My Radio DJ Premier [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My Radio DJ Premier

BarryL
02-07-2006, 07:02 AM
I received an interesting gift for Christmas from my sister-in-law: to be a guest DJ on Toronto's CKLN 88.1 radio station. I was able to program 80 minutes of music of my choice on Jeff Wiseman's Twilight Spirits from 7:00 to 8:30 Sunday morning.

Given that most people who enjoy progressive rock think that bands stopped making this kind of music in the mid 1970s, I decided I would base my show on new progressive rock bands that I though would connect with that sort of person.

So my challenge was more about the bands I would want people to know of than about what I thought were the best prog songs. Two other constraints: because this is Canada, I had to have some Canadian content; and because most of the great prog songs since about 1995 are at least ten, many being fifteen to twenty minutes in length. Long songs limits the number of bands I could introduce to people.

I was able to talk about the bands and the progressive rock revival between sets.

Here's the playlist I finally went with:

Set 1
Klaatu - We're Off You Know (Orchestral Mix) [The band recorded the whole Hope album with an 83 piece orchestra, and then scrapped most of it after the Beatles rumours made their first album a bit hit. It was released for the first time as it was originally conceived in 2005 on their compilation album Sun Set.]

True Myth - Reach For The Heavens. [Great piano driven prog rock and the first digitally recorded album in Canada, the second in the world.]

The Factory - Spirit of Christmas [A guitar-driven psychedelic proggy album by a Toronto-based band that came out in 1974.]

Don Bell - Child of Infinity [Don is a good personal friend of mine, and I wrote the lyrics to all of the versus. It's not prog, but I had the chance to get this played on the radio.]

Set 2
Spock's Beard - The Light (The Light)
The Flower Kings - There Is More To This World (Retropolis)

Set 3
Frogg Cafe - Creatures (Creatures)
RPWL - The Way It Is/Perpetual Response (Stock)
Porcupine Tree - Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It is Recycles (Lightbulb Sun)

Set 4
Proto-Kaw - Quantum Leapfrog (Before Became After)

I've been invited back, so I'll get the chance to play more prog rock for my family, because I'm sure there aren't too many people listening to college radio at 7:00 a..m. on Sunday mornings.

Maybe next time I'll have to include some Red Star and perhaps something from The Van Allen Belt, and ask the musical questions: Is there anybody out there?

Dave_G
02-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Hey thats very cool, Barry.

Have fun, I would love to do something like that.

Maybe you can push to be on at prime time.

Also you need to play RUSH and SAGA, of course.

Dave

BarryL
02-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Hey thats very cool, Barry.

Have fun, I would love to do something like that.

Maybe you can push to be on at prime time.

Also you need to play RUSH and SAGA, of course.

Dave

Yep, need to get in some good Canadian content, and they stand out.

I think the secret to doing this well is to find music that is both good and that there is an interesting story to telll either about the music or the band. I don't really know how the station works, so I'm very grateful too Jeff for having me back with such enthusiasm. It's fun to do, and If I only do it occasionally, I don't have the obligation of doing it week after week.

Also, if Jeff is happy to continue to have me as a guest, I can do a segment of new music that has come out since the last time I was on. For example, for next time there will be new Proto-Kaw, new The Tangent, and perhaps new Flower Kings.

richmon
02-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Echolyn
Miriodor
Spaced Out
Danial Gauthier
Nathan Mahl

Canada has contributed alot to the prog revival of the last decade eh?

Troy
02-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Canadian art-rock and, what, no Rheostatics? You'd love some stuff off the "Whale Music" album, Barry.

I also agree that Echolyn was conspiuously absent from the list.

The Red Star and Van Allen Belt . . . NOT conspicuoulsly absent.

Rush is too obvious if the idea was to hit people with unfamiliar music.

I'm green with envy. The guest DJ gig is something I've always wanted to do. My set would be very different, but there would undoubtedly be some artist overlap.

3-LockBox
02-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Good for our side! I didn't know Echolyn was a Canadian band.

Of course, you'll have to make comps of yours shows.

Troy
02-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Good for our side! I didn't know Echolyn was a Canadian band.

Of course, you'll have to make comps of yours shows.

I don't think they are either, but as a modern prog band that deserves to be heard . . . it deserved to be heard.

richmon
02-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Looking deeper, seems Echolyn is a USA band, although I saw a reference to them as Canadian, for example
http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200548.html#echolyn
But many more say USA than Canada, so that must be right -- 'never mind'.

