I waited too long [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I waited too long

cam
02-04-2006, 01:13 PM
In a couple of months I was planning on buying the Panny 34wx15 tube tv. Have recently noticed that some stores in my local area don't have it on their web sites anymore. I went to Sears and A&B Sound to find out, and I find out that Panaonic has stopped making them with apparently no new 34 inchers to replace the wx15 model. I'm a little bummed out right now. If I was ready to buy right now I could get the floor model at A&B Sound for $1298 Can + taxes. But I'm not ready right now and I don't like buying floor models.

I did notice that their are lots of Toshibas 34hf85 tube tv's and will still be around brand new in a box 2 months from now when I will be ready. I can get one for $899 Can + tax. I have researched alot on the hf85 model and found too many complaints to mention. I guess the Toshiba/Orion thing is true. But for $899, maybe I should get it anyways.

The 34 inch Sonys are out of the question, I'm not willing to drop $1699 on a Sony product. Any comments?

EdwardGein
02-04-2006, 02:07 PM
If this is the HD Widescreen Panasonic 34wx15TV, they still have it at Circuit City amongst other places & you can get it still online. Great TV Feel free to email me if you have any questions If you have to get it shipped to you its still is worth it I lucked out and paid I think $1100 for it on sale at Circuit City which included free delivery & set up & bought a 3 year extended warranty as well (& will extend that for another 2 years). You can get it at Amazon.com for $1125 plus $150 delivery (hurry one in stock the others are on order there). Hype Audio has it for $1050 & I think free shipping. Bizrate & other sites has even better deals for it.

cam
02-04-2006, 04:01 PM
If this is the HD Widescreen Panasonic 34wx15TV, they still have it at Circuit City amongst other places & you can get it still online. Great TV Feel free to email me if you have any questions If you have to get it shipped to you its still is worth it I lucked out and paid I think $1100 for it on sale at Circuit City which included free delivery & set up & bought a 3 year extended warranty as well (& will extend that for another 2 years). You can get it at Amazon.com for $1125 plus $150 delivery (hurry one in stock the others are on order there). Hype Audio has it for $1050 & I think free shipping. Bizrate & other sites has even better deals for it.I'm not brave enough to order through the internet. I will only walk into a store and buy that way. There are a couple of small mom and pop stores I need to check out still. Who knows, maybe I will go and get that 34wx15 on the floor at A&B Sound. It might be my only hope. I really don't want to buy the 34hf85 built by Orion, oops, I mean Toshiba. But at $899, that's really cheap. I'll ponder this for another day or two.

EdwardGein
02-04-2006, 05:55 PM
Good luck but it doesn't make sense to me especially if you order from a large company online. Anyway, Circuit city has these in stock.

cam
02-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Good luck but it doesn't make sense to me especially if you order from a large company online. Anyway, Circuit city has these in stock.I live in Canada, there in no CC here. My choices were, and I stress were, Sears, Future Shop, A&B Sound, Best Buy. All Apparently can't get them anymore. It doesn't surprise me though, I checked out Panasonic Canadian website and they don't even list CRT RPTV's. I do have one more possibility, Sony is supposedly coming out in March with a 34XBR970 which apparently is not an XBR with the super fine pitch screen. It is more of a stripped down 34 incher that Sony made a few years ago. It is supposed to list at $1199. We'll see.

EdwardGein
02-04-2006, 07:13 PM
This will make you feel even worse. Some dude in Canada was selling these sets for under $800 but you had to pick them up on Ebay. If the US is in driving distance for you, I'd go to
Circuit City (call them ahead of time to make sure they have it) & buy it there & bring back. I still find it hard to believe that you can't get this set in Canada. Again, from a large company like Amazon.com, Vanns, etc., if they do ship to Canada, your not taking any chances.
I agree buying this on Ebay and not being able to pick up, is taking a chance & I wouldn't do. Also try Craigs list. I'd also call Panasonic & ask them which stores in Canada would have this.

cam
02-24-2006, 07:14 PM
I just had a fleeting thought. I picked up the phone and called THE BRICK. If you don't know, this is a Canadian store. Just so happens they have 1, you heard me, 1, in a box, brand new in their warehouse. It is now reserved for me for $1199.99 Canadian + $229.99 for a 6 year warranty + tax. YEE-HA! I'm going there tomorrow, which just so happens is my 35th birthday to sign the deal. I'm hoping this guy I talked to is not giving me the gears. If all is true I will have this 34 inch direct view tube tv as my main HT monitor for the next few years. And then when the SED's become common, I will get a 50 incher and then put the 34 inch Panny in the bedroom.

