Rolling Stones Superbowl Sound By ABC Was Attrocious [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stones Superbowl Sound By ABC Was Attrocious

EdwardGein
02-05-2006, 05:57 PM
I hope someone loses their job on this one The halftime sound of the Rolling Stones at the Superbowl was attrocious and would have been rejected for a bootleg CD as not good enough. I don't know how a major network on a major show for a major band could allow this to happen. The Stones, not that I personally care- I think they sucked after Mick Taylor left, should be ticked off beyond belief at whoever did the sound. I'm sure with their monitors they weren't aware of this but it was recorded as if there was no PA run through or something. Absolutely ridiculous and no excuse for ABC. The sound by Paul McCartney last year was flawless & this was a disgrace. The terrible sound had nothing to do with their playing.

westcott
02-05-2006, 06:10 PM
I hope someone loses their job on this one The halftime sound of the Rolling Stones at the Superbowl was attrocious and would have been rejected for a bootleg CD as not good enough. I don't know how a major network on a major show for a major band could allow this to happen. The Stones, not that I personally care- I think they sucked after Mick Taylor left, should be ticked off beyond belief at whoever did the sound. I'm sure with their monitors they weren't aware of this but it was recorded as if there was no PA run through or something. Absolutely ridiculous and no excuse for ABC. The sound by Paul McCartney last year was flawless & this was a disgrace. The terrible sound had nothing to do with their playing.

I agree totally. It sounded like a bad MP3 recording. The sound man should be taken out back and taught the Huntsville Hustle.

I watched U2 Vertigo Tour live the night before and it sounded perfect.

phillyguy
02-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Man, I glad I am not the only one who noticed it. I thought it might be just me, or the cable box, but then I realized the ads for the movie trailers sounded MUCH better than the halftime show! ABC did a horrible job with the sound.The volume change between the game and the commercials was incredible. Commericials are usually louder, but never as loud as they were tonight!

EdwardGein
02-05-2006, 08:25 PM
I'm amazed at this kind of level with this kind of money, ABC could let this type of thing happen. When I saw McCartney last year at the Superbowl, while his performance I thought was OK, the sound was fantastic, same with U2. Not that the Rolling Stones need the money & I personally stopped listening to them 25 years ago, but this will cost them plenty in lost album sales & possible ticket sales in the future. I could have gotten a better recording off a cassette recorder.

Funny thing was I didn't notice the volume changes between the commercials & the game as I usually do when watching TV. Outside of the first couple of commercials, they were pretty lame and is Amerquest or whatever its called on crack or something as their commercials were both distasteful & were pointless and I usually like distasteful things but not in this case!

luvs2jam60
02-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Yeah, it was a lousy job. I don't have an HDTV (no room in the dorms for a decent one, sadly) and I was listening to the analog signal, and it still sounded aweful. Almost as if someone totally cut off the highs during the half time show. Really bad job, which is suprising because apparently the NFL brought in the guys that has done a ton of superbowls and has a big reputation for doing a phenomenal job with live broadcasts, Don Mischer Productions I believe. Maybe its because it was ABC and not one of the big sports networks for football like FOX or CBS besides monday nights, but they need to go back to the drawing board. And, just an aside, the monkey-infested CareerBuilder.com commercials were absolutely hilarious!

jamison
02-05-2006, 08:39 PM
i thought the sound quality sucked ... but the performance wasnt super either.. then again i didnt expect it to be ... I thought the national anthem was absolutly retched..

i dont think anyone will ever outdo whitney houstons performance

EdwardGein
02-05-2006, 08:43 PM
The sound was so bad, I couldn't evaluate the performance. I thought after the first 15 seconds that maybe there was a technical problem that would be corrected right away, but nooo. The game though did look great visually on HDTV. Unfortunately during the regular season they put the scores and crap constantly blocking the picture and it looks more like a pinball game.

Eric Z
02-05-2006, 08:53 PM
A pinball game- that's funny- nice analogy!