Davey
02-07-2006, 09:50 AM
I've been invited back, so I'll get the chance to play more prog rock for my family, because I'm sure there aren't too many people listening to college radio at 7:00 a..m. on Sunday mornings.
Ditto, that is pretty cool Barry. So what's your on air radio nom de plume? There's a couple people around here who DJ'd in college, Jar among them.

Dusty Chalk
02-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Just echoing others' sentiments: very cool, Barry. I'm green with envy.

NP: Clor -- new wave 80's revival meets prog -- kinda bizarre

3-LockBox
02-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Looking deeper, seems Echolyn is a USA band, although I saw a reference to them as Canadian, for example
http://www.dprp.net/reviews/200548.html#echolyn
But many more say USA than Canada, so that must be right -- 'never mind'.

Thanks for the great link! I always like finding new review sites that lists bands that, #1:I've heard of or own, and #2:have band names I can actually pernounce.

Dave_G
02-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Zappa
Stan Ridgway
Kenealy
Zappa
Genesis
Zappa
XTC
Zappa

LOL!

Dave

Troy
02-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Zappa
Stan Ridgway
Kenealy
Zappa
Genesis
Zappa
XTC
Zappa

LOL!

Dave

I'd probably play more Zappa.

ForeverAutumn
02-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Canadian art-rock and, what, no Rheostatics? You'd love some stuff off the "Whale Music" album, Barry.

Now why didn't I think of that? Rheostatics would definately be a great addition (and fulfill the Canadian Content quota) for the next time. Good call Troy.

Having been one of, at least, four people listening to this show, Barry did a great job! And was actually interesting to listen to for a change. :p

P.S. Barry, I can provide you with Whale Music and a couple other great Rheostatics albums.

Dave_G
02-07-2006, 12:05 PM
My setlist:

Flower Kings
IQ
Marillion
Flower Kings
IQ
Marillion
Flower Kings
IQ
Marillion

Dave

Audio Girl
02-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Ditto, that is pretty cool Barry. So what's your on air radio nom de plume? There's a couple people around here who DJ'd in college, Jar among them.

Believe it or not, I did too...1976-1977. North Texas State University (NTSU), now known as The University of North Texas (UNT). It was pretty cool...at that time, the station could be picked up for about 45 miles outside of Denton, so all my homies in Carrollton would tune in and call the station for requests. Great memories and lots of fun...

Troy
02-07-2006, 01:03 PM
My setlist:

Flower Kings
IQ
Marillion
Flower Kings
IQ
Marillion
Flower Kings
IQ
Marillion

Dave

Not enough Donny and Marie.

Davey
02-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Believe it or not, I did too...1976-1977. North Texas State University (NTSU), now known as The University of North Texas (UNT). It was pretty cool...at that time, the station could be picked up for about 45 miles outside of Denton, so all my homies in Carrollton would tune in and call the station for requests. Great memories and lots of fun...
Hmmm, betcha spun some of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. What else? Maybe Hotel California? Saturday Night Fever? Hehehe, did Mellencamp have anything new then? How freaky did you get back then? 1977 was a great music year for me, one of my favorites. Lots of discoveries and albums I'm still very fond of. Almost as wide open as the late 60s, in retrospect, with Costello and Marley and Eno and Mink DeVille and the Heads and Peter Gabriel and Pink Floyd and Cheap Trick and Bowie and on and on and ...

BradH
02-07-2006, 04:49 PM

That's cool. At what point did KNTU go to the all jazz format?

BarryL
02-08-2006, 07:27 AM

The Meercat. Don't ask me why, but that's the name I use with my kids on the Game Cube game Animal Crossing. You nutcase.

Of course, The B Man is what my goofy sister calls me. As for what I call her, I call her a cab, of course.

Cool radio nom de plume recommendations are welcome. I can't even pronounce my own last name.

BarryL
02-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Rheostatics would definately be a great addition (and fulfill the Canadian Content quota) for the next time. Good call Troy.

Barry did a great job! And was actually interesting to listen to for a change. :p

For the good of our country and our nation, I will accept your offer of providing me with Rheostatic tunage.

I also didn't know Echolyn was Canadian. I'll have to check on what the Canadian content rules are. James LaBrie is also Canadian, but that doesn't make Dream Theater CanCon.