PAT.P
02-24-2006, 07:57 PM
I just had a fleeting thought. I picked up the phone and called THE BRICK. If you don't know, this is a Canadian store. Just so happens they have 1, you heard me, 1, in a box, brand new in their warehouse. It is now reserved for me for $1199.99 Canadian + $229.99 for a 6 year warranty + tax. YEE-HA! I'm going there tomorrow, which just so happens is my 35th birthday to sign the deal. I'm hoping this guy I talked to is not giving me the gears. If all is true I will have this 34 inch direct view tube tv as my main HT monitor for the next few years. And then when the SED's become common, I will get a 50 incher and then put the 34 inch Panny in the bedroom.Hope it turns out good for you.BTW "HAPPY BIRTHDAY"

cam
02-24-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the love Pat. I'm not quite ready for a mid life crisis since I'm only turning 35. But if I was about to turn 45, I would say, screw the 34 incher, where is the 90 inch plasma, and where can I get a Porsche.

Thank god I'm not going through that dreaded mid life crisis yet, cause that could get expensive.

EdwardGein
02-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Your price is pretty good. I got mine for $1100 & another $230 or so for a 3 year extended warranty from Circuit City back in later November. I was sure the price was going to fall alot but surprisingly it didn't.

I know it is fantastic for me as a bedroom set. For my living room set I needed a larger screen and so that's why my HD there is 48" Mitsubishi. That Mitsubishi at least in LA, is now going for $1200 or less new including delivery & I'd totally recommend it if you can find it there.

On the Panasonic, stay with all the factory presets, especially the Vivid setting. It took my eyes about a week to get use to going from a 30" set to 34" set. If you're not satisfied with the colors after a week then change it.

I personally think DVD's look great on this set as well especially on my HK 31 & getting an upconvertor isn't really necessary on this. Enjoy

PAT.P
02-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the love Pat. I'm not quite ready for a mid life crisis since I'm only turning 35. But if I was about to turn 45, I would say, screw the 34 incher, where is the 90 inch plasma, and where can I get a Porsche.

Thank god I'm not going through that dreaded mid life crisis yet, cause that could get expensive.Im 46 and still dont have these toys.When you be my age you try to save for retirement :D

cam
02-24-2006, 08:45 PM
Your price is pretty good. I got mine for $1100 & another $230 or so for a 3 year extended warranty from Circuit City back in later November. I was sure the price was going to fall alot but surprisingly it didn't.

I know it is fantastic for me as a bedroom set. For my living room set I needed a larger screen and so that's why my HD there is 48" Mitsubishi. That Mitsubishi at least in LA, is now going for $1200 or less new including delivery & I'd totally recommend it if you can find it there.

On the Panasonic, stay with all the factory presets, especially the Vivid setting. It took my eyes about a week to get use to going from a 30" set to 34" set. If you're not satisfied with the colors after a week then change it.

I personally think DVD's look great on this set as well especially on my HK 31 & getting an upconvertor isn't really necessary on this. EnjoyHey Ed, it is well known that crt tubes in general have the best blacks, best contrast, best off axis viewing angles, and best..........., well you get the drift. I personally think that the crt market, whether crt rptv or tube is being re-tired before the other techs have been mastered.

Plasma, still expensive and you always have to be weary of burn in. You don't want to fall asleep while watching CNN.

LCD, expensive for the size all while having poor blacks and motion blur.

Projection DLP and LCD, DAM that $300 plus lamp that is supposed to last 6000-8000 hours but usually last about 3000-4000 hours (If your lucky).

If it is true that I will get a brand new 34wx15 Panny tube tv, I will just sit and wait for the newer technology to work itself out.

My prediction, Plasma will come down in price but will always be succeptable to burn in. And then become extinct.

LCD will also come down in price but who wants dark greys to substitute blacks all while having dead pixels here and there, and then become extinct.

Projection DLP and LCD, DAM that $300 + lamp, need I say more.

Toshiba's SED and Sony's OLED seem like the only promising future displays to come.

If all comes true, my new crt tube will last long enough to get me into the newer technologies.

EdwardGein
02-24-2006, 09:23 PM
To me the biggest scam on the Plasma sare that you need to spend another $150- $300, & this is on sale at some chain store, just to have a base to put it on.

