Onkyo 989 no new upgrades @$%&!* [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo 989 no new upgrades @$%&!*

dave g
02-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Anyone else out there with a 989 and po'ed about there support of this "future proof" receiver? I called cust. support to see why no dpl2x upgrade yet and they said "not at this time" BS. Dpl2x has been out for 2 yrs. What are they waiting for? Something must be done!

Jim Clark
02-01-2006, 01:15 PM
The Denon 330 was the first receiver that I purchased as "future proof". I finally had enough of the big receiver companies failing to deliver on promises and went with a dedicated pre/pro. Anthem has a proven record and Arcam is making promises to keep gear up to date as long as possible. Sherwood/Newcastle added the snap EQ function for a 100 dollars which would have been nice if it worked right. Actually Acurus had a pretty big upgrade a year after the model was abandoned. Can't forget about Sunfire(they say the box is now full and won't offer anymore), Lexicon and Meridian. It can be done, at a cost of course. The common thread is that none of these are receivers. Next time around check out a dedicated pre and see if it would work better for you.

Regards,
jc

dave g
02-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Thanks Jim, I guess I learned my lesson,unfortunately I don't have the money for separates especially since I told my wife this receiver is gonna last me a long time.I'm not giving up on Onkyo I paid alot for the 989 ($2200) and I'm getting something out of them!!

N. Abstentia
02-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Well that's just part of technology. There's just no way to predict the future. I wouldn't worry too much about it considering that age of the 989. What is it, 5 years old? 4? That's not too bad at all, and DPLII is hardly worth worrying about anyway.

dave g
02-03-2006, 08:11 AM
DPLIIx to be exact,its not just that onkyo sould offer some kind of trade-in deal if ther not going to offer any more upgrades! And your home theater looks great!

N. Abstentia
02-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks Dave!

But consider Onkyo's position...what would they do with a bunch of 5-7 year old recievers that they took in on trade? I don't think there are any manufacturers with a trade up program. The best you can hope for is a dealer that will let you trade up, but the best you can hope for in that case is 1 year if you're lucky. Most are 30 days.

dave g
02-04-2006, 03:49 PM
I see your point but they shouldn't say its future proof.Yes the Onkyo 989 future proof or 4yrs whichever comes first. After that buy our new future proof receiver which costs even more money.Sorry Onkyo you don't have my sympathy.

N. Abstentia
02-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Sorry Dave, but it's not just Onkyo...it's all manufacturers. It's just impossible to predict the future. Just like with computers, there's no such thing as 'future proof'. Your 989 (or any other receiver designed 6-7 years ago) also does not support HDMI or DVI. And guess what..they're alreay working on the next thing. If you buy a new receiver today, it won't support that next thing!