The pressure, the pressure!

BarryL
02-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Zappa
Stan Ridgway
Kenealy
Zappa
Genesis
Zappa
XTC
Zappa

LOL!

Dave

That's going to be my playlist next time, but no XTC or Ridgeway. I need space of Red Star and TVAB (...big...wooden...mallet...).

BarryL
02-08-2006, 07:36 AM

..except my mom.

Perhaps they need to move to text messaging. Who uses the phone anymore. It's too personal. Someone might actually answer!

ForeverAutumn
02-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Of course, The B Man is what my goofy sister calls me.

Only to your face. I call you lots of other things too.

Nice use of reply posts to make this thread seem really long and important. It increases your post count too.

:D

BarryL
02-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Only to your face. I call you lots of other things too.

Nice use of reply posts to make this thread seem really long and important. It increases your post count too.

:D

I haven't posted in ages, and with just a few words in each response, I can get it up and feel really manly as well without resorting to those blue jelly beans.

3-LockBox
02-08-2006, 03:04 PM
I haven't posted in ages, and with just a few words in each response, I can get it up and feel really manly as well without resorting to those blue jelly beans.

Do those blue jelly beans work?

BarryL
02-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Do those blue jelly beans work?

Look at my post count, it's only 25 more than yours.

Audio Girl
02-11-2006, 11:57 PM
That's cool. At what point did KNTU go to the all jazz format?

It really was a lot of fun. The all-jazz format began in 1981...I graduated 4 years prior to its introduction.

Audio Girl
02-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Hmmm, betcha spun some of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. What else? Maybe Hotel California? Saturday Night Fever? Hehehe, did Mellencamp have anything new then? How freaky did you get back then? 1977 was a great music year for me, one of my favorites. Lots of discoveries and albums I'm still very fond of. Almost as wide open as the late 60s, in retrospect, with Costello and Marley and Eno and Mink DeVille and the Heads and Peter Gabriel and Pink Floyd and Cheap Trick and Bowie and on and on and ...

1976/77 were great years for music. That made for a fun time spinning those black discs over the radio...Plus the 1969 - 1975 time period wasn't bad for music either so we played quite a bit from those years.

Believe it or not, Rumours, Hotel California, and SNF were never spun by me. Our listening audience would have tuned their radios from KNTU to the "ZOO" (KZEW) if I had. So, here are just a few of the groups that I remember playing (and usually played the LP cuts that were not being played on other radio stations):

Boz Scaggs (local Dallasite) -- Heavy rotation: "Slow Dancer" & "Silk Degrees"
Steve Miller
Thin Lizzy
Bob Dylan
Joni Mitchell
Elvis Costello
Jackson Browne
Little Feat
Ry Cooder
Nils Lofgren
Joan Armatrading
Emmylou Harris
Foghat
Clapton
Todd Rundgren
Nazz
Graham Parker
Talking Heads
Bob Marley
Marvin Gaye
Doors
Queen
Van Morrison -- Astral Weeks!
Jimi Hendrix
Paul McCartney & Wings -- songs like "Beware My Love" NOT "Silly Love Songs"
Heart
Neil Young
Janis Joplin
Blue Oyster Cult
ACDC
Rolling Stones
Beatles
George Harrison
John Lennon
The Troggs
Steely Dan
Stevie Wonder
Lou Reed
Nazareth
JJ Cale
David Bowie
Pink Floyd
Bill Withers
The Zombies
George Benson
And, of course, The One O'Clock Lab Band, from NTSU!

A wonderful walk down memory lane...
Ag

Davey
02-12-2006, 12:57 PM
A wonderful walk down memory lane...
Ag
Wow, that's a heckuva nice playlist Mary! A lot of my favorites.

BradH
02-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Our listening audience would have tuned their radios from KNTU to the "ZOO" (KZEW) if I had.

I was thinking of the ZOO the other day. I was listening to a bootleg of Procol Harum in 1975 at some studio hear in Dallas broadcast live over KZEW. Q102 rarely did stuff like that - too corporate, too Van Halen. Although Redbeard did killer interviews, I have to admit. (Got a bunch of those on disc, too.)

The college station in Norman, OK went all jazz in 1982 about the same time as KNTU. They got swallowed by the jazz/NPR format and it killed all that new wave & ska they were playing all day.