Kex..................help please!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Kex..................help please!!!!!

speakeroligist_38
02-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Hello Ken how you been. I was doing some catching up and came across a thread in which you had posted on. Sorry dont exactly remember but you made it clear you was seriously thinking about purchasing a Pioneer1015 and as such you were gonna do a comparison between the Pioneer and your Yammie RX-V1400 if I remember correctly. Did you ever get to do the comparison? I just recently purchased a Yammie RX-V757 that replaced my Yammie RX-V650. However, I was giving serious thought about buying a Pioneer 1015 myself. Do you think I made the right call??? Just got such a good deal on the 757 and I would of had to pay more for the Pioneer1015. Please share your thoughts.
Phil

accastil
02-04-2006, 03:12 AM
Hello Ken how you been. I was doing some catching up and came across a thread in which you had posted on. Sorry dont exactly remember but you made it clear you was seriously thinking about purchasing a Pioneer1015 and as such you were gonna do a comparison between the Pioneer and your Yammie RX-V1400 if I remember correctly. Did you ever get to do the comparison? I just recently purchased a Yammie RX-V757 that replaced my Yammie RX-V650. However, I was giving serious thought about buying a Pioneer 1015 myself. Do you think I made the right call??? Just got such a good deal on the 757 and I would of had to pay more for the Pioneer1015. Please share your thoughts.
Phil
the pioneer is not really that good but at least its better than the yammie. go for the pioneer. well...if you need more explanation, just give both an audition and hear it for yourself.

speakeroligist_38
02-04-2006, 06:52 AM
Acc I have already purchased the yammie. I got such a good deal. I would of gotten the Pioneer if I had the extra money. For now, I am happy with the yammie just wanted to know how good the Pioneer1015 really is.You make it clear the Pioneer is better but you do not mention any specifics. Care to elaborate a bit more???? Thanks for your help.

kexodusc
02-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Hey man, sorry I didn't get back to you, I've been on vacation in Atlanta and Orlando for 2 weeks.

Acc is our resident Yamaha basher...don't pay much attention to him. Just do search on Yamaha and his name and you'll see what I mean.

I can't say for sure if the 1015tx is better than the 757. In all honesty I'd say it's pretty close, but I'll give the edge to the Pioneer because it's got more power, a few more features and I think can be bought for about the same money or cheaper. In terms of sound quality I doubt most people could honestly say they hear much difference.

I did get to demo the 1015tx, but not on my system, just on my uncle's HT system. That's okay though, I got a pretty good idea of what it can do, and he owns a pair of speakers I've got dozens of hours of familiarity with. I ended up comparing it to the HTR-5890, which is basically a newer, and very slightly upgraded version of my old 1400. I'd say the two are pretty much a crapshoot. The Pioneer has a tiny bit more real power, but I can't think of a situation where it would ever be a clear advantage over the Yamah. Sound wise, they were pretty close. The one thing I can say about the Pioneer, is that it sounded a bit recessed on the highs to me compared to the Yamaha, and I think a bit more emphasized in the mid-bass region as well. Warmer sounding. Not bad, just a bit different. I suspect a lot of people would prefer this...I don't.

For home theater processing, Yamaha's DSP's were pretty good, some of Pioneer's were too...but I'd give the edge to the Yamaha. The Pioneer was much easier to setup and use though. I think everyone should copy what Pioneer is doing with their remotes and menus. Bravo.

Quality wise, I haven't heard anything bad about Pioneer for a long time now, but Yamaha is known for it's quality.

I'd definitely give the value edge to Pioneer though.

In the end, the small difference in sound and the fact I've had a good recent run with Yamaha prompted me to buy an HTR-5890, the Pioneer just didn't do enough to win me over...I know Yamaha's products, I guess that was the difference. For me was really just a move sideways. There's a few quality improvements that improve the sound a bit over the 1400, but we're splitting hairs. (I sold my 1400 to a co-worker in Australia for enough to cover the new receiver). Basically I gained 2 more years of warranty, a better remote, slightly worse looks, and few very modest sound quality improvements for about $40. Why not..

The 757 is a nice model...not sure why you went from a 650 to a 757, they're pretty much the same, but then my recent move is pretty similar.

GMichael
02-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Hey man, sorry I didn't get back to you, I've been on vacation in Atlanta and Orlando for 2 weeks.

Sorry to jack this thread, but...

Kex, I just got back from 2 weeks in Orlando. Who knew?

kexodusc
02-06-2006, 11:49 AM
No kidding? My first time in Orlando actually...work had only ever taken me to Miami before. Had a blast...sort of a late honeymoon. Did Disney World, Universal, Bush Gardens, all the touristy things, and some loafing around town. What a great place.

Next time we'll have to hook up for some cold beers.

