lost and anxious newbie question... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : lost and anxious newbie question...

jRd.solutions
02-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Hi guys

It's been a while since I am reading reviews, forum threads, articles, etc. I would describe myself as a music lover, beeing audio enthusiastic ;). I am trying to build a stereo sound system that would fit my needs, but with a student budget. My equipment is now: Marantz 2275 receiver, Konka DVD player and costum (Graal Accoustic) speakers.

I have had these 2way speakers designed and made several years ago by a man who's been doing this for years as a hobby. But my needs have changed since. I would now like to have more detail sound, more bass, and that 3dimmensionnal effect I've dreaming about (can't wait to hear the full potential of my trip hop, jazz and electro music.....).

This is why I have decided to make my own 3-way diy speakers.

Do you have any suggestions about what project I should use? I'm not a pro with electronics, but I learn fast. I have looked at many projects on http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/homeaudio.html, http://home1.stofanet.dk/troels.gravesen/, and others.

The thing is: I'm lost. How do you test the xover, should I use MDF, veneer, what kind of drivers should I use, does all capacitors and other electronic stuff are equal, etc... Also, what would be the most cost effective project?

I would like the parts (except the cabinet) to cost under 300$. I can do everything here on my own as long as I have adequate plans and schematics. I want accurate bass, so I won't need a sub. And MOST OF ALL :) I want sound quality...

That's why I'm asking for your advise and suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

BRANDONH
02-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Hi guys

It's been a while since I am reading reviews, forum threads, articles, etc. I would describe myself as a music lover, beeing audio enthusiastic ;). I am trying to build a stereo sound system that would fit my needs, but with a student budget. My equipment is now: Marantz 2275 receiver, Konka DVD player and costum (Graal Accoustic) speakers.

I have had these 2way speakers designed and made several years ago by a man who's been doing this for years as a hobby. But my needs have changed since. I would now like to have more detail sound, more bass, and that 3dimmensionnal effect I've dreameing about (can't wait to hear the full potential of my trip hop, jazz and electro music.....).

Do you have any suggestions about what prject I should use? I'm not a pro with electronics, but I learn fast. I have looked at many projects on http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/homeaudio.html, http://home1.stofanet.dk/troels.gravesen/, and others.

The thing is: I'm lost. Should I make my own xover, or use a madisound.com one, should I ... use MDF, veneer, ... Also, what would be the most cost effective project?

I would like the parts (except the cabinet) to cost under 300$. I cand do everything here on my own as long as I have adequate plans and schematics. I want accurate bass, so I won't need a sub. And MOST OF ALL :) I wan't sound quality...

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

these guys did my custom crossovers and they are very good at what they do
http://www.vertekxtc.com/
1-800-597-1045
ask for Guy Veralrud
Tell them Brandon sent you.
I can send him an email and let him know that you may contact him.

zepman1
02-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Try asking around at the Parts Express forum. I hear they are very helpful and knowledgable. Most of the crossovers are already designed for these projects I think, you just need to buy the parts. I'm looking to get into DIY speakers as well, but am just in the preliminary stages of researching what I want to do.

MCH
02-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Since you say you enjoy music I would go with a 2 way system and a nice sub. Having the bass produced with a sub makes the system much more efficient. Most recievers do not have enough power to produce good bass and drive the rest of the speaker efficiently. When I went to a 2way speaker and a sub there was no going back to my 3-ways.
For 2way speakers I would suggest a proven build. There are many good proven plans on the internet. A good one I believe and have built many, are Ed's ARdiy's. The plans are available on this site. Designing crossovers is not easy and can be disappointing without much experience. For a sub I would go with a sealed 15" like the Tempest by Adire. There are other good subs also, but this sub really impressed me for my music addiction.
I've recently built a full-range speaker system that also sounds great with a sub. This is even simpler as there is no cross-over. But a sub is a must to get the fulfilling bass.

You can see some of my speaker builds and sub in the Gallery section. I'm finishing another radical build for a brother-in-law using Ed's ARdiy's speaker combo. Will post pics soon.

Good luck and I hope you find the system that will transcend your music and mind. Music is food for the soul.

BRANDONH
02-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Hi guys

I have had these 2way speakers designed and made several years ago by a man who's been doing this for years as a hobby. But my needs have changed since. I would now like to have more detail sound, more bass, and that 3dimmensionnal effect I've dreaming about (can't wait to hear the full potential of my trip hop, jazz and electro music.....).

Do you have any suggestions about what project I should use? I'm not a pro with electronics, but I learn fast. I have looked at many projects on http://www.partsexpress.com/projectshowcase/homeaudio.html, http://home1.stofanet.dk/troels.gravesen/, and others.

The thing is: I'm lost. How do you test the xover, should I use MDF, veneer, what kind of drivers should I use, does all capacitors and other electronic stuff are equal, etc... Also, what would be the most cost effective project?

I would like the parts (except the cabinet) to cost under 300$. I can do everything here on my own as long as I have adequate plans and schematics. I want accurate bass, so I won't need a sub. And MOST OF ALL :) I want sound quality...

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

Did you make contact with Guy at Vertek?
He emailed me back saying he will do what he can to answer your questions.
But you gotta call them and its an 800 number anyway whats to loose?

jRd.solutions
02-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Did you make contact with Guy at Vertek?
He emailed me back saying he will do what he can to answer your questions.
But you gotta call them and its an 800 number anyway whats to loose?

thanks for the info!

But I was planning to do the xover by myself, to learn a bit about electronics and stuff! But that info is still useful, i'll keep it.

Jordan