Auto Digital to Analog Not Working on Receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Auto Digital to Analog Not Working on Receiver

Defshep
02-01-2006, 04:44 AM
I've been having some headaches with my cable provider, Cox, lately. I've gone through three digital tuners in as many weeks. The one I just received seems to work fine. The only problem I've found is that now I have to manually adjust the signal select from digital to analog on my Pioneer 815 receiver now. The signal will, however, automatically switch from analog to digital. I haven't changed any configurations with this new box at all, so maybe it screwed up my receiver. Is that possible? Could it somehow be the box? I get analog just fine, and digital signals. It's just a pain having to manually adjust it everytime I go from basic cable channels to digital movie channels. Any advice?

Jim Clark
02-01-2006, 05:37 AM
Your post doesn't make sense to me, but it is early so maybe it's just me:

"The signal will, however, automatically switch from analog to digital."

-but then-

"It's just a pain having to manually adjust it everytime I go from basic cable channels to digital movie channels."

I found out purely by accident that my cable provider somehow changed things so that I no longer needed any analog connection, even for analog channels. Everything is transmitted by coax now and it was not communicated to me. Doesn't mean you have the same availability but it's worth trying unless you already have. Don't know why it would matter but if you have both optical and coax outputs on your box you could try both of those and see if there's any difference. FWIW, I have a scientifc atlanta 3250hd box.

Regards,
jc

Defshep
02-02-2006, 02:32 AM
Sorry if I rambled on that post, Jim. We have Motorola boxes, and for some reason the basic channels will not produce audio through the coaxial out, only analog. Starz movies only in digital, without even the analog option. Maybe it has something to do with copy protection, since most dvrs don't have digital in. But what if I only had analog connections? I guess it's time for another box...again!

Jim Clark
02-02-2006, 06:33 AM
One more thing before you make the trek, and it's pretty basic but it never hurts to check. Have you assigned the digital inputs to the Pioneer? I'm not familiar with the unit but most have to be assigned through the On Screen guide. It never hurts to make sure that the Pio is set to autoand that a button didn't get pressed incorrectly somewhere along the way. If another box doesn't fix this, and you've tried the above you may have to consider that there is something wrong with the receiver.

jc

Defshep
02-02-2006, 06:41 AM
Right. I'll check the settings. It may have reset somehow. Thanks for your help, Jim.

phillyguy
02-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Our Motorola HD cable box uses an optical out cable. And has sound on digital and analog channels (Comcast is our provider). My receiver doesn't have to flip between the analog and digital cables. Perhaps an optical cable instead of the coax may solve the problem?

recoveryone
02-03-2006, 11:55 PM
maybe I missed something, but did you say how you have the cable box to the AVR conneted. If your using Toslink (optical) then now matter what the signal is it will show digital on the AVR. most cable providers only have true digital surround sound on their premium or high band channels. My provider just recently went full digital on all channels and it is a mix bag of signals. Some are stereo surround FL, FR, Surround...and FR, FL....... and most of my HD channels are full 5.1 when broadcasting HD programing.

thekid
02-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Sorry if I rambled on that post, Jim. We have Motorola boxes, and for some reason the basic channels will not produce audio through the coaxial out, only analog. Starz movies only in digital, without even the analog option. Maybe it has something to do with copy protection, since most dvrs don't have digital in. But what if I only had analog connections? I guess it's time for another box...again!

Def

I have the same reciever and cable box but I am using the optical hook up.

If I understand your post right you may want to check what you have choosen for your signal select on the reciever. From what I have read in the 815 manual unless you select Analog using the Signal Select button on the front the reciver is going to always select the digital signal if that is the source. If you select the Auto option under Signal Select this keeps the signal in Analog unless a Digital signal is detected. I am assuming you set your box up to the TV/Sat connection on the reciever.