In regards to big screen rear Projection HD Sets (I should have added that my Mitsubishi 48" was $1600 new including delivery/installation a year ago & has dropped to $1200 or less now), if you have a normal sized living room, it will fit in perfectly, and look good as well (depending on its cosmetic appearence). Most of these are on wheels & is delivered and installed to your house anyway, so I really can't understand people's exceptions with bulk, if
it really doesn't take up space needed anyway. Too me its not bulky & in my case fits in perfectly in front of the living room wall. I definately don't recommend getting any HD TV's less then 34"(perhaps 32" as I haven't watched any) as to me the picture looks too small.

Eric Z
02-25-2006, 08:56 AM
cam, i'm looking forward to hear what you have to say about the new set! 35 isn't bad at all- you're just entering your prime :) and patp is right about starting to plan for retirement in the 40s. i turn 32 this year and work in benefits (401ks and pensions)- it's sad how soooooooo many people have barely nothing saved for their retirement- even when the company matches part of their contributions, they still don't contribute- why not???!?!? i'm afraid there will be way too many poor people 20 years down the road in retirement.

ok, i'm off my soapbox about benefits and retirement now.

enjoy your new toy and i hope you enjoy your birthday!
ez

cam
02-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks Eric Z, I just got back from the store and my new tv will arrive Monday. I might have to call in sick that day.

As for saving for retirement, where I work we get a pension amount taken off each cheque whether we like it or not and my employer matches by 1.5. I'm pretty much set for a full pension by age 60, plus I can also start collecting my CPP. But I'm not relying totally on my work pension and my CPP, I still contribute a couple thousand dollars a year into an RRSP.

Eric Z
02-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Not a bad idea to call in sick to play with your TV!

Sounds like you have a pretty good retirement plan- I'm not too familiar with Canadian retirement plans, but I feel it's just the same in the US and I'm not counting on Social Security. Many more companies automatically enroll employees in various plans just so they benefit from the tax breaks and free money.

Have a good rest of the weekend!

PAT.P
02-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks Eric Z, I just got back from the store and my new tv will arrive Monday. I might have to call in sick that day.

As for saving for retirement, where I work we get a pension amount taken off each cheque whether we like it or not and my employer matches by 1.5. I'm pretty much set for a full pension by age 60, plus I can also start collecting my CPP. But I'm not relying totally on my work pension and my CPP, I still contribute a couple thousand dollars a year into an RRSP.Thats good they kept their word on the TV.I just quit my self -employment to be on the payroll.I've been working at the same place for 20years and had been offer to be on it 20 years ago but said no :confused: I would of had a pension in 5 years.I will generate from my rental unit (if I dont sell it) at least $1000. clear a month .Our other home should be paid in 10 years.HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,HAPPY BIRTHDAY ,HAPPY BIRTHDAY ,HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUUUUUUUUU.Sang this in my male" CANTOR TENOR" voice.Have a great one :D

EdwardGein
02-25-2006, 02:33 PM
I lucked out & was able to take an early retirement at 50. If I had kids there was no way I could afford this. The best thing on my retirement is my excellent health insurance continues at the same cost. Even though I'm making less then half of what I was earning, I'm actually living better now as alot of my money went for expensive suits for work, transportation, etc.

PAT.P
02-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I lucked out & was able to take an early retirement at 50. If I had kids there was no way I could afford this. The best thing on my retirement is my excellent health insurance continues at the same cost. Even though I'm making less then half of what I was earning, I'm actually living better now as alot of my money went for expensive suits for work, transportation, etc.Must be nice to retire at 50,I have 4 kids (3 of them in their 20 )I still have an 8 year old .I'll be 58 when is 20,but is grandma is putting money away for is school.The spouse is probably going to inherit some money from her parents.Her father lives in CZECH and her mom is in CANADA.My son will inherit one house from us later,my daughters from 1 marriage will be left with other asset.My son will be in good shape,he already buys Bonds and is tight with is money(start them young to learn).Me and spouse is new money and my kids will have old money :D Still have some time for more toys,we will buy bigger TV in the next year or so .I want 60" + but Tech is changing so fast so not in hurry.

GMichael
02-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Happy birthday Cam. It's great that you went out and got yourself a pressent. Who knows what you like better than you?

PAT.P
02-26-2006, 08:00 AM
Happy birthday Cam. It's great that you went out and got yourself a pressent. Who knows what you like better than you?I think Cam went partying last night ,or had a wild evening with is wife :D

Eric Z
02-26-2006, 08:07 AM
It's good to hear people have plans for retirement. EG, it's great you have a nice retirement health plan. I deal with a lot of companies that are cutting their benefits like crazy and people don't think about the importance of health care- I think too many people assume it will be there. My wife and I don't have any kids yet so it's been nice saving boatloads in my 401(k) plan; however, my wife just got laid off and her last day is 2/28- it's not too bad because she really really wanted to leave in December, so now it's great because she gets 3 months severence.

