New Amp-Need Power Help?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Amp-Need Power Help??

ironandsteel
02-03-2006, 07:00 AM
First off I did do a search for surge protectors and found many differing opinions on levels of necessary protection. So I guess this question too will result in many open ended answers. I just got an amp (B&K ST 202, my first 'separate' component and have a question on my surge protector. A salesman at a local audio store (not big box) suggested I check my surge protector for its ability to carry 'high current' levels, sufficient for my amp. I have an older Monster HTS 800, surge protector, does anyone know if this is sufficient, or should I just plug straight into the wall. Historically, we have pretty predicitable power, how clean is another question. :confused:

2chAlex
02-03-2006, 08:44 PM
You might want to check your local Sears. Mine had a Monster HTS 1000 which does have provision for high current amp and banks for video and audio. The best part was the give away price far below the list of 149.99. Also Monster on their web site had them in the outlet store for 104 and change. Since you now have Monster and thinking you might want to stick with em.

ruadmaa
02-04-2006, 05:25 AM
First off I did do a search for surge protectors and found many differing opinions on levels of necessary protection. So I guess this question too will result in many open ended answers. I just got an amp (B&K ST 202, my first 'separate' component and have a question on my surge protector. A salesman at a local audio store (not big box) suggested I check my surge protector for its ability to carry 'high current' levels, sufficient for my amp. I have an older Monster HTS 800, surge protector, does anyone know if this is sufficient, or should I just plug straight into the wall. Historically, we have pretty predicitable power, how clean is another question. :confused:

You would most likely do just as well purchasing a decent quality surge protector from Home Depot, Radio Shack, or any other store that sells them. I have used no more than that for well over 40 years and have had no problems.

bfalls
02-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Ebay still has many listings for the Monster 3500 II which has high current outlets. The retail is $399 but you can "buy it now" from $158 + shipping to $199 shipping incl, with a Monster $50 rebate until Feb 28. I bought one prior to Christmas and was pleasantly surprised with a noticable improvement in video quality. I haven't really noticed a difference in audio whether plugging my receiver and amps directly to the wall, in the 3500 high current outlets, or 3500 CD outlet as recommended by a poster on this forum. I'll still use it for surge protection since I've experienced damage to modems, cordless phones and satellite receivers from electrical storms. I believe the Monster has up to $100,000 coverage for connected equipment.