Regarding the Stones...I just thought it was because they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past their prime :)

drseid
02-06-2006, 02:42 AM

Yes, I agree... terrible sound quality. To make matters worse (as others have already mentioned) the performance was not so hot either. Bad all around.

---Dave

EdwardGein
02-06-2006, 03:01 AM
What I still can't comprehend, the same way I can't comprehend when major companies like HP release shoddy product to the public, is how ABC's or the NFL's quality control could be so bad to allow this. The beauty is, alot of people didn't even notice the shoddy sound. I gave up on the Stones years ago- when I saw them at the Garden in 1969 when the Ya Ya's album was recorded, they were great but when I saw them on some free cable TV concert a few years ago, they sucked. Other then Start Me Up, I can't think of one song they've done that's impressed me in over 25 years. I hope people weren't tinkering with their TV's & receivers, thinking it was their equipments fault.

markw
02-06-2006, 03:08 AM
Today, they are just the best paid nostalgia act in the business. Their music is secondary to their maintaing their original lineup, their presence, and their ability to draw a crowd* based soley on their past reputation.

*as well as their ability to still walk and breathe without visible aid.

kexodusc
02-06-2006, 06:07 AM
Today, they are just the best paid nostalgia act in the business. Their music is secondary to their maintaing their original lineup, their presence, and their ability to draw a crowd* based soley on their past reputation.

*as well as their ability to still walk and breathe without visible aid.

I'm not a Stones fan at all. Most of what I know about them came from Saturday Night Live skits and such poking fun at the age and state of the members. I probably couldn't name 3 album titles, maybe 4 song titles, but I did see them play this summer. I have to admit, they impressed the heck out of me live. 120,000 people went home happy that day. Could be because they played their old music?

Too bad at about the half time show. I missed it, our plane was landing just as the 1st half ended...didn't get home until the 3rd quarter. Oh well, guess I didn't miss much.

Worf101
02-06-2006, 07:00 AM
as I do on the weekends, you'd know that the sound for that show was about as good as you could expect for a LIVE PERFORMANCE! Most halftime shows lip synch. Whitney's famous Star Spangled Banner was a lip synch. 99% of halftime shows are L.S'd. The Stones, god bless em, did it live. When you put all that sound in a massive enclosed structure it's not gonna sound like a CD any way. If it were a Stones concert, sound crew would've been there weeks or days ahead of time. The sound system would've been optimized for music reproduction and performance NOT Football. The halftime show is an afterthought NOT the main focus so it's not surprising that with those shortcomings and limitations that the show sounded like ass.

Da Worfster :cool:

shokhead
02-06-2006, 07:07 AM
RS have been overdone for 20 years.

edtyct
02-06-2006, 07:19 AM
I'm not a particular fan of the rolling stones either, though I'm more contemporary with them. The thing that gets me is how people feel like they have the inside track on musicians' ability or motivation merely because they listen to music or because music is important to them or because their particular taste/bias inclines them a certain way, etc., as if they have some special entitlement. The idea that the rolling stones "sucked after Mick Taylor left" doesn't really mean all that much, since lots of people seemed to like them after that point. Is their judgment somehow less credible? And what about the suggestion that the rolling stones' "music is secondary to their maintaining their original lineup, their presence, and their ability to draw a crowd based solely on their past reputation, as well as their ability to still walk and breathe without visible aid"? So, what they want to do first and foremost is to keep the original core members together, which is valuable to them because it maintains their audience and makes them lots of money by allowing them to exploit their past reputation. Why don't all those people who flock to their concerts and buy their records see what we, who are really in the know, see--that the rolling stones have no genuine musical/performing relationship, or any direct interest in the experience of playing before a big friendly crowd? We know, unlike everyone else, that they're only in it for the money, which they need so badly.

But how many of us, if we were millionaires many times over, would still do our jobs if we didn't love them? And the ageism in this dismissal is hard to take--that the ability of the rolling stones to make viable music is suspect because they are old by some people's standards. Why don't they just go home and leave the music world, not to mention the rest of the world, to the kids, who incidentally will never age themselves? I'm reminded of Jerry Seinfeld's line in the show when confronted with someone who persisted in making questionable jokes about religion. When asked if he was insulted as a religious person, Seinfeld answered, "No, I'm offended as a comedian." I'm not defending the rolling stones as a fan, I'm defending them as a person with a few years.

