Frequency Range Help. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Frequency Range Help.

hamburglar
02-03-2006, 11:22 AM
I get confused on the frequency ranges on speakers.

I am looking at 2 speakers right now. the Canton LE 190 and the Axiom M80ti.

Here is what their two sites have listed. Am I correct that the Canton has a larger range?

thanks for any help.

Canton LE 190
# Frequency response: 20...30.000 Hz
# Crossover response: 300 / 3.200 Hz

Axiom M80ti
Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz): 34 - 22 kHz
Freq Resp +3dB- 9dB (Hz): 25 - 22kHz

Resident Loser
02-03-2006, 11:46 AM

Here is what their two sites have listed. Am I correct that the Canton has a larger range?

thanks for any help.

Canton LE 190

Axiom M80ti

...but with no tolerance (+/- XdB) given (as with the Axiom), a fair assessment of specs isn't possible...not that specs are the be-all and end-all, that's only the beginning...with speakers at least.

jimHJJ(...BTW crossover frequencies mean nothing when comparing bandwidth, it just indicates roughly the region where the woofer hands-off to the mid and it in turn hands-of to the tweet...)

nightflier
02-03-2006, 02:46 PM

thanks for any help.

Canton LE 190

Axiom M80ti

Like the other poster said, w/o decibel toletrance, it's hard to tell. That said, 20Hz is lower than most subwoofers and I just can't imagine a speaker being able to go that low elegantly. Are you sure you got the specs right on the Canton?

BTW. the M80 is one amazing speaker. FYI: that it is a 4 ohm load, too, so you need a decent amp to really get the full benefit of that speaker. I don't know what the Cantons are, but given that they are German, they probably are 4 ohm as well.

RGA
02-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Any speaker that does not give you the +/- number is not helpful. A speaker rated 34hz to 23khz +/- 3db usually means that the speaker is -3db (or 3 decibals lower in volume) at 34 hz than it would be relative to other points on the frequency spectrum. +3db is 3 decibals louder.

As you can see though it is totally not helpful becuase what you would need to know is at which frequency does the speaker rise +3db and which frequency does it dip 3db. A speaker that has a 1db rise or spike in the treble part of the band may be very very annoying while a speaker that has a 5 decibal drop there may sound quite nice.

Of course even all of this can be thwarted just by listening to them -- which is why it is the best thing to do.

accastil
02-04-2006, 03:29 AM
theoretically, the wider the range is, the better. however, the range has to be cover much of the audible range and that would be 20hz to 20khz. but if i were you, id stop looking at these numbers and give it a listen instead. trust your ears over these specs.