GMichael
02-06-2006, 12:01 PM
You got a deal. My 'rents live in Kissamme. We usually visit them at least once a year.

Did you go on the Mummy ride in Universal? We didn't know it was a roller coaster until it was too late. Once we were clamped in, I turned to my wife and said, "I think we're on the wrong ride."

kexodusc
02-06-2006, 01:19 PM
We stayed at a Renaissance, or Ramada Inn or something in Kissimee...that place is sure handy to all the fun stuff.

The Mummy was pretty wicked. Darn flames scorched the hair on my arm...I'm still young enough to enjoy the roller-coasters though, so the Hulk was my fav. Spiderman was a wild ride too. The wife didn't like anything that went close to upsidedown.
All I could think about was the amount of money those guys spent on the details and props used along in the rooms made for the waiting lines...Can't believe it took me this long to go...

GMichael
02-06-2006, 02:28 PM
We stayed at a Renaissance, or Ramada Inn or something in Kissimee...that place is sure handy to all the fun stuff.

The Mummy was pretty wicked. Darn flames scorched the hair on my arm...I'm still young enough to enjoy the roller-coasters though, so the Hulk was my fav. Spiderman was a wild ride too. The wife didn't like anything that went close to upsidedown.
All I could think about was the amount of money those guys spent on the details and props used along in the rooms made for the waiting lines...Can't believe it took me this long to go...

Rides are fun. More so when I was younger. All the rides had the same basic warnings so it was hard to tell the moderate rides from the roller coasters and like. We figured it out though. We didn't go on anymore rides that said for us to put our belongings into a locker. That's the tip off.
Did you do Epcott? We didn't go this year but it's my favorite. There's a ride called trip to mars, or something like that. Last year we went a week before some kid died on it. I was dizzy for 2 days. (my wife says I never stopped being dizzy but that's another story)

kexodusc
02-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah,. Mission:Space at Epcot, I think...pretty wild ride...the only ride I've ever been on that had barf bags in a dispenser within reach.
I liked Universal alot, but MGM Studios were pretty good too...
Each place had it's own charm, though, hard to compare since they were all a bit different.

Good spot for a late honeymoon though, we promised ourselves to back within a few years.

speakeroligist_38
02-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Kex glad to hear you had a good vacation-sounds like you had a lot of fun. Anyways, I upgraded to the 757 because I had to the opportunity to sell my 650. I was seriously thinking about getting the Pioneer 1015 but got too good of a deal on the 757. I also got a set of Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's and am so glad I did. Just watched Doom listening to them and it is amazing just how good they sound. My Yammie 757 does a good job with virtual surround and at times I would swear I was using a powered subwoofer. The 20's do go pretty low for such a small speaker and the soundstage is gigantic giving their size. These are the best imaging speakers I have owned to date. Anyways, thanks for the help Kex.

Kam
02-07-2006, 11:27 AM

SPOILER FOR ANYONE WHO HASNT RIDDEN THE HULK AND DOESNT KNOW WHAT IT DOES AND IS GOING TO RIDE IT (DONT READ)

i had no idea about the ride when i went, and wasnt even watching it from the ground, so when i got in the front and was slowly drudging up the incline, when it launched forward about 10-15 feet before hitting the peak, it totally caught me unawares and freaked the hell out of me! totally snapped my head back and the scream right from my throat as i was getting ready to let it out for the drop down! i loved the ride and went straight back in line to do it again! fav ride i've been on in a long time! good fun. :)

speakeroligist_38
02-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Oh btw, I would of had gotten the Pioneer1015 if I had not gotten such a good deal on the Yammie 757. If I bought the Pioneer 1015 it would have cost me close to a $100 more. Just did not really have the extra funds so I opted for the 757. So far, I am happy with my purchase.

kexodusc
02-07-2006, 11:50 AM
SPOILER FOR ANYONE WHO HASNT RIDDEN THE HULK AND DOESNT KNOW WHAT IT DOES AND IS GOING TO RIDE IT (DONT READ)

Heh heh..that's about how I hit it too...
Walking up this very long winding stairway with cool monitors showing mini hulk cartoons to what I thought was a 3-D ride, strapped in...and got shot out of what looks like the warp core of the Enterprise - 80 mph or something stupid in 2.0 seconds....then I was upside down...
Yeah, that felt great after a stack of pancakes at 10 AM...but I went again and again.

kexodusc
02-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Oh btw, I would of had gotten the Pioneer1015 if I had not gotten such a good deal on the Yammie 757. If I bought the Pioneer 1015 it would have cost me close to a $100 more. Just did not really have the extra funds so I opted for the 757. So far, I am happy with my purchase.

Sounds like a good deal for you then. You can extra-$100 yourself into the poorhouse with this stuff. If you're happy, that's all that matters. I'm not sure you'd notice much difference anyway.