EdwardGein
02-06-2006, 09:08 AM
They managed to get Crystal Clear Sound for Paul McCartney & U2 live amongst others, so they should have managed to do the same for the Stones. Whether or not the Stones performance was good or not is irrelevant for me, I couldn't hear them properly to evaluate this.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-06-2006, 09:23 AM
as I do on the weekends, you'd know that the sound for that show was about as good as you could expect for a LIVE PERFORMANCE! Most halftime shows lip synch. Whitney's famous Star Spangled Banner was a lip synch. 99% of halftime shows are L.S'd. The Stones, god bless em, did it live. When you put all that sound in a massive enclosed structure it's not gonna sound like a CD any way. If it were a Stones concert, sound crew would've been there weeks or days ahead of time. The sound system would've been optimized for music reproduction and performance NOT Football. The halftime show is an afterthought NOT the main focus so it's not surprising that with those shortcomings and limitations that the show sounded like ass.

Thank you very much Worf. I do not think people really understand just how difficult it is to setup a stage in ten second, and then get all of the levels perfect. Doing this for a concert takes days, not minutes.

Unless this was exclusively a live performance, your expectations should be realistically lowered. I do not think anyone is fathoming the difficuly in pulling this thing off is.

Worf, thanks for the SNAP! back to reality.

Side note; I am not defending ABC as an employee, I am defending the knowledge of difficulty and emphasis.

Eric Z
02-06-2006, 09:54 AM
I have to admit, Jaggar can still get around quite well for his old age- even though a couple times I thought he was going to tumble over.

There's doing something right as one of the (if not, the) most successful band in history.

topspeed
02-06-2006, 09:55 AM

Da Worfster :cool:Gotta agree 100%!

You nailed it Worfster. How good are you guys expecting it to be when they have minutes, not hours, to roll out a stage and get the band and fans on the field? It's a miracle that all the pickups worked! I'm no fan of the Stones, but you can't really compare this to U2's Vertigo concert where they had months of prep time knowing they were recording the Chicago concert (btw, the Vertigo concert is one of the best sounding, best looking concert recordings I've seen).

Considering how many respondents have noted their dislike of the Stones, I'm surprised the opinions on sound have been so fervent. I don't like 'em that much so honestly, I could care less how they sound.

Resident Loser
02-06-2006, 11:00 AM

Mick is still dancin' around like a lunatic AND actually singing! Most of these pop-of-the-moment, little prima donna's can't do that...even when standing still.

Minimalist, straight-ahead RnR...two guitars, bass and keyboard...and Charlie Watts...still that same bemused expression, bashing away on the most basic of kits...it doesn't get any better.

Audiophile concerns? Sound quality?...when the entire audience was standing on the arm-rests at MSG in 1970-whatever, do you think there was concern for sound quality? Say whaaa? ..It ain't McCartney-pop, it ain't DSOTM with lasers and video screens in ancient ruins...it was three-friggin' songs at halftime...The only thing I cared less about was the football. I know it's only rock and roll...

jimHJJ(...but I liked it...)

robert393
02-06-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm not a particular fan of the rolling stones either, though I'm more contemporary with them. The thing that gets me is how people feel like they have the inside track on musicians' ability or motivation merely because they listen to music or because music is important to them or because their particular taste/bias inclines them a certain way, etc., as if they have some special entitlement. The idea that the rolling stones "sucked after Mick Taylor left" doesn't really mean all that much, since lots of people seemed to like them after that point. Is their judgment somehow less credible? And what about the suggestion that the rolling stones' "music is secondary to their maintaining their original lineup, their presence, and their ability to draw a crowd based solely on their past reputation, as well as their ability to still walk and breathe without visible aid"? So, what they want to do first and foremost is to keep the original core members together, which is valuable to them because it maintains their audience and makes them lots of money by allowing them to exploit their past reputation. Why don't all those people who flock to their concerts and buy their records see what we, who are really in the know, see--that the rolling stones have no genuine musical/performing relationship, or any direct interest in the experience of playing before a big friendly crowd? We know, unlike everyone else, that they're only in it for the money, which they need so badly.

