First Sighting Audio White Van [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First Sighting Audio White Van

JohnMichael
02-03-2006, 11:03 AM
I have heard of them but had never seen one until today. Driving in Ohio I saw a white van with PA plates and packed full of Millennium Theater Systems. They were parked in a parking lot with the doors open so all could see what they were selling. Later today I will stop by and hear the sales pitch. They do exist.

PAT.P
02-03-2006, 12:06 PM
I have heard of them but had never seen one until today. Driving in Ohio I saw a white van with PA plates and packed full of Milenium Theater Systems. They were parked in a parking lot with the doors open so all could see what they were selling. Later today I will stop by and hear the sales pitch. They do exist.Dont forget the camera for pics,never saw this famous white van.Just make sure they dont see you :D

Worf101
02-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Bounty on a pic of them scumbags... Then post it on the internet.. let everybody see what criminals look like in the flesh...

Da Worfster

Florian
02-05-2006, 03:04 PM
I wrote about that a while ago, they tried to sell me some speakers here in germany too. HAHA, too bad they got the wrong guy and i trashed them full of ribbons, frequency extions, room nodes and that i will never buy a box. Those guys never even heard of that and gave up :p

Jamie
02-05-2006, 04:41 PM
SDAT's coming to a neighborhood near you.
White van delivery.

Jimmy C
02-06-2006, 06:02 AM
I have heard of them but had never seen one until today. Driving in Ohio I saw a white van with PA plates and packed full of Millennium Theater Systems. They were parked in a parking lot with the doors open so all could see what they were selling. Later today I will stop by and hear the sales pitch. They do exist.

...ten years, I have been approached by them as many times. And, yup... it IS usually a white van.

One time I saw the police asking them some questions and checking out their wares. The van was parked in a deli parking lot selling, so I think the store owner was a bit miffed. Anyway, the cops let them go... I suppose everything was legal.

How much are these things anyway? I never hung around for the entire sales pitch. Hey, maybe if I had a kid entering college, these would be the ticket! I figure "Jr." would need a large party speaker that could get soaked with beer. I mean, if they are only $100 or so...

I remember one time the they told me I was "stylin'" in my car. I suppose I was getting buttered-up for a sale...lol.

GMichael
02-06-2006, 12:26 PM
I have seen a few of these "white vans" over the years. Some have been yellow station wagons with wooden panels. All have had fast talking Salesmen trying to sell their "top of the line" speakers & stereos.

"What do ya need?" "We have everything worth having." "Where else can you get a deal like this on quality audio?" "Even if you don't need a new stereo, you can sell this at a great profit." "Or you could use this and sell you're old stereo." "I bet your system isn't 5000 watts of pure power like this unit."

I bet they aren't still there when you go back.

JohnMichael
02-06-2006, 02:37 PM
I have seen a few of these "white vans" over the years. Some have been yellow station wagons with wooden panels. All have had fast talking Salesmen trying to sell their "top of the line" speakers & stereos.

"What do ya need?" "We have everything worth having." "Where else can you get a deal like this on quality audio?" "Even if you don't need a new stereo, you can sell this at a great profit." "Or you could use this and sell you're old stereo." "I bet your system isn't 5000 watts of pure power like this unit."

I bet they aren't still there when you go back.

Nope. I grabbed the EOS 10D and a telephoto lens and they were gone when I returned.

ToddL
02-07-2006, 12:47 PM
These "white van" speakers are everywhere. Last summer a man and his teenage son came into the store where I work to get my opinion on how much his speakers were worth. I generously told him $150 (canadian) was a generous estimate. This guy's son got the white van story that they were $1400 speakers that were factory clearout and that they would sell to him for $700. They're faces were a very bright shade of embarrased red. All the guy could say was "live and learn" to his son. The speakers names usually start with Audio eg. "Audio Technique" and have ugly honeycombe grilles over the woofer and tweeter

bfalls
02-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Do you think sales would increase if they changed the color of the van? I hate to say it, but if people are gullible enough to buy from a white van they'd buy from a blue van, or green, or yellow... They'd probably feel safer since they've heard white vans sell junk.

GMichael
02-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Do you think sales would increase if they changed the color of the van? I hate to say it, but if people are gullible enough to buy from a white van they'd buy from a blue van, or green, or yellow... They'd probably feel safer since they've heard white vans sell junk.

You have a point. Maybe a blue SUV with gold trim.