GMichael
02-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Been working the 401k idea for years. A couple of older workers back then told me not to count on any employer to take care of me. As dumb as I was, I still listened. For many years I put in the max alowd. 20 years later it's starting to grow to something worth while.

PAT.P
02-26-2006, 08:21 AM
It's good to hear people have plans for retirement. EG, it's great you have a nice retirement health plan. I deal with a lot of companies that are cutting their benefits like crazy and people don't think about the importance of health care- I think too many people assume it will be there. My wife and I don't have any kids yet so it's been nice saving boatloads in my 401(k) plan; however, my wife just got laid off and her last day is 2/28- it's not too bad because she really really wanted to leave in December, so now it's great because she gets 3 months severence.My spouse got laid of a few years ago ,gave her a year severence and had 1 year unemployment.She was working with a fibre optic firm and market crash.We had some good years when it was up (stock) ,so told her to look at good side .She had bought a house with her option ,now she works for an accounting firm.All the best to your wife and you.

Eric Z
02-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks, Pat P! I know this will work out for us- it always does. My wife is educated and has a lot of experience in the HR field. She's just going to really enjoy life for a while and take advantage of the unemployment. We're fortunate enough we can live off of my salary- we'll have to make some lifestyle changes, but not too bad- well worth it for my wife to relax and not have a job for a few months.

GM, you're right on with your 401(k); it's nice to see it grow into something substantial- now only if the majority of the workforce would at least contribute 5% per month- too many people live in the now and are going to be kicking themselves when they have no other choice, but to work when they're 65.

PAT.P
02-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Maybe we should start a thread about this,dont know to much about the US pension .Here in Canada we have Canada Pension plan(contribution when you work ),Old age security,RSP ect.People wait to long to think and suffer later on when their to enjoy retirement.Some dont even think of Insurance .I have mortgage insurance ,if I die it pays it off .

orgasmdonor
02-26-2006, 03:09 PM
This is Home Theater not Home Finance. :) :) :) :) :) You guys are great. My 401 is controlled by me through ameritrade. I did this after the 9/11 crap. I figured if I was going to lose my butt anymore so it would be my own doing. It was just about 5 months ago that I have made up what I lost in 2000-2002. I was heavily tech laiden at the time and down my leg it all went. I don't know about you all but in about the year 1999 when time warner bought AOL is when I started noticing the tech decline. The stock really lost its appeal overall and subsequently the smaller "start ups" started to have problems then and eventually disappearing......Need to get another beer...so i'll stop typing

PAT.P
02-26-2006, 03:46 PM
This is Home Theater not Home Finance. :) :) :) :) :) You guys are great. My 401 is controlled by me through ameritrade. I did this after the 9/11 crap. I figured if I was going to lose my butt anymore so it would be my own doing. It was just about 5 months ago that I have made up what I lost in 2000-2002. I was heavily tech laiden at the time and down my leg it all went. I don't know about you all but in about the year 1999 when time warner bought AOL is when I started noticing the tech decline. The stock really lost its appeal overall and subsequently the smaller "start ups" started to have problems then and eventually disappearing......Need to get another beer...so i'll stop typingSound good Im getting a beer too :D How to finance your home to buy HT equipment?Answer: "Take a Home Equity Line of Credit" So you see its both ,Home Finance for better Home Theater. :D

Eric Z
02-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Hahaha- sorry to hijack your thread with my frickin' retirement plan crap- I deal with this stuff all week at work and I then talk about here- what's my problem?! I guess I'm just getting the word out :)

I have to admit, I thought about taking some money out of my personal savings a few times to finance a new HT set-up. I didn't so that's good- I just save slowly, but surely.

PAT.P
02-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Hahaha- sorry to hijack your thread with my frickin' retirement plan crap- I deal with this stuff all week at work and I then talk about here- what's my problem?! I guess I'm just getting the word out :)

I have to admit, I thought about taking some money out of my personal savings a few times to finance a new HT set-up. I didn't so that's good- I just save slowly, but surely.I use my Home Equity Line of credit (from my rental unit) to by my toys :D Just have to pay the interest each month.Cant go to crazy because if I go over board they take my Unit.Thats when the other line of credit jump- in,this one is unsecure :D cant touch anything.I have a 5***** rating at bank and they know Im good for it.They only person I fear more than the Bank is the wife and Revenue Canada. :D Did tell the wife I'll cool down for HT until we pay down the mortgage.