But how many of us, if we were millionaires many times over, would still do our jobs if we didn't love them? And the ageism in this dismissal is hard to take--that the ability of the rolling stones to make viable music is suspect because they are old by some people's standards. Why don't they just go home and leave the music world, not to mention the rest of the world, to the kids, who incidentally will never age themselves? I'm reminded of Jerry Seinfeld's line in the show when confronted with someone who persisted in making questionable jokes about religion. When asked if he was insulted as a religious person, Seinfeld answered, "No, I'm offended as a comedian." I'm not defending the rolling stones as a fan, I'm defending them as a person with a few years.
I couldn't have said it any better. Nice.....very nice indeed.

Robert

Woochifer
02-06-2006, 03:20 PM
They managed to get Crystal Clear Sound for Paul McCartney & U2 live amongst others, so they should have managed to do the same for the Stones. Whether or not the Stones performance was good or not is irrelevant for me, I couldn't hear them properly to evaluate this.

Worf and Terrence got it right. The RS halftime show was a live performance, and one that had to be setup in the middle of a football field in less than 10 minutes. In a normal stadium concert (like the Rolling Stones show last year in San Francisco), the stage and sound rigging are setup about a day in advance with plenty of time to do sound checks. Obviously, you don't get that luxury during a Super Bowl.

My recollection was that a lot of the background music with McCartney and U2 sounded pre-recorded, and that's been the norm with Super Bowls since they went to the overblown stage productions starting with the wretched "Up With People" halftime shows that had completely canned music. If a show's pre-recorded, then the sound quality and timing/length can be controlled in a studio environment with multiple takes.

If you want better audio quality and live-not-prerecorded performances, then maybe the Super Bowl should get back to its roots and just let marching bands provide the halftime entertainment. No need for elaborate choreographed and prerecorded productions or amplification. Just 400 musicians on the field making a lot of noise. That's how it was for nine of the first eleven Super Bowls.

http://www.superbowl.com/features/entertainment/halftime-honorroll

Eric Z
02-06-2006, 03:33 PM
i had a co-worker who was at the game and he said they sounded great (and he was in the nose bleed seats). he tivo'd the game and watched it this morning and said it was abc who screwed things up- they even talked about the sound on some sports shows.

Woochifer
02-06-2006, 03:46 PM
i had a co-worker who was at the game and he said they sounded great (and he was in the nose bleed seats). he tivo'd the game and watched it this morning and said it was abc who screwed things up- they even talked about the sound on some sports shows.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the HD 5.1 sound feed with the analog stereo feed? I remember that the two-channel analog feed sounded really bad on a few of ESPN's HD simulcasts (and presumably the same crew worked on ABC's production last night).

drseid
02-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Has anyone had a chance to compare the HD 5.1 sound feed with the analog stereo feed? I remember that the two-channel analog feed sounded really bad on a few of ESPN's HD simulcasts (and presumably the same crew worked on ABC's production last night).
I can't speak for the 2 channel, but the HD 5.1 feed was the one I heard.

I understand the comments by some about the difficulties in setting up a live performance on the fly, but this was definitely a *very* bad audio job by ABC (I don't think any live performance could possibly be setup this poorly). While I don't really like the Stones and I did not care for their performance no matter how good the sonics were, *no one* deserved the audio butcher job ABC did.

---Dave

EdwardGein
02-06-2006, 04:40 PM
First off, they didn't just improvise and record them cold turkey. ABC must have set their equipment up at least 24 hours ahead of time and ran through sound checks till they got the balance & sound right. For example, when I did record producing a decade ago, I only did one live album but we were set up many hours ahead of the performance and levels were tested, etc., till we had the proper balance way in advance. It's not like ABC just set their mikes up etc. at the start of the game. And we're talking million dollar equipment here. I really hope the idiot in charge of this loses their job. There is absolutely no exuse for this.

