Biggest best speaker company [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Biggest best speaker company

Rocker82
02-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Im having some trouble finding some good speakers i really dont know that much abotu them iv done a bit of research but i really dont know what to get. Id like get get one of the best speakers from one of the best companies to make it a bit easier. im looking for some bookshelf speakers for my room on my computer desk. for movies, music, games and everythign else. And i dunno if it matters but i listen to broad range of music classical - to heavy metal. id like bigger sized speakers because i have realized that the little ones can sound quite alright just dont have as much tone, and oomph as bigger ones. any suggestions for speakers would definetly be appreciated

Florian
02-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Ääähheaammmm!

Since your looking for the best, let me start you off.

Kharma, Perigee, Genesis, Apogee, Nearfield Acoustics, SoundLab, Wilson Audio, Martin Logan, Magnepan, Acoustat, Alon......

ooooh your looking for PC speakers. Well the best companys dont make PC speakers or speakers for little HT's-

I can wholeheartly recommend Tannoy, VMPS (626), Kplisch and Totem for starters tough. Whats your budget, driving electronics, room setup etc?

Woochifer
02-01-2006, 11:27 PM
"best" is a very relative definition. There is no universally accepted definition, otherwise we would all own the same speakers.

You mentioned that these speakers are for a computer desk. Are these going to be played through a computer soundcard? If so, you might want to look into active nearfield monitors, which are generally used in mixing studios. Those do not need a separate amplifier and are designed with a radiating pattern amenable to close proximity listening (1 to 3 feet). Companies making these types of speakers include Genelec, Mackie, Yamaha, JBL, ATC, Meyer Sound, and Dynaudio. The choice of monitor would of course depend on your listening preferences and your budget. If you're aiming for a larger sound, you could always supplement a bookshelf speaker or active monitor with a subwoofer.

Mark of Cenla
02-02-2006, 09:32 AM
Try Boston Acoustics or Polk. Peace.

jimwiz
02-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Im having some trouble finding some good speakers i really dont know that much abotu them iv done a bit of research but i really dont know what to get. Id like get get one of the best speakers from one of the best companies to make it a bit easier. im looking for some bookshelf speakers for my room on my computer desk. for movies, music, games and everythign else. And i dunno if it matters but i listen to broad range of music classical - to heavy metal. id like bigger sized speakers because i have realized that the little ones can sound quite alright just dont have as much tone, and oomph as bigger ones. any suggestions for speakers would definetly be appreciated

I'd look at Klipsch. Contrary to another post, they do make high quality speakers suitable for PC use. Check out their website at www.klipsch.com

wayner86
02-02-2006, 04:07 PM
A friend of mine has a pair of wharfedale speakers hooked up to his pc and they sound very nice, they are definitely worth a listen.

RGA
02-02-2006, 05:39 PM
Wharfedale also has a pro line with the amps built in so they could very well make for a great set-up for the computer or for DJ sound mixing. Now these are budget end of things but I saw a pro set of Diamond 8.2 for $200.00Cad which is RIDICULOUSLY good for this money - That's about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the non pro version which is already quite good.

Mark of Cenla
02-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Rocker82 did not say that the speakers were for his PC. He said that they are for his computer desk. I have had speakers on my computer desk for quite a while, and until recently they were for my stereo, not my PC. Now they are for both. Peace.

Resident Loser
02-03-2006, 10:16 AM
...they should be shielded...

jimHJJ(...of course that goes without saying, at least up 'til now...)