This new format SUCKS big time! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : This new format SUCKS big time!

Hyfi
11-17-2003, 05:03 PM
I really hate the new forum, to the point that I won't be participating much at all. The pages don't load any faster for me and if I can't see who replied to posts I won't spend the time weeding through every one just to find an interesting reply hidden in the thread. No offense toward anyone intended. I never read every post anyway, between dialup and time in general. I think we all should migrate over to Audio Assylum. The pages are fast even for me and they sport the expanded thread. All the stupid little bells and whistles were added at the expense of functionality. These developers are morons that think smiley faces will make me so much happier than a page that can load in less than 30 seconds. Did you ever notice that the people who actually use something are never the ones who get to make the suggestions on how to make it better?

See yas around.......maybe

Hyfi......going to my room to pout now......

ForeverAutumn
11-17-2003, 07:09 PM
C'mon, you like the smileys. I know you do.

Look at the positives....
1. I'm here! :)
2. You can put YECH on your ignore list.
3. Like I already said....Smileys!
4. The format may not be faster to load, but you can scroll down and read all the threads much faster than having to open each individual one.
5. The most recent post is always on top. So threads won't die just because they end up too far down the page.
6. Chris is around to help you with any problems (although, with your newly acquired computer expertise you shouldn't need his help :) )
7. Did I mention....Smileys?
8. If you change your thread view to hybrid, you'll get the best of both worlds...you can see the thread and scroll down to read them all.
9. Real polls!
10. And...just in case it needs to be repeated....Smileys!!!

I think that you're just grumpy from studying too hard. You'll think differently after you ace your exam. As Governor Schwarzenegger (sp?) says.....You'll Be Bok.

:) <====SMILEYS!

Snowbunny
11-17-2003, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure why it takes so long to load for you. It seems to be pretty quick for me. Listen to my fellow-Canadian, Autumngirl and try some different views. Plus you can pick out a cool avatar. We could even post our pictures again and rate each other with the star ratings! NOT!!!

P.S. You know what? It took forever to load when I was trying to listen to music at the same time. And I'm on high speed....

jack70
11-18-2003, 08:07 AM
I've been thinking about this the last few days too... I guess it's as good a time as any to rant:

All the stupid little bells and whistles were added at the expense of functionality. These developers are morons that think smiley faces will make me so much happier than a page that can load in less than 30 seconds. Did you ever notice that the people who actually use something are never the ones who get to make the suggestions on how to make it better?

This is a pet peeve of mine, and I was just discussing this general subject with my dad the other day -- on shower controls (plumbing valves), car coffee holders, and car radio controls. There was a book written on this subject, and I think the conclusion was that the people (geeks) who design high tech things know them SO well, they lay them out with "their mindset," not the user's. As an engineer who only got a PC 3 years ago, I've found the web & PC especially bad on this issue: software that's backwards to navigate... "Help" menus that are useless... default settings that are nutty, etc etc. I NEVER should need to know how to edit my Registry and learn how my PC works... but I did.

I actually don't agree (much) with those who like this board structure. Sure, it's like MANY on the web (because they all use the same basic source structure/code), so I guess familiarity makes it appear "good"... but, IMO it has lots to be desired. There are other boards that are coded differently, and are much faster(loading), easier to read, and easier to view (over view). I've found myself avoiding boards set up with this style -- they tend to be "pretty on the outside"... but lack good functionality and speed, and ultimately this results in a lack of depth (the written posts: information, feedback, opinion, humor, etc), which is why we're here, right? We'll see...

* I also think the smilies are juvenile... just a waste of bandwidth IMO. But it's a minor issue.

* "Different Viewing Modes"-
This is touted as a big "plus", but I find it the opposite. All those different "viewing options" usually just lead to more confusion, missed posts, and other errors (I've seen it happen). MOST PEOPLE, especially newbies will NOT know enough to edit their preferences, so they will esentially be looking at a different board than other people.... just more confusion. Much better IMO is to find a single layout mode, and lock it in for everyone. Having the ability for all those options doesn't make it a good thing IMO.... heck, why not go the full monte and have everyone edit their own personal 200-RULE style-sheet?

Personally I prefer a (low-bandwidth) threaded text view for the index page, and a default display for any thread that's the same for everyone. KISS

The "Hybrid" layout makes no sense, since you can only see it AFTER you've clicked into the thread... jeeze.

You also can't see threads you just looked at marked as "old", because the script doesn't recognize them as "used" yet.... jeeze.

I always thought the old board layout was great, but the coded (navigation) script that it used sucked. For example, when you clicked on & read a thread, it would RE-LOAD THE WHOLE DAMN FIRST PAGE AGAIN when you hit your back button. How STUPID is that? That "problem" is still here with this NEW board. I've mentioned before (how to circumvent it -- see below), but I thought this new board might use a better script that parsed the "target/reloading" of threads intelligently (like from yer local CACHE... Duh!).

Although this new layout is smaller, and reloads quicker than the old (200K) one, it still wastes bandwidth. On the old board I (conservatively) estimate this "problem" (poor script) resulted in a 500+% (!!) waste of bandwidth. What's especially nutty is that THAT WASTEFULLNESS (poor design) may(?) be one reason the site powers-that-be wanted a new layout (suits are usually even more clueless than the tech-geeks).