Woochifer
02-06-2006, 05:01 PM
I can't speak for the 2 channel, but the HD 5.1 feed was the one I heard.

I understand the comments by some about the difficulties in setting up a live performance on the fly, but this was definitely a *very* bad audio job by ABC (I don't think any live performance could possibly be setup this poorly). While I don't really like the Stones and I did not care for their performance no matter how good the sonics were, *no one* deserved the audio butcher job ABC did.

---Dave

Hmmm, I think that might be a big part of the discussion, because I heard the audio in analog two-channel and it did not sound noticeably bad. It wasn't great, but it didn't sound any worse than other stadium shows that have gone out live over broadcast TV, especially one using a rig that has to be assembled and disassembled in only a few minutes. I guess that's why (aside from marching bands) almost all football halftime shows use canned music and a minimum of actual live performance.

EdwardGein
02-06-2006, 05:12 PM
My comments were based on the 5.1 digital audio feed. To be honest, on the past few years I've been amazed at the incredible sound quality coming out of live musical performances on TV & this one was absolutely rock bottom. The blessing is, if there performance was as bad as people are saying here, the bad sound for me disguised all that, as I just couldn't bear to really listen it was so bad.

SlumpBuster
02-06-2006, 05:15 PM
http://www.superbowl.com/features/entertainment/halftime-honorroll

See SB XXVII. "Micheal Jackson and 3500 local children." :D It really could be alot worse than Mick Jager spilling his colostomy bag all over stage.

Woochifer
02-06-2006, 05:18 PM
First off, they didn't just improvise and record them cold turkey. ABC must have set their equipment up at least 24 hours ahead of time and ran through sound checks till they got the balance & sound right. For example, when I did record producing a decade ago, I only did one live album but we were set up many hours ahead of the performance and levels were tested, etc., till we had the proper balance way in advance. It's not like ABC just set their mikes up etc. at the start of the game. And we're talking million dollar equipment here. I really hope the idiot in charge of this loses their job. There is absolutely no exuse for this.

Hersh/Ed -

None of us have any idea about the actual production preparation, and how much time they had for sound checks, etc., so it doesn't matter what procedures are normally undertaken to record a live concert, because this is the Super Bowl, not a Stones concert. First and foremost, we're talking about a football game. All of these other considerations with the halftime show are secondary at best. That's why the whole stage has to be assembled and dismantled in only a few minutes, and why nearly every other Super Bowl I've watched featured almost entirely canned pre-recorded music. We're not talking about a full-blown Stones concert with a few football plays sprinkled in as a diversion. If ABC took their time to setup the mikes and production booth, they would presumably focus more on getting the audio right for the actual game, right? If the audio problems occurred with the game itself, then that would be a bigger problem.

markw
02-06-2006, 05:35 PM
I had no beef with the sound. It was, after all, a stadium event and never expect much from them. Secondly, the music and sound was less of an issue and the spectacle was the main thrust, and that they delivered.

God bless 'em for till being able to move like that and draw a crowd and may they continue to do so until nature takes it's course but, in my opinion and taste, they have long since stopped being musically significant and are a living relic of a long gone era.

When I want to hear the stones I know and love, I'll drop on one of those funny, flat, black things that are about 12" across with a little hole in the middle and spin at 33 1/3 rpm.

Woochifer
02-06-2006, 06:07 PM
See SB XXVII. "Micheal Jackson and 3500 local children." :D It really could be alot worse than Mick Jager spilling his colostomy bag all over stage.

Yup, that halftime show made me cringe, especially since one of the provisions in MJ's contract was that the announcements all had to refer to him as the "King of Pop"! But, it could be a LOT worse since it doesn't sound like you're old enough to remember when "Up With People" did the SB halftime shows ... yeek!

At the rate things are going with these bloated overblown halftime productions, give me the Florida A&M marching band every freakin' year!

s dog
02-06-2006, 08:54 PM
I went with 7 channel stereo thinking it would help the sound out a bit - It didnot help at all just sounded thin and weak.

