks."
"Ummm, do you know you've got your shades on still?" (followed by a sharp elbow in my friend's ribs from me)
"Yeah, I do. Thanks"
"Don'tcha think you'd see the movie better without 'em?"
"Not really. I'm blind."
"You're blind?!?"(followed by another sharp poke in the ribs as I turn and act like I don't know my friend anymore)
"That's right."

***pause ****

"Uhhh...why are you here?"
"I like to listen to it."
"Oh..."

***excruciatingly long pause***

"Why dontcha just buy the soundtrack? It'd be cheaper!"(this is when I moved)

Gentleman, as good as our HT's are, you only remember an experience like that at a gen-u-ine movie theater.

Kam
02-07-2006, 11:16 AM
What's next? A full dinner from Red Lobster? Red or white wine with that sir? How about some cheese cake or a cannoli?

Oh!!!! great idea! Done!!!
gauntlet has been thrown, and the next challenge has been accepted. after the pizza, my next attempt shall be to bring in a red lobster dinner!

GMichael
02-07-2006, 11:18 AM
well.... this is a specialty of mine tailor made over the years to penetrate the stealthy defenses out there but... here are a few: (they work in nyc, so am sure will work elsewhere)

1. backpacks with 2 pockets. open one pocket to reveal nothing but papers, etc. do not open the second pocket to reveal chips, soda, candy.
2. backpacks with 1 giant pocket, take a pair of gym shorts (clean, hopefully) and place over bags of food. quick, 'i just came from the gym' comment always discourages any more viewing or sniffing of said shorts by the 'ushers'.

also disposing of the ever visible duane reade and rite aid/ cvs bags are a big help for stealth, (i know you still remember those T3!)

both have worked for me in the past to bring in food of all kinds including cheese steaks, bk, and mcd's.
my next big attempt will be to bring in a pizza. not sure how am gonna do it yet, but when (not if) i do, i shall report. because frankly, sitting down with a nice ny-style pizza, a two-liter of welch's grape soda, and watching a movie... ahh.. heaven. :)

A pizza? Buwaaahahahahahahaha.......... Two litter drinks?!

That's great. I'm usually happy with a 16 oz soda and a few choco bars. What's next? A full dinner from Red Lobster? Red or white wine with that sir? How about some cheese cake or a cannoli?

GMichael
02-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Oh!!!! great idea! Done!!!
gauntlet has been thrown, and the next challenge has been accepted. after the pizza, my next attempt shall be to bring in a red lobster dinner!

Another chapter begins................................

Sniff sniff..... Do you smell fish? The woman behind you shoots a look at the guy that makes him melt into his shoes.

Kam
02-07-2006, 12:31 PM
btw, as a caveat, the above mentioned munchings have all been done on weekdays at nearly empty theaters so that noone has been offended by the smells and or light noises of multiple bag openings from my cornucopia of foods i've brought in. given my multiple rants of the moviegoing experience, i've generally tried my best not to make said experience any worse for anyone else in the theater with me while i am on one of my extravagant meal splurges (well, extravagant for me at least). :)

Smokey
02-07-2006, 01:45 PM

I hate to be in that movie theater when all the farting starts after such a meal LOL :D