Although it's not a major concern for me anymore (with broadband), but with a dial-up it was ridiculous. If anyone still has this "molasses" problem, I recommend you "right-click" on the thread you want to read and choose "open in new window". Then you can simply close that new window, and you're back home without a complete new re-loading of the index page.

Enough *****ing... for today...

JDaniel
11-18-2003, 08:59 AM
C'mon you guys. It's the people here that make it a great place to hang out, not the type of software used.

So it's different. So it's not your favorite.

The RR people are still cool. Even if we are all musical misfits.

JD

-Jar-
11-18-2003, 09:09 AM
C'mon you guys. It's the people here that make it a great place to hang out, not the type of software used.

So it's different. So it's not your favorite.

The RR people are still cool. Even if we are all musical misfits.

JD

and, um, it's free.

:rolleyes:

Dave_G
11-18-2003, 09:29 AM
Aww,

it isn't that bad, I'm used to it already.

Dave

Jim Clark
11-18-2003, 01:10 PM
I'm used to it already.
Dave

Ditto. No I don't love it but I admit that I had fun tinkering around with some of the options. I do probably read some additional posts along the way because of the new layout but I don't consider that a time waster-well at least not any more than it already is. I spend a lot of time here poking around anyway, maybe that's one reason it doesn't seem quite so awkard.

I liked Jar's 'free' comment. It's fun and it's free. If either of those two ceased to be I'd be gone too.

jc

bturk667
11-18-2003, 01:48 PM
I have to agree. I liked the old format better. I'll give it a chance though, I enjoy coming here too much. Oh, I hate focking smiley faces!!!

C Bennett
11-18-2003, 04:38 PM
I think its your computer or your IP service. All the pages load before I can count to 5(most in 3) so its not the forum just slow comp or internet service. I like the new forums.

Hyfi
02-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Hey, the pages are loading a little faster now....but the format still sucks! Looks like Audio Asylum is the last form not to use this crappy vBulletin software....and you can see all the responses and jump in wherever you want.

ForeverAutumn
02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Seriously, it's been almost 10 years. Get over it already.

Swish
02-28-2012, 03:19 PM
seriously, it's been almost 10 years. Get over it already.

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Hyfi
02-29-2012, 04:06 AM
Seriously, it's been almost 10 years. Get over it already.

I stayed for those 10 years, I'm entitled to whine.

3LB
02-29-2012, 05:30 AM
I think PEs gonna change their format to something like this one. It'll be a shame, as its one of the fastest loading pages on my 'puter. Still a few of us diehards around here though. I do like that this place has an extensive archive though - these trips down memory lane are fun... for some of us.;)

MasterCylinder
02-29-2012, 06:12 AM
I really hate the new forum, to the point that I won't be participating much at all. The pages don't load any faster for me and if I can't see who replied to posts I won't spend the time weeding through every one just to find an interesting reply hidden in the thread. No offense toward anyone intended. I never read every post anyway, between dialup and time in general. I think we all should migrate over to Audio Assylum. The pages are fast even for me and they sport the expanded thread. All the stupid little bells and whistles were added at the expense of functionality. These developers are morons that think smiley faces will make me so much happier than a page that can load in less than 30 seconds. Did you ever notice that the people who actually use something are never the ones who get to make the suggestions on how to make it better?

See yas around.......maybe

Hey Hyfi :
Remember when they changed it up the last time and we also thought it sucked then ?
Well.............we were right.
It just keeps getting worse.

Hyfi
02-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Hey Hyfi :
Remember when they changed it up the last time and we also thought it sucked then ?
Well.............we were right.
It just keeps getting worse.

It's really a shame. The base group of members that have stuck it out are a great community. Seems like newbies come and post one question and don't stick around.

I have been posting alot lately at AudioKarma because there are so many threads to get involved in.

MasterCylinder
02-29-2012, 06:28 AM
It's really a shame. The base group of members that have stuck it out are a great community. Seems like newbies come and post one question and don't stick around.

I have been posting alot lately at AudioKarma because there are so many threads to get involved in.

I've been visiting another message board recently and having a great time............learning a lot also.
It deals with drums and drummers.
I have recently purchased a new set of drums and they are shiny and gorgeous..........I have posted many pretty photos of them on the other site...........I was going to post one photo here and show all my friends but this board rejected the photo because it was too big.................on the other site I have posted 9 of these photos that are "too large".
This place was really fun back in the late 90s................then, when they went to a new format, 67% of the members left...........those of us that are still here do not post as much because this board is so slow.

BarryL
02-29-2012, 05:30 PM
I really hate the new forum

I've been away from this board for a long time, and now being back, I don't notice anything different from how it was a year ago.

I'll miss you.

Hyfi
03-01-2012, 03:53 AM
I've been away from this board for a long time, and now being back, I don't notice anything different from how it was a year ago.

I'll miss you.

Not much to miss but thanks for stopping by. Always nice to see an old moniker.

DarrenH
03-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Hifi, quit complaining.

I see you over at AudioKarma a lot.