EdwardGein
02-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Believe me heads will roll! When U2 played the sound was flawless & I doubt their stuff was prerecorded. I can't comment on Paul McCartney except it also sounded great- total seperation of instruments, volume levels were correct, etc. The fact that this was done live in a stadium is no excuse for terrilble, it wasn't even mediocore, sound. Actually, while I admit I don't have an engineer's technical knowledge, I think everything, except the drums was digitally recorded anyway, so there shouldn't have been that terrible muddy sound. Again, keep in mind that this is the NFL's & ABC's apex event of the year with a huge amount of money invested & when you do something like that, you don't have shoddy sound quality for the half time show.

toenail
02-07-2006, 04:19 AM
I listened to the Stones in DD5.1. Aside from a few level matching problems like a guitar solo being somewhat muted or lead vocals too quiet at times the show seemed as expected. The bigger issue for me was that Mick did what most do in that situation and sprinted around the stage so much that he started sounding like an out of breath aerobics instructor. BTW, it was quite kind of ABC to switch the pre-game Mick interview with Robin Roberts to low definition.

Worf101
02-07-2006, 06:14 AM
Thank you very much Worf. I do not think people really understand just how difficult it is to setup a stage in ten second, and then get all of the levels perfect. Doing this for a concert takes days, not minutes.

Unless this was exclusively a live performance, your expectations should be realistically lowered. I do not think anyone is fathoming the difficuly in pulling this thing off is.

Worf, thanks for the SNAP! back to reality.

Side note; I am not defending ABC as an employee, I am defending the knowledge of difficulty and emphasis.

I knew if I didn't give em the low down, you would. LOL, now you know I can't lay "da snaps" on anyone round here... they'd ban me. I could never say "Da Rolling Stones was so old they looked like Albino California Raisins". Can't say stuff like that I'd get tossed. :D

Da "What'd you say bout my mamma" Worfster

Worf101
02-07-2006, 06:19 AM
Mick is still dancin' around like a lunatic AND actually singing! Most of these pop-of-the-moment, little prima donna's can't do that...even when standing still.

Minimalist, straight-ahead RnR...two guitars, bass and keyboard...and Charlie Watts...still that same bemused expression, bashing away on the most basic of kits...it doesn't get any better.

Audiophile concerns? Sound quality?...when the entire audience was standing on the arm-rests at MSG in 1970-whatever, do you think there was concern for sound quality? Say whaaa? ..It ain't McCartney-pop, it ain't DSOTM with lasers and video screens in ancient ruins...it was three-friggin' songs at halftime...The only thing I cared less about was the football. I know it's only rock and roll...

jimHJJ(...but I liked it...)

Nice to see you back in the saddle and your ole self again... that last rant in Fave Films had me really, really, really worried!!! Thought Smokey had hit you in the haid one too many times.

Worf101
02-07-2006, 06:28 AM
Yup, that halftime show made me cringe, especially since one of the provisions in MJ's contract was that the announcements all had to refer to him as the "King of Pop"! But, it could be a LOT worse since it doesn't sound like you're old enough to remember when "Up With People" did the SB halftime shows ... yeek!

At the rate things are going with these bloated overblown halftime productions, give me the Florida A&M marching band every freakin' year!

God, man my blood sugar's headed for Mars, stop mentioning this White Bread pap will you??!!! No strike that, that last crack was an insult to white bread everywhere. Sigh.... the living embodiment of "Just Say No". I really didn't mind the bad songs, or the cheesey choreography, or the costumes from 50's movie musicals, no all that I could take. It's those fake-assed smiles they kept plastered on their mugs that killed me. The "Steopford Wives" vacuousness of their schtick..... god... I must be losing my mind writing about this crap.

Da "What the hell am I thinking about" Worfster :rolleyes:

Eric Z
02-07-2006, 07:50 AM
My last $.02:

I think the problem is they turned the Superbowl into concerts with a football thrown in there somewhere. The 5 hours of pregame, terrible national anthem, and extra long halftime show is way way way too much. What ever happened to the national anthem with one person (or maybe a few others) and a microphone? None of this huge event crap that noone cares about anyway.

