Should I just trash this Philip 5781 powered amp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Should I just trash this Philip 5781 powered amp?

birnt
02-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Just kidding! I was wondering if anybody in the abyss, knows anything about this vintage amp. Like what it is worth and why it keeps cutting out. When I google 5781 I get a ton of mentions but no really info. Any help will do. Maybe a repair shop in the phx area.

thanks

Resident Loser
02-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Just kidding! I was wondering if anybody in the abyss, knows anything about this vintage amp. Like what it is worth and why it keeps cutting out. When I google 5781 I get a ton of mentions but no really info. Any help will do. Maybe a repair shop in the phx area.

thanks

...the lack of response, that is...Philips doesn't create a big blip on the audio radar screen...even their older models don't have much of a following as searching would indicate...Seems as though they had a cassette deck with the same model number and ditto for the IC/semiconductor they manufacture(d)...you might try AA, AK or AH in hopes that someone, somewhere, has had, or currently does, own one...it's your best shot...

Generally speaking, you may be overdriving it causing a protection response or it could be something as simple as loose connections...

Local repair shops are best discovered via local word of mouth or possibly from a local hi-fi salesroom.

jimHJJ(...it's not much, but...)

radioactive
02-09-2006, 10:25 AM
hi birnt,
the philips amp you mention is definately worth keeping and getting running right.the 5781 and 578 were from a series called"hi fi labratories"from about 1978 to around 1981.the line included the matching preamp to the amp you mentionted the 5721 and the well regarded tuner the 6731.there were also receivers and some integrated amps from that line as well.as was pointed out the philips line has not been widely noticed and does fly under the radar (except for the above mentioned tuner)but as a owner of a few philips pieces including the amp you own i dont know why they dont get the respect they deserve.

as for the problem with your amp

when is it cuttting out?
is it an intermittent problem ?
can you describe the symptoms a little better and perhaps i can help you ?

chris