The networks are just trying to gobble up more viewers who aren't interested in the actual game.

I really don't know why people get excited about the game- unless you're from Seattle or Pittsburg.

jocko_nc
02-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Amen to that! Just play the stinkin' game already.

Historically, the Super Bowl is anything but super. Too much hype. Too much distraction. Too much of everything that has nothing to do with the game. Everyone looked out-of sorts Sunday, the players, the coaches, the refs, the entertainment. Too much time off. Too late in the season. Notice how good the playoff games leading up to the Super Bowl usually are? Just play the game already.

jocko

02-07-2006, 09:32 AM
I knew if I didn't give em the low down, you would. LOL, now you know I can't lay "da snaps" on anyone round here... they'd ban me. I could never say "Da Rolling Stones was so old they looked like Albino California Raisins". Can't say stuff like that I'd get tossed. :D

Da "What'd you say bout my mamma" Worfster

I dint say nothin bout yo mamma. If you lay down the snaps, you won't get banned. If I lay down the snaps, I would be so banned that I would have to find a new country to live in.

I heard it through the grapevine that you were right about them looking like albino raisins. I was told that eventually they all will have scaffolding ericted around their mugshots for major reconstruction. The was said to cost Polands entire operating budget for 2006.

ABC sound technicians also had to wrap sound deaden material around each persons joints. The said all of those rattlin old bones was getting into the mix.

02-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Amen to that! Just play the stinkin' game already.

Historically, the Super Bowl is anything but super. Too much hype. Too much distraction. Too much of everything that has nothing to do with the game. Everyone looked out-of sorts Sunday, the players, the coaches, the refs, the entertainment. Too much time off. Too late in the season. Notice how good the playoff games leading up to the Super Bowl usually are? Just play the game already.

jocko

Step away from the hate-o-rade, that stuff is no good for ya! They have to have some kind of build up, don't ya think???

GMichael
02-07-2006, 09:44 AM
I heard it through the grapevine that you were right about them looking like albino raisins. I was told that eventually they all will have scaffolding ericted around their mugshots for major reconstruction. The was said to cost Polands entire operating budget for 2006.

ABC sound technicians also had to wrap sound deaden material around each persons joints. The said all of those rattlin old bones was getting into the mix.

What can you expect from a bunch of 60+ year old, former drug addicted, rocked their butts off for decades, white men to look like? Just be happy that the wind didn't pick up so that all their extra skin started a flappin' in the breeze.

GMichael
02-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Step away from the hate-o-rade, that stuff is no good for ya! They have to have some kind of build up, don't ya think???

Well, from a corporate, we want to make money, point of view? Yes, they sure do.
From a pure sports fan, let's see the game, point of view? Nah.. Tee it up and kick it.

The build up is fun though. It makes for great parties. And I loved seeing all those old Super Bowls and highlights all weekend.

Resident Loser
02-07-2006, 09:51 AM
... that last rant in Fave Films had me really, really, really worried!!! Da Worfster :cool:

...did you ever taste a Walker's Highland Oat Cake?

jimHJJ(...not to worry, everything's the same as it ever was...or so I'm told...)

Woochifer
02-07-2006, 11:24 AM
I dint say nothin bout yo mamma. If you lay down the snaps, you won't get banned. If I lay down the snaps, I would be so banned that I would have to find a new country to live in.

Wow! And to think, the only observation I had was the usual "Keith looks like death warmed over" and "Is Ron still in the band?" schtick.

Hey, if the Florida A&M marching band was good enough for Broadway Joe in SB III, no reason to think we can't bring that kind of halftime entertainment back to the game! When you got people watching the Super Bowl just for the commercials or the halftime entertainment, then something's wrong with that picture!

gonefishin
02-07-2006, 01:53 PM
What did you expect? They are the Stones!

Which, at best, are a cheap tribute band of themselves.

dan

02-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Wow! And to think, the only observation I had was the usual "Keith looks like death warmed over" and "Is Ron still in the band?" schtick.

Hey, if the Florida A&M marching band was good enough for Broadway Joe in SB III, no reason to think we can't bring that kind of halftime entertainment back to the game! When you got people watching the Super Bowl just for the commercials or the halftime entertainment, then something's wrong with that picture!

I am all for the marching band during halftime. I did so many halftime shows in my day that I puked green grass for years. The last halftime show I did with the Renegades, we got a standing ovation from the crowd that lasted 3 minutes. That was longer than the home team got!

I really do think it is time for the NFL to returns to its roots regarding halftime. It is just too commercial to be enjoyable. I do like the commercials though. Sometimes they are more entertaining than the game itself.

Woochifer
02-07-2006, 04:07 PM
God, man my blood sugar's headed for Mars, stop mentioning this White Bread pap will you??!!! No strike that, that last crack was an insult to white bread everywhere. Sigh.... the living embodiment of "Just Say No". I really didn't mind the bad songs, or the cheesey choreography, or the costumes from 50's movie musicals, no all that I could take. It's those fake-assed smiles they kept plastered on their mugs that killed me. The "Steopford Wives" vacuousness of their schtick..... god... I must be losing my mind writing about this crap.

Da "What the hell am I thinking about" Worfster :rolleyes:

Worf -

You came out of your coma with all gunzablazin'. With that post, you totally outdid yourself -- I'm friggin' speechless!

Living embodiment of "just say no" -- that's a line for the ages! All I could think of as a comparison for Up With People was a Disneyland parade gone wrong and multiplied in scale like a petri dish in a frat house bathroom! :eek:

Eric Z
02-07-2006, 04:54 PM
The most exciting games in pro football are the divisional and conference championship games! The superbowl ain't so super anymore!!!!

EdwardGein
02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Until the last few years, most of the Superbowls sucked. This years superbowl was one of the worst games ever. Both teams played bad, the referees were terrible- I'm still trying to figure out why no one made a big deal of the play where the Seattle caught the ball and fumbled it 2 seconds later & they called it an incomplete pass, the clock management of Seattle sucked, the Stones and/or their sound system sucked & most of the commercials weren't that good. Really my only quick sports fix is the NCAA Basketball tournament. It's fun to see unheralded players you never heard of, come through & wind up getting drafted and playing in the pros because they caught their attention when they weren't on the radar in the beginning.

Worf101
02-08-2006, 05:33 AM

My man says you could hide a roll of nickles in Mich Jagger's face.
Word is, Keith Richards was cast in "Day of the Living Dead" but didn't need no make up.
Hair Club for men told Ron Wood that he could be tne new spokeman and resident mop top.
Charlie Watts.. that M.F. is just plain cool!!!

Da Worfster

Worf101
02-08-2006, 05:35 AM
Worf -

You came out of your coma with all gunzablazin'. With that post, you totally outdid yourself -- I'm friggin' speechless!

Living embodiment of "just say no" -- that's a line for the ages! All I could think of as a comparison for Up With People was a Disneyland parade gone wrong and multiplied in scale like a petri dish in a frat house bathroom! :eek:

"Petri dish in a frat house bathroom".... not there's an image I could've happily done without!!! :p I'm killing you??? You're killing me!!! How did we wind up down this road any how?

Da Wandering Worfster :D

Digiti
02-10-2006, 05:05 PM
I am not an RS fan but I felt the sound was atrocious. There was no depth or presence in the sound on Mick's voice or the band in general. It sounded like an old mono recording very poorly recorded. At the very least I have to give Mick credit for singing live and not lip-synching to a recording. Last year's McCartney concert was superb in comparison. Heads should roll for this; to use a very bad expression in today's world. Incidentally I was listening to the DD 5.1 feed.

Mark4583
02-14-2006, 04:24 AM
I remember seeing the Stones live in the 70's, but there not that great sounding live then and im a huge Stones fan and figured they would sound crappy at the supper bowl to begin with. allthough I have to admit,I may have been just a little impaired at the time if you know what I mean :-)
I think the Animals may get back together next year for half time! lol